Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR for canada from US + Student Visa

PR for canada from US + Student Visa

Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

SmiRao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR for canada from US + Student Visa

Hi,

My husband and I and working in the US for more than a year with valid H1B visas. We are looking at applying for a Canadian PR. We have the following questions:
a. How long would the PR process take if we apply from the US.
b. We have been admitted to a reputed MBA school in Canada, and we would be joining in September this year. That means we would no longer hold any valid H1 visa, from September onwards. Would the the PR processing still go on?
c. Should we apply for the PR on our own or is it advisable to go through a lawyer. If it is advisable to go through a lawyer, is there a list anywhere of legal firms I can approach, in the US or in Canada?

Thanks,
SR
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:38 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR for canada from US + Student Visa

Check out the CIC's website and note carefully the options available. You will need student authorizations for Canada and your application could be submitted to Buffalo but it may be premature at this time.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Check out the CIC's website and note carefully the options available. You will need student authorizations for Canada and your application could be submitted to Buffalo but it may be premature at this time.
Thank you Jim.
We are planning to apply for student visas separately. As per the MBA school, our fees would be discounted if we have a canadian PR.
And so, we are looking at applying for a PR from the US now, so we could atleast have our second year MBA fees discounted.
Considering this:
a. Do you think we would be able to get our PRs by September 2012, if we apply now?
b. We would be resigning from our current jobs in the US in July. Would the PR processing still continue with the changed visa status?

I did read through CIC's website, but was unable to find answers specific to my case.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
SR
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:16 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by SmiRao
Thank you Jim.
We are planning to apply for student visas separately. As per the MBA school, our fees would be discounted if we have a canadian PR.
And so, we are looking at applying for a PR from the US now, so we could atleast have our second year MBA fees discounted.
Considering this:
a. Do you think we would be able to get our PRs by September 2012, if we apply now?
b. We would be resigning from our current jobs in the US in July. Would the PR processing still continue with the changed visa status?

I did read through CIC's website, but was unable to find answers specific to my case.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
SR
The first question that you have to answer is do you qualify for Immigration? Have either of at least 1 years experience in an occupation in the list of "29" in the past 10 years. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

If you don't have the experience in the list, without an Approved Employment Option from a Canadian employer or have graduated from a Canadian school and worked in a skilled occupation in Canada, then you don't qualify.

If you are qualified, and applied now, it is unlikely that you would have PR by Sept/12. As your complete application would have to be sent to CIO Sydney and if approved, sent to Buffalo. The processing time would probably be a year at Buffalo.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The first question that you have to answer is do you qualify for Immigration? Have either of at least 1 years experience in an occupation in the list of "29" in the past 10 years. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

If you don't have the experience in the list, without an Approved Employment Option from a Canadian employer or have graduated from a Canadian school and worked in a skilled occupation in Canada, then you don't qualify.

If you are qualified, and applied now, it is unlikely that you would have PR by Sept/12. As your complete application would have to be sent to CIO Sydney and if approved, sent to Buffalo. The processing time would probably be a year at Buffalo.
Thank you PMM.
Yes, we do qualify under the list of 29. We are software engineers with over 6 years of work-ex in India/US and I assume we come under the "1122 Professional occupations in business services and management" category. But I see that the cap is reached. Does it mean that we cannot apply this year?

Do you think there is anyother way we can apply for a PR? Is is possible for a distant relative to sponsor our PR? I see family sponsorship only for immediate relatives i.e., kids, spouse etc. in the FAQs.

Thank you,
SR
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Thank you PMM.
Yes, we do qualify under the list of 29: 1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management. We are software engineers with over 6 years of work-ex in US/India(More than a year in the US)
But I see that the cap has been reached. Does it mean that we cannot apply for a PR this year?

Is it possible for a distant relative to sponsor a PR? The FAQ mentions sponsorships for immediate relation like spouse and kid.

Would you be able to let us know if there is any other category in which we could apply for the PR this year?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
SR
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:10 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you PMM.
Yes, we do qualify under the list of 29: 1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management. We are software engineers with over 6 years of work-ex in US/India(More than a year in the US)
But I see that the cap has been reached. Does it mean that we cannot apply for a PR this year?

Is it possible for a distant relative to sponsor a PR? The FAQ mentions sponsorships for immediate relation like spouse and kid.

Would you be able to let us know if there is any other category in which we could apply for the PR this year?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
SR
1. It is unlikely that 1122 will be on the list in July, but I have been wrong before. Software engineers don't fall into that category. They fall into 2173 which was not on the list of 29 nor on the previous list.

2. No distant relatives cannot sponsor.

3. If you graduate from your MA program, you will get a Post Grad work permit for 3 years. (if it is a 2 year program) After 1 year of skilled work in NOC A, B or O in Canada, you can apply for Immigration under the Canada Experience Class.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we do qualify under the list of 29: 1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management. We are software engineers with over 6 years of work-ex in US/India
As PMM said, you don't qualify under that NOC code if you are software engineers - it's for management consultants etc. Here is the NOC code description, which as you can see you wouldn't be eligible under..............http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=1122

Sounds like you'll need a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify for PR if you want to get PR before studying.

Good luck.