Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card application seemingly stuck in limbo

PR Card application seemingly stuck in limbo

Old Jan 21st 2021, 9:58 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Card application seemingly stuck in limbo

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I manually applied for my first PR card in September 2020 after soft landing in the middle of 2018. The application was delivered to Sydney, NS on the next working day and I received an AOR almost exactly 2 months later.

The standard application tracking page does not work for me and I think it's because my COPR lists my place of birth as the city I was born in rather than the country. The tracking form has a drop down list that only includes countries.

I managed to link my application with a GC Key account but it doesn't seem to have moved from "submitted" status since they first received it and has gone beyond the estimated processing time. When I check the details, it just says this:

Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.
Review of eligibilityHelp - Review of eligibility
  • We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

Review of medical resultsHelp - Review of medical results
  • You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.

Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents
  • We do not need additional documents.

InterviewHelp - Interview
  • You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

BiometricsHelp - Biometrics
  • We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.

Background checkHelp - Background check
  • Not applicable.

Final decisionHelp - Final decision
  • Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
I submitted a query through the web form last month and after a month they replied and said the details I provided didn't exactly match those on their system. I think it was because I missed out my middle name on the web form so I had to submit another.

I'm really not sure what else to do at this point. I was planning to return to Canada next month and I have a PRTD that should allow me to do that but I need the PR card to apply for a permanent SIN and the radio silence I've been getting on this has been worrying to say the least.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card application seemingly stuck in limbo

Perhaps the requirements for a permanent SIN have changed, but we only needed the stamped CoPR to get my wifes SIN a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 12:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Perhaps the requirements for a permanent SIN have changed, but we only needed the stamped CoPR to get my wifes SIN a couple of years ago.
Thanks but unfortunately the problem is that you can apparently only do that for the first 12 months and then after that you require a PR card to apply for one.

Permanent Residents of Canada need to provide 1 of the following documents:
  • Permanent Resident Card issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC)
  • confirmation of Permanent Residence issued by IRCC, accompanied by either a travel document (for example, a foreign passport) or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial/territorial authority (for example, a driver's licence). Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The Permanent resident card is required after this period
  • record of Landing issued by IRCC before June 28, 2002
  • verification of Landing issued by IRCC (only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain confirmation of an existing SIN), or
  • status Verification or Verification of Status issued by IRCC (only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain confirmation of an existing SIN)
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...e.html#primary

Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about it because I'd only need my PR card if I needed to leave and re-enter the country after my PRTD has expired.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 4:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be in Canada in order to apply for a PR card - and it can only be delivered to an address in Canada.. perhaps that's the reason why it says
We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Perhaps they have sent you a letter to the address you gave in Canada because they want new photos or want you to go into the office.
Is anyone checking the mail there?

The COPR will say 'place of birth as a town or city - try inputting England or which ever Country you were born in, not a generic UK etc.,

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 21st 2021 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 4:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You have to be in Canada in order to apply for a PR card.. perhaps that's the reason why it says
Perhaps they have sent you a letter to the address you gave in Canada because they want new photos or want you to go into the office.
Is anyone checking the mail there?
Thanks for the advice Siouxie. That address is being checked for any mail addressed to me but I can send them a message and double check. The AOR did say that any messages or requests for further info would go to my email though via GCKey messages though.

I was in Canada when I submitted the application and when it was received in Sydney. I wasn't in Canada when they sent the AOR but I don't think there's a legal requirement for that.

You need a valid permanent resident (PR) card to return to Canada by commercial vehicle. You can use other documents to return to Canada by private vehicle.

If you know your PR card will expire while you’re travelling outside Canada, you should apply for a new one before you leave. You can’t have a third party mail your PR card to you while you’re outside Canada. We don’t send PR cards to non-Canadian addresses.

