Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card & Landing and returning to UK

PR Card & Landing and returning to UK

Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Buddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the roughBuddy is a jewel in the rough
Default PR Card & Landing and returning to UK

Hi all,

As the thread says, please can someone let me know about the PR card process if you only intend to land in Canada and then return to the UK.

From my understanding, you need to complete the application and put on a residential address. However, if you are just landing with the intent to return to the UK, this is not possible.

Or, if you just land in Canada can you postpone applying for your PR, until you intend to return to Canada to settle (18-months)?

Any help, appreciated. If you understand any of that above - give yourself a round of applause!

Thank you!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

tioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nice
Default Re: PR Card & Landing and returning to UK

Originally Posted by Buddy
Hi all,

As the thread says, please can someone let me know about the PR card process if you only intend to land in Canada and then return to the UK.

From my understanding, you need to complete the application and put on a residential address. However, if you are just landing with the intent to return to the UK, this is not possible.

Or, if you just land in Canada can you postpone applying for your PR, until you intend to return to Canada to settle (18-months)?

Any help, appreciated. If you understand any of that above - give yourself a round of applause!

Thank you!
I understand, I've been wondering the same thing. They say you can't give a PO Box number as your address but are there mailing services, or even legal services who's address you could use to receive your PR card and forward onto you? I know that's effectively the same as a PO Box but wondered if it was a way around it.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:13 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buddy
Hi all,

Thank you!
Once you "land" you have PR status. If you dont currently have a Canadian address at that time they usually give you a form to send in once you do have an address for them to send the PR card to. I dont believe there is a time limit on that - you could possibly send it a year or so later.

Obviously you cannot be outside Canada for too long otherwise you will fail to meet the residency obligation.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

So I take it you could land anywhere in Canada and give a friend or relatives address in Canada for the PR to be sent to which could then be forwarded on to you?

We wish to do the same. Plan to live in Toronto but for landing we were thinking of a holiday in Banff via Calgary.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Once you "land" you have PR status. If you dont currently have a Canadian address at that time they usually give you a form to send in once you do have an address for them to send the PR card to. I dont believe there is a time limit on that - you could possibly send it a year or so later.

Obviously you cannot be outside Canada for too long otherwise you will fail to meet the residency obligation.
No, you have 180 days to give an address to CIC, if you don't you have to apply for a new PR card when you are resident in Canada.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, you have 180 days to give an address to CIC, if you don't you have to apply for a new PR card when you are resident in Canada.
At a cost... of course!

Also, to OP... You do not HAVE to land, you could just come as a visitor, then activate your residency at a later date.... but just remember the expiry date on the visa... if it lapses, you have to start all-over!