PR Card

Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:49 pm
No longer waiting :-)

iamafish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR Card

As has been said here ad nauseum, getting in the country is not the potential sticking point. If there is going to be a problem it will be getting on the flight that will be the issue. Its still a moderately large "if" though for British passport holders.
True - my worry was more what was going to happen at this end. As far as getting on the plane goes, even if one does not have a PR card to present at the check-in desk, you would still have the travel/entry status afforded to any UK passport holder travelling to Canada.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamafish
True - my worry was more what was going to happen at this end. As far as getting on the plane goes, even if one does not have a PR card to present at the check-in desk, you would still have the travel/entry status afforded to any UK passport holder travelling to Canada.
Legally thats not true because the visa waiver rights and privileges apply only to visitors, so as a PR you have no legal right to travel under the visa waiver scheme.

If a jobsworth airline employee wants to make life miserable for a returning PR without the card then technically they can because the visa waiver program does not apply to a PR, and an airline employee does not have the training or facilities to establish that a paper form is not a forgery, or that a travellers PR requirements have been met, hence the (faint) possibilitiy of them insisting on seing a PR card.

Thats my dodgy understanding of the technicalities anyway... Having said that Im not aware of anyone actually refused boarding, not a UK passport holder anyway.

By the way "not valid for travel" does not mean exactly what it says... one of the immigration bods explained it once but I forget the details...

Last edited by iaink; Jul 4th 2011 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:25 pm

Aaargh. So, to be completely compliant, we are going to have to stump up 200 bucks (plus photos), and take a trip to CH. Personally, I'd be happy to wing it, but 'im indoors is paranoia incarnate....
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Aaargh. So, to be completely compliant, we are going to have to stump up 200 bucks (plus photos), and take a trip to CH. Personally, I'd be happy to wing it, but 'im indoors is paranoia incarnate....
Then dont tell her!

The chances of it being an issue are very very tiny. As I said, I dont ever recall any UK PP holder posting here that they were denied boarding for not having the PR card. The travel doc really only applies to those from non visa waiver countries, I dont know why the CIC site doesnt just say that. The folks on the 888 line just run out the standard "one size fits all" line, its easier to train them that way I guess.

Lets face it, if they are denying you boarding on the grounds that the visa waiver doesnt extent to PRs, then they have acknowledged that you are a PR... Even if you didnt meet the PR residency requirements, they still legally have to let you in before they can process kicking you out, so the airline is not on the hook for taking you back from whence you came, and that is really all they are interested in...

Last edited by iaink; Jul 4th 2011 at 6:37 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Legally thats not true because the visa waiver rights and privileges apply only to visitors, so as a PR you have no legal right to travel under the visa waiver scheme.
There is no "visa waiver scheme" in Canada.

All there is is a set of documents which are acceptable to travel to Canada with. Some foreign passports are acceptable on their own, others require a visa. A PR Card is another acceptable document, no more than that.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:53 am
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
We landed April 20th. I called the call centre today and got told they posted then out on June 16th, he said they are probabley caught up in the post back log - who knows.
Hi Miss Clinique

We landed on the 14th of April but returned to the UK 2 weeks. I've tried calling the call centre so many times but have never gotten through to the number. I've also tried tracking online to no avail.

Please if you don't mind me asking, are you currently in Canada? If not, which number did you get the call centre on?
Many thanks

T4T
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

We landed on April 23rd 2011 and also don't have our PR cards yet, I do however have:

1. Landing documentation (can't remember the form number)
2. Alberta Drivers License
3. SIN card

Surely this will be enough to prove PR status?

Also what number do I need to call to check the status of my PR cards (I have a funny feeling that 3 of the photo's will be rejected!)

Thanks,

Stuart.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:34 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by T4T
Hi Miss Clinique

We landed on the 14th of April but returned to the UK 2 weeks. I've tried calling the call centre so many times but have never gotten through to the number. I've also tried tracking online to no avail.

Please if you don't mind me asking, are you currently in Canada? If not, which number did you get the call centre on?
Many thanks

T4T
Yes I am already in Canada. It took me 20 minutes to get through at 8.30am yesterday morning, and I have to say got the grumpiest person in the world (obviously not a morning person) I have to say I didnt have much faith in what he told me. I cant remember the date that Canada post locked the post men out, I thought it was before the 16th June in which case they were not accepting post, so, who knows. Time will tell, if they are not here by next Monday I will call again.

I didnt know you could track them on line.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:54 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Yes I am already in Canada. It took me 20 minutes to get through at 8.30am yesterday morning, and I have to say got the grumpiest person in the world (obviously not a morning person) I have to say I didnt have much faith in what he told me. I cant remember the date that Canada post locked the post men out, I thought it was before the 16th June in which case they were not accepting post, so, who knows. Time will tell, if they are not here by next Monday I will call again.

I didnt know you could track them on line.
Yes they say you can track them on line, however I've not being able to. I've put all the numbers on the form that was stapled in our passports when we landed but to no avail.
Guess we'll just have to wait patiently for our cards to arrive at our friend's address
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stokesey
We landed on April 23rd 2011 and also don't have our PR cards yet, I do however have:

3. SIN card

Also what number do I need to call to check the status of my PR cards (I have a funny feeling that 3 of the photo's will be rejected!)

Thanks,

Stuart.
How did you manage to get a Drivers License?
In BC can apply for your licence whilst waiting for your PR card but they only give you a temporary paper one until you present your PR card in person.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by T4T
Yes they say you can track them on line, however I've not being able to. I've put all the numbers on the form that was stapled in our passports when we landed but to no avail.
Guess we'll just have to wait patiently for our cards to arrive at our friend's address
Do you have the link or web address for where the PR cards can be tracked? Or is it the same ECAS site used when updating the status' of applications?
Thank you.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:42 pm

We got ours before we got our PR status (we're in NS). We just went in, handed over the cash, did the written test and then the driving test after that. We were never asked about our residential status.

We actually had to do ours in a bit of a panic as we found that we were only allowed to drive for 3 months on our UK licences, not 6 as we had believed. It does seem a little odd that you can come to NS for up to 6 months as a visitor, but you can only drive on your UK licence for 3 of those.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:59 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey

3. SIN card

Thanks,

Stuart.
Drivers Licence wont prove you are PR as anyone can obtain those. Your SIN will prove PR and landing docs..SIN for non permanent residents start with a '9'.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:26 pm

Another department has rung me and said no, they will not let you in without the travel document from the Embassy, and that the visa in your passport is not enough to grant entry. When I mentioned that we are Commonwealth citizens, and that their website implies that the visa is sufficient, I was told to ring the Helpdesk....
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Another department has rung me and said no, they will not let you in without the travel document from the Embassy, and that the visa in your passport is not enough to grant entry. When I mentioned that we are Commonwealth citizens, and that their website implies that the visa is sufficient, I was told to ring the Helpdesk....
Im not sure what the problem is here?..They cant stop you from entering without a PR card, even with just a passport you can still enter Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.