If your new PR card isn’t ready before you leave, you can still travel but you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada by commercial vehicle. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1458&top=10

There's a field at the bottom of the form where you give them permission to check your border entry/exit records and those should prove I was in Canada when the application was submitted.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 21st 2021 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 4:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The COPR will say 'place of birth as a town or city - try inputting England or which ever Country you were born in, not a generic UK etc.,
I've tried every combo I can think of tbh. My COPR lists the place of birth as the city in which I was born and my country of birth (COB) as "England". Citizenship is listed as "UK - British Citizen".

The standard eCAS PR card application tracking tool lists place of birth and a list of countries. England is on the list but it doesn't detect my application when I choose that option.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/sec...p=ecas&lang=en

That was why I tried to work around it by pairing my application with a GCKey account. I couldn't think of any other way to track it.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 4:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks for the advice Siouxie. That address is being checked for any mail addressed to me but I can send them a message and double check. The AOR did say that any messages or requests for further info would go to my email though via GCKey messages though.

I was in Canada when I submitted the application and when it was received in Sydney. I wasn't in Canada when they sent the AOR but I don't think there's a legal requirement for that.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1458&top=10

There's a field at the bottom of the form where you give them permission to check your border entry/exit records and those should prove I was in Canada when the application was submitted.
Just a thought - but as you will be shown as exiting Canada (and you applied for a PRTD) they probably know you are NOT in Canada, so perhaps they are working on those that are and need their PR cards urgently.

I presume you put down the same address for your Residential Address and Mailing Address? Both will need to be in Canada.. mailing address can't be a 3rd party... did you provide them with a telephone number that is in Canada? - sorry for the questions, trying to think of potential reasons for the delay.. the part that says "we are reviewing ..." is the bit that might be delaying your application, I suspect.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dentifier.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 21st 2021 at 4:57 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 4:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Just a thought - but as you will be shown as exiting Canada (and you applied for a PRTD) they probably know you are NOT in Canada, so perhaps they are working on those that are and need their PR cards urgently.

I presume you put down the same address for your Residential Address and Mailing Address? Both will need to be in Canada.. mailing address can't be a 3rd party... did you provide them with a telephone number that is in Canada? - sorry for the questions, trying to think of potential reasons for the delay..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dentifier.html
No my PRTD is a 12 month multiple entry one that was issued shortly before the whole lock down thing started. That was how I returned to Canada to file the application and how I can still return now. I gave them the same Canadian address for both mailing and residential however I didn't provide a Canadian phone number because I didn't have one. I gave them my UK mobile number but included an LOE to explain the reason why. I don't think there's a requirement to provide a Canadian phone number when you file the application, only a Canadian address.

Please don't apologise, I appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone can offer. I even spoke with a settlement agency about this and they're equally perplexed by it. It's like they acknowledged my application 2 months ago and then have just sat on it ever since. The estimated time for a first PR card application is 120 days and mine has now surpassed that timeframe.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 5:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

the part that says "we are reviewing ..." is the bit that might be delaying your application, I suspect.
That was my assumption too but it has been in that exact same state for over 2 months. I would have thought the main issue with regards to PR card eligibility would normally be if there was a potential RO compliance issue but that's not the case as I haven't been outside Canada for anywhere near 1095 days. .

Old Jan 21st 2021, 8:08 pm
Banned

That was my assumption too but it has been in that exact same state for over 2 months. I would have thought the main issue with regards to PR card eligibility would normally be if there was a potential RO compliance issue but that's not the case as I haven't been outside Canada for anywhere near 1095 days. .
It may have more to do with you leaving Canada as soon as you applied for it - perhaps raising alarm bells... as they will only issue to a Canadian Address and you haven't yet returned! So if you aren't residing there presently, there's no rush for them to get it processed. Or perhaps they are just concentrating on those who are living IN Canada and need renewals or first issuance... and will contact you once you have returned to Canada using your PRTD - they will be able to check you have entered

Don't forget 'first PR card' refers to those who have given an address on entering Canada for issuance straight away - not those who have applied months or years after landing. Frustratiing, for sure - but not much longer til you arrive back and hopefully receive it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 21st 2021 at 8:17 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 8:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It may have more to do with you leaving Canada as soon as you applied for it - perhaps raising alarm bells... as they will only issue to a Canadian Address and you haven't yet returned! So if you aren't residing there presently, there's no rush for them to get it processed. Or perhaps they are just concentrating on those who are living IN Canada and need renewals or first issuance... and will contact you once you have returned to Canada using your PRTD - they will be able to check you have entered

