British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   PR Card processing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/pr-card-processing-910338/)

Aqua Mar 12th 2018 5:47 pm

PR Card processing

Hi
Does any one have experience with the replacement of a PR card, specifically the processing time to delivery?

I can see on my PR card processing that it was complete on Friday 16th Feb but still have not received it in the post!

Snowy560 Mar 12th 2018 9:25 pm

Re: PR Card processing

Call the IRCC call centre with your file number and ask the agent if there is a record of when it was sent out or whether you'll be asked to pick it up in person from a local office. The Agent has access to more information than is available online. And/or send a webform enquiry.

BristolUK Mar 12th 2018 10:48 pm

Based on my experiences the application sits somewhere before finally being recorded on the system close to the time it takes to process (so not much help when enquiring really) and then the new card arrives a few days after that.

My card was in my hands a few months ago while the system was only saying something about process underway. The same happened to someone else on BE too.

If yours is actually showing complete I'd have expected it to have arrived by now.

Mine was for a straightforward renewal. By 'replacement' perhaps yours is to replace a missing one and maybe that's different. :unsure:

Dorothy Mar 12th 2018 11:05 pm

How do you see if it's processing? We've been waiting since December! Got a request for new photos in late January, sent them 1 February but not got a card yet. Is the PR card tracking different from the visa application thing?

Snowy560 Mar 12th 2018 11:13 pm

When initial PR Cards are involved and there has been a photo retake required I've never been able to see the status online: only for renewals.
If you sent the new photos on Feb 1st, they're probably still in the queue.
I assume you tracked them and know that they arrived?

Other than that, I'd suggest what I wrote in Post #2: the Agent should be able to tell you the latest date the photos were received that IRCC are working on and whether yours are in the system (or send a Webform). You'll need the R number which should be on the Photo retake request letter.

BristolUK Mar 12th 2018 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12461279)
How do you see if it's processing? We've been waiting since December! Got a request for new photos in late January, sent them 1 February but not got a card yet. Is the PR card tracking different from the visa application thing?

What seems to happen for renewal PR Card is, say processing time is 80 days.
For 70 odd days nothing appears on their system.
Something on screen says if it's not showing, either they've not received it or it's not recorded yet because it only gets recorded when they start processing.

Then it does show up (finally) but then you get the card in a couple of days. So as tracking it's pretty useless. Doesn't even say if they received it until it's almost done.

I was keeping tabs on mine, checking every few days and then it turned up a few days after I last checked and found nothing.

Just saw Snowy's other response. Pay more attention to that than mine. :thumbup:

Mine can just be of a general nature.

Dorothy Mar 13th 2018 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12461285)
When initial PR Cards are involved and there has been a photo retake required I've never been able to see the status online: only for renewals.
If you sent the new photos on Feb 1st, they're probably still in the queue.
I assume you tracked them and know that they arrived?

Other than that, I'd suggest what I wrote in Post #2: the Agent should be able to tell you the latest date the photos were received that IRCC are working on and whether yours are in the system (or send a Webform). You'll need the R number which should be on the Photo retake request letter.

Thanks. We senta webform enquiry this morning so expect them to get back to us some time in July or so :rolleyes:. We have holidays booked in BC in June so he needs hisPR card before that. It's going to my sister'shouse and I was hoping she could bring it with her when she's here in April.

Thanks again. You guys have been a great help along the way :)

Snowy560 Mar 13th 2018 12:27 am

Are you outside of Canada?
If the photo retake was done outside Canada (i.e. you left soon after landing) you might not get the Card sent even to your sister's house.
If that happens, be prepared to get a PRTD.

MelVan Mar 14th 2018 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12461321)
Are you outside of Canada?
If the photo retake was done outside Canada (i.e. you left soon after landing) you might not get the Card sent even to your sister's house.
If that happens, be prepared to get a PRTD.

Snowy560, do you have more information on this? Does it apply to initial PR cards as well? I had a request for more photos for an initial PR and as I was outside Canada (as I'd landed but returned home soon after landing to finish up here), I had to get them done outside Canada. I have a Canadian residential address, so that's all OK.

Snowy560 Mar 14th 2018 2:20 am

I just think you need to be prepared that the Card might not be sent (because you are outside of Canada which will be evident by the photo retake) and that if this is the case (that the card doesn't arrive) you'll need to be prepared to get a PRTD.

IRCC doesn't want PR Cards to be sent out of Canada.

