Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR card expiring and out of country - advice please!

PR card expiring and out of country - advice please!

Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Greenstriper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR card expiring and out of country - advice please!

Hi

We have PR status (landed in October 2008) and lived continually in Canada from October 2008 until June 2012 when we returned to UK.

Our PR cards expire in mid November this year, which is a pain as we are seriously thinking about moving back to Canada within the next year or so.

Now, I realise that you have to be in Canada to renew your PR cards and that if you are not, you apply for a permanent residence travel permit. My problem is that the PRTP, once received, only gives you 30 days from that day to then travel back into Canada. As we would be selling our house and moving us, two young children and a cat back, I think this would be heaping huge amounts of stress upon us as we could not be sure that we would get the permit or book flights/complete on house etc until we knew for sure we would get the permit. Having said that, we would have fulfilled the 730 days residency requirement so I can't think that there should be a problem, but heh, this is bureaucracy and you just never know.

My question is, is it possible to use a correspondence address in Canada to renew your PR cards with? If so, I could use a friend's address, we get our cards renewed, she sends them onto me here and the time stress is all relieved.

Any help, much appreciated!!!

thanks, louise
PS any errors are my own.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR card expiring and out of country - advice please!

If you have filled out your application properly and meet all the requirements, we will mail your card to you. We will only mail PR cards to residential addresses in Canada.

In some cases, we may ask you to pick up your card at a local office. If so, bring your passport and the original documents you sent when you applied. If you do not pick up your card within 180 days, the card will be destroyed and you will have to re-apply.

We will contact you if there are problems with your application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...pply-after.asp
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Turtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can predict in advance whether they'll decide to mail it to you or ask you to pick it up. IIRC, I had to pick up my renewed card while my wife's was mailed (same address). I might be wrong though.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you - I did not realise they might ask you to pick them up, in which case that answers my question! They sure don't like making life easy for you, that's for sure. Oh well.

I appreciate the help.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Greenstriper View Post
Thank you - I did not realise they might ask you to pick them up, in which case that answers my question! They sure don't like making life easy for you, that's for sure. Oh well.

I appreciate the help.
1. Because too many people have not met there residency requirements yet were apply to renew their PR cards, when haven't/don't reside in Canada.

If the application received indicates both the residential and mailing address of a third party with an IMM 5476 form on file, a letter (Appendix A) will be addressed to the applicant and sent to the mailing address of the third party provided on the application. The letter will inform the applicant that CIC does not mail PR Cards to third party addresses, and that the PR Card will be mailed to the residential address once it has been provided by the client. As PR Cards are not mailed to P.O. boxes, clients who indicate a P.O. box instead of a mailing address will have to provide justification as to the reason they do not have an acceptable mailing address.

When applications indicate the address of a known or suspected third party and there is no IMM 5476 form on file, the file will be referred to a local CIC for further investigation concerning the undeclared representative.

The website, application form and guide have been updated to inform clients that PR Cards will only be mailed in Canada and will not be mailed to a third party’s address.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:48 am
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

I appreciate the help.
Still costly I am sure, but maybe return alone for a little holiday staying at a friends house and renew it while here that way? Then return back and move back as you planned to..

Other than that why not contact CIC directly and inform them of what your plans are as you did here, and they may have a better suggestion.

I went back to the UK for a visit and renewed my PR card on return to Canada last year, and it was sent to me in the post.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:34 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We have PR status (landed in October 2008) and lived continually in Canada from October 2008 until June 2012 when we returned to UK.

Our PR cards expire in mid November this year, which is a pain as we are seriously thinking about moving back to Canada within the next year or so.

Now, I realise that you have to be in Canada to renew your PR cards and that if you are not, you apply for a permanent residence travel permit. My problem is that the PRTP, once received, only gives you 30 days from that day to then travel back into Canada. As we would be selling our house and moving us, two young children and a cat back, I think this would be heaping huge amounts of stress upon us as we could not be sure that we would get the permit or book flights/complete on house etc until we knew for sure we would get the permit. Having said that, we would have fulfilled the 730 days residency requirement so I can't think that there should be a problem, but heh, this is bureaucracy and you just never know.

My question is, is it possible to use a correspondence address in Canada to renew your PR cards with? If so, I could use a friend's address, we get our cards renewed, she sends them onto me here and the time stress is all relieved.

Any help, much appreciated!!!

thanks, louise
PS any errors are my own.
Do you all have UK passports? If so, what is to stop you travelling to Canada on them and then renewing your PR cards when you arrive?

Provided you still have your COPR's you shouldn't have any problems with airlines (don't lose them as you will need them for Citizenship and pensions) refusing to take you on a one way ticket.

Old Aug 28th 2013, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Well, we do all have UK passports, and my husband and both children have their COPR stapled into their passports - although my daughter's passport has now run out.

However, whilst I have a staple in my passport, the COPR has been lost - would you believe it, heh? Also, the COPR forms have an expiry date of 2011 which I don't quite understand.

I could apply for a placement COPR and do it that way, or I was thinking of just booking return flights and landing as visitors (with a suspicious amount of luggage!!), just not using the return section of the flight, as I thought we might have trouble landing with just one-way tickets.

All very difficult, plus my 7 year old REALLY doesn't want to leave the UK and start a new school again!

Thanks for all the help
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:54 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

the COPR has been lost
Were you not told to essentially guard that piece of paper with your life when you were given it? I was.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

However, whilst I have a staple in my passport, the COPR has been lost - would you believe it, heh? Also, the COPR forms have an expiry date of 2011 which I don't quite understand.
The COPR expiry is the date you need to use it by to enter the country. You will still need to get a replacement COPR, as you will need it to apply for the pension later on in life (according to the person at Service Canada when we got our permanent SINs)