Don't forget 'first PR card' refers to those who have given an address on entering Canada for issuance straight away - not those who have applied months or years after landing. Frustratiing, for sure - but not much longer til you arrive back and hopefully receive it.
It's certainly possible but I've also read online about people who provided the address of a relative or friend in their date of landing and left a couple of days later and received the card with no problem.

Tbh the only reason I applied for a PR card this way because of the SIN issue and the long processing ETA's last year. I think they were estimating around 9-10 months last summer.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 9:01 pm
Banned

It's certainly possible but I've also read online about people who provided the address of a relative or friend in their date of landing and left a couple of days later and received the card with no problem.

Tbh the only reason I applied for a PR card this way because of the SIN issue and the long processing ETA's last year. I think they were estimating around 9-10 months last summer.
Therein lies the difference though - they gave an address on landing - they didn't soft land and then apply 2 years after doing the soft landing and then leave again

As a Permanent Resident you wouldn't be able to apply for or receive an eTA., only being able to travel with either a PR card or a PRTD.
Travellers who cannot apply for an eTA and need to carry other identification:

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 21st 2021 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 9:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Therein lies the difference though - they gave an address on landing - they didn't soft land and then apply 2 years after doing the soft landing and then leave again

As a Permanent Resident you wouldn't be able to apply for or receive an eTA., only being able to travel with either a PR card or a PRTD.
Sorry I didn't mean eTA as in the Canada visa waiver sense, I meant ETA as in estimated time of arrival.

It's just a shame that all I/we can do is speculate on this though because I've received no communications from them whatsoever.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 1:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

So I finally received a meaningful response from them after submitting a second web form. It turns out the suspicion Siouxie and I had is correct. My application has been accepted however they have chosen me for a "random" spot check so I would need to collect the card. Apparently they're running on reduced resource atm so I just need to wait for them to contact me and book an appointment.

Still it's nice to know my application hasn't fallen down the back of someone's desk drawer but what I don't understand is why they couldn't have sent me a courtesy message about this instead of treating my application with total radio silence until I contacted them.

Their email also said this:

As your card has been selected for pick-up, rest assured that you will be informed of the date, time, location for pick-up, and of the type of documents you will be asked to bring with you in due time.
Has anybody been through this process before and do they recall what documents they were asked to provide?
Old Jan 28th 2021, 4:51 pm
Banned

So I finally received a meaningful response from them after submitting a second web form. It turns out the suspicion Siouxie and I had is correct. My application has been accepted however they have chosen me for a "random" spot check so I would need to collect the card. Apparently they're running on reduced resource atm so I just need to wait for them to contact me and book an appointment.

Still it's nice to know my application hasn't fallen down the back of someone's desk drawer but what I don't understand is why they couldn't have sent me a courtesy message about this instead of treating my application with total radio silence until I contacted them.

Their email also said this:
Has anybody been through this process before and do they recall what documents they were asked to provide?
Good to hear that you got a response finally, though a little frustrating for you, I'm sure! I expect they want to make sure you aren't gettting the PR card forwarded to you in another country, hence the requirement to collect

I found this...
https://settlement.org/ontario/immig...-a-cic-office/
6. Some clients are invited to collect their PR card at a local office. In this case, they should remember to bring the required documents (from the last 5 years) specified in the PR invitation letter from the Department. Required documents include: passports, health cards, driver's licenses, Revenue Canada Notice of Assessments and T4 slips, etc.If clients are unable to make the appointment to collect their PR card, they should visit the IRCC office specified in their invitation letter within 180 days from the day the invitation letter is dated. The pickup date cannot be extended.
The required documents probably are those you used for your application - and the same ones you included for your PRTD. I'm sure you have everything needed.
Phew!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.