Dorothy Mar 14th 2018 2:26 am

Well , I discovered why my sister didn't get the card. CIC input her address wrong. My partner wrote "123 Main St" and on the letter he got asking for photos it says "128 Main St". She's going to go ask the neighbours if they got an envelope from CIC. In the meantime we've done a change of address on the website.

MelVan Mar 14th 2018 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12462141)
I just think you need to be prepared that the Card might not be sent (because you are outside of Canada which will be evident by the photo retake) and that if this is the case (that the card doesn't arrive) you'll need to be prepared to get a PRTD.

IRCC doesn't want PR Cards to be sent out of Canada.

Many thanks.

Won't IRCC actively need to refuse my application for a PR Card (it is showing as processing in MyCIC) for the card not to be sent?

If IRCC is actively assuming that a PR card "would be sent out of Canada" when it is sent to a Canadian address (such assumption made on the basis that compliant photos were taken outside of Canada when there is not a positive requirement that they be taken in Canada), that would be administrative decision making error amenable to judicial review. I'm not saying I'd go to the trouble of heading to court, but I'd hope that a governmental agency was not actively doing something that would fall foul of the law.

Are you aware of any express policy statement which evidences what you say is the IRCC position?

I can and will of course get a PRTD if it comes to that.

MelVan Mar 14th 2018 4:01 am

I may have partly answered my own question: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-30-2014.html

That operational bulletin relevantly says this:

"Summary

This Operational Bulletin (OB) summarizes and clarifies the procedures for Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) distribution by the Case Processing Centre in Sydney (CPC-S), Nova Scotia, when an applicant has indicated the address of a third party representative as their residential and/or mailing address.

Background

Since May 2012, as part of a pilot project, the majority of Phase II (replacement or renewal) PR Cards are mailed directly to permanent residents (PRs). Previously, all Phase II PRs were required to appear in person at Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) offices in Canada to collect their PR Cards. By mailing PR Cards to immigration representatives, it opened the possibility that these cards may then be forwarded to the PR overseas, circumventing the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations.

For PR Cards issued to new immigrants upon entry to Canada (Phase I cards), it may be appropriate for clients to provide the address of a third party (friend, relative, service provider or a paid representative) in Canada in order to facilitate processing and issuance of the card following their arrival in Canada, as new immigrants may not have a permanent address.

Instructions

Phase I cards

CPC-S will continue to mail the PR Cards to the Canadian address provided by the new PR upon arrival, according to the process currently in place. However, where there are clear indications that the initial entry into Canada was only of short duration and the client provided a third party address for the purpose of forwarding their initial PR Card outside of Canada, these cases should be flagged with a note indicating that the client is outside Canada, and if relevant, the fact that the photo retake was done outside Canada and submitted to produce the first PR Card along with the date this information is recorded."

This suggests that the PR card should still be issued and sent to the Canadian mailing address supplied, but the file will be "flagged" if what is emboldened above applies. I do wonder, however, how the mere provision of a Canadian mailing address (in accordance with regulation 56(2)(iv) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227)) can provide the basis for an inference to be drawn that the provision of that address was "for the purpose of forwarding their initial PR Card outside of Canada", even if it is combined with an "initial entry into Canada...only of short duration".

The observation "by mailing PR Cards to immigration representatives, it opened the possibility that these cards may then be forwarded to the PR overseas, circumventing the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations" is curious. The only relevant regulation is regulation 55 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227), which states "A permanent resident card shall only be provided or issued in Canada".

What is not clear to me is why IRCC takes the view that a representative or other third party would be "circumventing" the Act and Regulations by providing a PR card to a PR overseas. The reference in regulation 55 to "provided or issued in Canada" is to the provider / issuer - ie, Her Majesty in the right of Canada.

I speculate that the "flagging" of the initial PR card application may be to encourage closer scrutiny of an application for a Phase II card and in particular the residency requirement. It is clear from the Act and Regulations that so long as a Canadian mailing address is provided, and the landing documents and photos are otherwise in order, then there is no basis for an initial PR card not to be issued, even if the photos were taken overseas.

Snowy560 Mar 14th 2018 4:07 am

The law (IRPR) says that a PR Card will only be issued or provided in Canada.

IRCC is trying to prevent them being mailed or sent outside Canada. Whether you would be successful arguing that they must be issued and sent to the Canadian address you provided, even if you are not in Canada, I can't say.

Snowy560 Mar 14th 2018 4:08 am

Yes (post #13).

If a PRC isn't issued within 180 days, of course, you have to reapply for a new one. And you can't reapply for a new PRC unless you're in Canada ...