PR Card Redirect

Old May 18th 2010, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Janeway is an unknown quantity at this point
Question PR Card Redirect

Hi All,

I know that there have been previous discussions on this topic but, as far as I can see, no definitive answer to the following question:

When you receive your PR Card in the post, does the envelope state "Do not Redirect"? (i.e. Canada Post will not redirect to another address / country)

Do you get a letter asking you to pick the card up from Service Canada or does the envelope contain the actual card?

Many thanks for your help.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Redirect

I don't remember what the envelope said.

The envelope contained the PR card.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Mine came in a plain white envelope - nothing written on it, and yes, the PR card is enclosed.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Great, many thanks for your help!
Old May 18th 2010, 8:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janeway
Great, many thanks for your help!
Hmm, I wouldnt risk too much in trying to get it forwarded on. Simpler just to get hold of the stupid thing once settled at an address in Canada, especially as if you have a UK passport and dont really need it to travel anyway.

I suspect there is some sort of back story to your question...there is a reason CIC wont deliver outside Canada, and if you dont know someone here you trust to FedEx it on to you I wouldnt go putting too much faith in a mail forwarding organisation that CIC may not deliver to anyway if its a PO box number. Thats my 2c anyway.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Hi Iaink,

I understand what you're saying. The 'back story' is that we took a short term apartment rental for two months to ensure our cards were delivered safely. We chased up and discovered that, even though records show that we landed and became permanent residents on a certain date, our address was only added to the necessary system four weeks later and the 30 days started ticking from that point, meaning that our schedule has been thrown out and we are unlikely to receive our cards in time, given the upcoming bank holiday and additional postage time (+1 week)

A few issues have arisen in the UK since we've been here so we've decided to return for a few months, rather than move on in Canada as we had planned. We will be returning to Canada in approximately six months to a year's time but we need our PR cards and a mail redirection seems the only possible solution.

Thanks.
Old May 19th 2010, 9:17 am
Just Joined

MAS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Janeway..
I'm new to this site so I'm not aware of other stories.. but I here’s mine..
I turned up in Vancouver in December last year expecting to receive my PR card on completion of the paperwork .. not so..
As my visit was a short one and I was there just for Christmas I was told I’d have to apply for a “travel document” to re enter Canada.. I asked about my card.. they would only post internally to a Canadian address, they also told me that if the mail was forwarded in any way and intercepted it would be destroyed…!!
On my return to England in January I did apply for a “travel document” basically this is another Canadian Visa but with a expiry date on it.. as you can only spend 183 days outside of Canada.. I’ve read that the Canadian authorities view such a elapsed time out of Canada that your intentions are not to reside in there country..!!

Hope this helps..

Mark
Old May 19th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

When I landed there was not enough time for me to get my PR card before returning to the UK.

When it was time to return to Canada I applied for travel documents.

This was checked by my airline as I was travelling one way, but once I arrived in Canada, I was told that I did not need it as they already had all my details in their system. Get the travel documents anyway, as airline staff do not have access to the same information, an a shiny visa reassures them.

So even if you do not get your PR card now, you will still be able to return within the timescales mentioned without it, so Iaink's advice is good.
Old May 19th 2010, 1:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iaink,

I understand what you're saying. The 'back story' is that we took a short term apartment rental for two months to ensure our cards were delivered safely. We chased up and discovered that, even though records show that we landed and became permanent residents on a certain date, our address was only added to the necessary system four weeks later and the 30 days started ticking from that point, meaning that our schedule has been thrown out and we are unlikely to receive our cards in time, given the upcoming bank holiday and additional postage time (+1 week)

A few issues have arisen in the UK since we've been here so we've decided to return for a few months, rather than move on in Canada as we had planned. We will be returning to Canada in approximately six months to a year's time but we need our PR cards and a mail redirection seems the only possible solution.

Thanks.
Is there someones address in canada you can use to have CIC send them to, then you can just update the address on line

You DONT need the PR card to return to canada. If you hold a UK passport you likely dont even need the hassle of getting the travel document.

Visa waiver passport and return ticket will get you on the plane, ROLF form will get you into the country.

The danger is that your cards could be sent to an address you are not at, and where they go from there is anyones guess!

Best plan is to have them sent to a friends address in canada, and then have them either hold on to them or FedEx them to you in the UK. If you cant do that then I would contact CIC and explain, and have them not send the cards at this point if you are not going to be there, just do it when you return (although you may have to pay by then)
Old May 27th 2010, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

Many thanks for your advice. Given your comments, I decided to send our cards to an acquaintance in Canada. I also arranged a temporary redirect to my UK address as a precautionary measure to ensure that all bank statements etc. are rerouted.

The last info received from the helpline was that there was a two month delay on new applications but, amazingly, the cards arrived in the post today - our last day in Canada (even though we changed our address!)

We're very relieved!

Many Thanks.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Hi All,

Many thanks for your advice. Given your comments, I decided to send our cards to an acquaintance in Canada. I also arranged a temporary redirect to my UK address as a precautionary measure to ensure that all bank statements etc. are rerouted.

The last info received from the helpline was that there was a two month delay on new applications but, amazingly, the cards arrived in the post today - our last day in Canada (even though we changed our address!)

We're very relieved!

Many Thanks.
Congratulations. I bet its a relieve. I know I was stressing waiting for mine, good to have that card in hand.

Ray