Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR card never arrived for daughter

PR card never arrived for daughter

Old Oct 28th 2013, 11:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR card never arrived for daughter

Are you flying with United Airlines itself, or on an Air Canada flight with a United codeshare?

The only question you need to ask the airline is whether someone with an (Irish, presumably) passport can board a Canada bound flight. Legally, the answer is yes. A return ticket is not mandatory. And the fact that someone may be a PR is not the airline's concern, even if it is, it is also legal for a PR to travel to Canada with simply a passport.

CIC know that perfectly well, so why have they kept up the myth that a PR Card is mandatory for the last 10 years or so? Perhaps because the idea that there are two classes of PR - one with visa waiver passport, and the other without - goes against something in the Canadian sense of fairness. Or they just don't understand the distinction. Either way, the law is there and has been taken advantage of by many people. There is always the risk of the airline denying boarding (which would be unlawful, since a return ticket isn't mandatory) but there has not been one confirmed case on these forums.

All that said, it's recommended to fly Air Canada in this situation as they're the only airline that really appears to understand the rules.

Should you call the airline? Perhaps, but you should be prepared to escalate to a higher level as there is a high chance a call centre agent will just read from a script. And verbal advice won't help you if there is a problem later on.

Something separate to consider: Are you flying via the United States? If so, there may be additional issues with the U.S. visa waiver program.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 28th 2013 at 12:28 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Yes we are flying via United States and no air canada are not involved at all. I have since called united airlines and they told me it will be up to whoever we get on the day and there's nothing they can advise on it because they'r only the flight Reps, they don't make the immigration rules. Anyways I was told to bring the certificate of landing and the confirmation of residency and hopefully there won't be any problem. I am going to also apply for the travel document via London because that's what CIC advised. In meantime I cannot see why she wouldn't get back in as a visitor anyways and the pr card will be en route by then. I think it's a ridiculous situation to be in and I can't see them refusing her entry under the circumstances and they have all the information on they'r computers anyway. I cannot see any way other than taking the risk because I'm not losing the 5,000 dollars it cost to book our family a trip home.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda
Yes we are flying via United States and no air canada are not involved at all. I have since called united airlines and they told me it will be up to whoever we get on the day and there's nothing they can advise on it because they'r only the flight Reps, they don't make the immigration rules. Anyways I was told to bring the certificate of landing and the confirmation of residency and hopefully there won't be any problem.
As long as they allow her to board the flight (which they should - but you never know) then there will be absolutely no problem with Canadian Immigration. Once again - the PR Card is not mandatory for admission at a port of entry as a permanent resident. By the way, being admitted as a "visitor" should never arise. Worst thing that will happen will be a delay while they look up her status in the system. She should bring a copy of her confirmation of permanent residence.

I am going to also apply for the travel document via London because that's what CIC advised.
Not sure if following CIC advice is a good thing. Apparently, it is not all that straightforward to get a travel document out of CIC in London - unless you're in London. They used to issue travel documents same day to those who apply in person, however it's not clear if they still do that.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ande_tvrp.aspx

Perhaps it would be better to use the urgent processing facility to get a PR Card:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...processing.asp

Perhaps consider ignoring what CIC have told you already. The existing card might show up some day, or it might not. The option should be there to make a new application under urgent processing and pay the C$50 fee.

II cannot see any way other than taking the risk because I'm not losing the 5,000 dollars it cost to book our family a trip home.
She won't have a problem with Immigration.

If she does have a problem with the airline, she'll be the first reported case on this forum in a very long time. Usually, even if the individual check in agent has a problem or doesn't understand the rules, it can be resolved by talking to a supervisor.

In the absolute worst case, if they refused to carry her back to Canada she could always get back on an Air Canada flight or b. she could travel to London and possibly get a travel document quickly. The airline would of course probably have breached its contract as it's well established that a passport is sufficient documentation to travel to Canada and a return ticket is not required.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 28th 2013 at 2:27 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Thank you so much for your response. Let's hope there are no hitches and all runs smoothly. I will let you All know. Thank you again.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:32 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda
We are travelling with united airlines. Do you suggest I contact them? Thank you
Yes, call their customer services and explain, ask for an email address for customer services. Then to save time typing cut and paste from your posts on here and edit as necessary. Then attach a scanned copy of all your paper work and PR cards, hit send. Then when they give you the authority to travel ask them to make a note on your booking reference, print the email from them and take it with you for backup.

Piece of cake

Andrew