PR applying for citizenship

Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

chinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR applying for citizenship

Hi there,
Don't think i've been on here since i got PR!!
It was all down to the help and advice we got on here that we managed it in the end so thanks again everyone!!

We have had PR status for a year now, and am thinking of sticking out the next year so that i can apply for citzenship... (can apply after 2 years)
Does anyone know :
1. how long the citizen application normally takes?
2. how much it costs?
3. Will i be required to stay here in Canada during the whole process?
4. Will I, as i have been lead to believe definitely have dual-citizenship with UK?

Thanks for your time..
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR applying for citizenship

Originally Posted by chinn
We have had PR status for a year now, and am thinking of sticking out the next year so that i can apply for citzenship... (can apply after 2 years)
Nope. It's 3 years (or 1072 days to be precise) and it's not just having PR for that time, it's actually being physically present in Canada so in other words any time spent outside Canada i.e. holidays/trips back to the UK/shopping in the US, doesn't count. And it must be 3 years out of the previous 4.

But once you are finally eligible, then the process is currently taking around a year, and yes, you would be dual nationality.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 25th 2011 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope. It's 3 years (or 1072 days to be precise) and it's not just having PR for that time, it's actually being physically present in Canada so in other words any time spent outside Canada i.e. holidays/trips back to the UK/shopping in the US, doesn't count.

But once you are finally eligible, then the process is currently taking around a year, and yes, you would be dual nationality.

Has that changed in the last year then? We were told when we got PR that it had just been brought down to 2 years...??! that was January 2010?
Yeah thanks, i realize its time spent in Canada...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Has that changed in the last year then? We were told when we got PR that it had just been brought down to 2 years...??! that was January 2010?
oh and thanks for the QUICK reply!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not changed at all, would appear you were misinformed. Here you go........http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ility.asp#time

Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:36 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

possibly some confusion over maintaining PR , which is two years out of every 5.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
possibly some confusion over maintaining PR , which is two years out of every 5.
Oh wow! Yeah, i think we were misinformed!
I'm sure we were told we have to be here 2 out 5 as PR agreement and that after those 2 years we are then eligible to apply for Citizenship. Arghhh

However they say....
"You may be able to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident if that time falls within the four-year period"

I'm totally confused now!!

I have been here since October 2007 (on and off) PR since Jan 2010.
Just to confirm that means any 1095 days.. not necessarily in one chunk...?? (as long as its within the previous 4)

Basically i was asking in the first place because I am considering leaving Canada for a while to travel etc.. but had planned to come back maybe in a year or so to retain the PR and then apply for citizenship....
Partner thinks as we are so close to being able to apply we should stick it out and get it done this time next year (or longer as it now seems).
I assumed it would look better to be here for a chunk and then apply instead of going away and coming back, but does it really make a difference to the application?

I guess it appears it needs to fall in 4 years not 5?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh wow! Yeah, i think we were misinformed!
I'm sure we were told we have to be here 2 out 5 as PR agreement and that after those 2 years we are then eligible to apply for Citizenship. Arghhh

However they say....
"You may be able to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident if that time falls within the four-year period"

I'm totally confused now!!

I have been here since October 2007 (on and off) PR since Jan 2010.
Just to confirm that means any 1095 days.. not necessarily in one chunk...?? (as long as its within the previous 4)

Basically i was asking in the first place because I am considering leaving Canada for a while to travel etc.. but had planned to come back maybe in a year or so to retain the PR and then apply for citizenship....
Partner thinks as we are so close to being able to apply we should stick it out and get it done this time next year (or longer as it now seems).
I assumed it would look better to be here for a chunk and then apply instead of going away and coming back, but does it really make a difference to the application?

I guess it appears it needs to fall in 4 years not 5?
You can include time before becoming a PR, half a day for each day you spent on a TWP etc, it that makes sense?! So in other words, if you spent 6 months on a TWP, you could count that as 3 months for citizenship.

But it must be in the four years preceding the application, and I think it's only up to a maximum of a year that you could count half days.

HTH.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

You can include time before becoming a PR, half a day for each day you spent on a TWP etc, it that makes sense?! So in other words, if you spent 6 months on a TWP, you could count that as 3 months for citizenship.

But it must be in the four years preceding the application, and I think it's only up to a maximum of a year that you could count half days.

HTH.
OK great.. yep just found that on that link...

Good to know!! looks like we should stay put for now..

Any ideas about leaving the country whilst the application is being processed?
thanks so much
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Any ideas about leaving the country whilst the application is being processed?
thanks so much
I believe that you can do, but you'd need to be prepared to fly back for both the test and oath ceremony - and you will only get a couple of weeks notice for each. Basically, you'd need to have somebody you trust opening your post every day, and have lots of money for last minute flights back to Canada.

Have a search as I know leaving whilst the application is being processed has been discussed in the past.

Good luck.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

I believe that you can do, but you'd need to be prepared to fly back for both the test and oath ceremony - and you will only get a couple of weeks notice for each. Basically, you'd need to have somebody you trust opening your post every day, and have lots of money for last minute flights back to Canada.

Have a search as I know leaving whilst the application is being processed has been discussed in the past.

Good luck.
ok will do thanks alot
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck.
Last querie...

They say:

What is the residence requirement?
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application. Please note that you cannot meet the residence requirements for citizenship without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.

As i said in one year's time i will have been a PR for 2 years. Do you think that if, i have the 1095 days at that point (taking into the count previous time as twp's) I'll be good to apply?... The last bit 'minimum 2 years as a PR.. i will have been 2 years as a PR but not as in days spent in Canada...
Would that matter if i still have the 1095 / 3 years spent here??

If that makes sense!!?
thanks
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As i said in one year's time i will have been a PR for 2 years. Do you think that if, i have the 1095 days at that point (taking into the count previous time as twp's) I'll be good to apply
As mentioned above, you can only count time spent on a TWP to a maximum of one year of the requirement - so must have two years as a PR in Canada as well.

But if you've got two years on a TWP (remember it counts as half time, so 2 years on a TWP would be 1 year for citizenship purposes), and two years as a PR, all in Canada, then you should be eligible to apply.

I think there's a citizenship calculator on the CIC website, so maybe take that and see what it says?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:30 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

on the back of this..i landed in 2008 and have had my pr card renewed and it is now valid until dec 2015..could i then go home for 3 years and come back in dec 2013 and renew my card again in 2015?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

As mentioned above, you can only count time spent on a TWP to a maximum of one year of the requirement - so must have two years as a PR in Canada as well.

But if you've got two years on a TWP (remember it counts as half time, so 2 years on a TWP would be 1 year for citizenship purposes), and two years as a PR, all in Canada, then you should be eligible to apply.

I think there's a citizenship calculator on the CIC website, so maybe take that and see what it says?

ok so should be good to go in over a year.. will be 2 years as PR (in canada) and will add on half days from 2 year TWP.
The calculator says this time next year.. (once i've had PR for 2 i guess, but doesn't take into account time away from Canada).

Ok great, thanks alot.