PR application from within Canada

Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

bouncycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR application from within Canada

Hi all,
I have been in Canada for 2.5 years on a Work Permit and i have 1.5 years left on current work permit. I am now applying for PR with an offer of permanent employment in the job I am in. I understand that i have to apply to Buffalo as i am already here in Canada - which means no simplified process for me! I have 3 questions:

1) I have everything ready except the police certificates. The bobby in the UK police station suggested sending everything else off with a letter that the police certificates would be sent when received. Do you think this is a good idea, or should i wait and send it all in one package? I was told by the policeman the UK letter will take 40 days plus the time to actually get to me in Canada so basically 50 days+ knowing the Canadian mail system!

2) I lived and worked in US for 5.5 months (all legal!) . They say anywhere 6 months of over, do you think it is worth getting a US certificate anyway?

3) Has anyone been through this process, what was the time frame?

Thanks for any help, and great forum!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:57 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR application from within Canada

If you are working here on valid work permit and employer is willing to keep you after you become a PR then you can submit full application package to London as well.

1) Wait for certificate

2) Why not

3) Buffalo 15 to 40 months, London 12 to 49+ months - with arranged employment London may be able to get all done in under 12 months, providing that application package is perfect and conclusive. Buffalo doesn't care about arranged employment and tends to process cases of applicants already working in Canada actually slower.

Originally Posted by bouncycat
Hi all,
I have been in Canada for 2.5 years on a Work Permit and i have 1.5 years left on current work permit. I am now applying for PR with an offer of permanent employment in the job I am in. I understand that i have to apply to Buffalo as i am already here in Canada - which means no simplified process for me! I have 3 questions:

1) I have everything ready except the police certificates. The bobby in the UK police station suggested sending everything else off with a letter that the police certificates would be sent when received. Do you think this is a good idea, or should i wait and send it all in one package? I was told by the policeman the UK letter will take 40 days plus the time to actually get to me in Canada so basically 50 days+ knowing the Canadian mail system!

2) I lived and worked in US for 5.5 months (all legal!) . They say anywhere 6 months of over, do you think it is worth getting a US certificate anyway?

3) Has anyone been through this process, what was the time frame?

Thanks for any help, and great forum!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for such a fast response. I did not realize i had the option of applying to London office, I was told it all went to Buffalo by CIC when i asked for my forms.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:23 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You asked CIC for PR application forms??? Why not download them directly from CIC website?

If this is the case then I don't want to scare you but your chances to prepare a solid and conclusive case through DIY route may not be as good as you hope.

Thankyou for such a fast response. I did not realize i had the option of applying to London office, I was told it all went to Buffalo by CIC when i asked for my forms.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I know you can download everything. I also like to have paper copies of everything and i have found if you ask you get everything in 1 nice package all together saving lots of printing and messing and also makes absolutely sure you have all the right forms. I like to cover all the bases.

I hopefully will be okay DIY, I got my work permit in 3 weeks so I am able to fill forms in okay. I also got an extension no problem. I hope my case is pretty good, I have a PhD and have a highly technical job, HRSDC approved etc that I have worked in 2.5 years in Canada.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

Yes, I know you can download everything. I also like to have paper copies of everything and i have found if you ask you get everything in 1 nice package all together saving lots of printing and messing and also makes absolutely sure you have all the right forms. I like to cover all the bases.

I hopefully will be okay DIY, I got my work permit in 3 weeks so I am able to fill forms in okay. I also got an extension no problem. I hope my case is pretty good, I have a PhD and have a highly technical job, HRSDC approved etc that I have worked in 2.5 years in Canada.
Although nothing with CIC seems consistant here is our timeline that may give you hope
- Jan 2005 - family arrived on Work Permits after intra company transfer
- Feb 2006 - applied for PR through London with letter from my employer committing to ongoing job after PR
- November 2006 - request for updated letter from employer and wage slips
- December 2006 - Medical requests
- January 2007 - Medicals done....and we wait again but hopefully not too long!

Good Luck!

Gordon
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou, skigordi.

Do you know what happens if your work permit runs out in the process, is it as simple as applying for an extension (which i have done before and was pretty painless)?

Good luck on your wait.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

Thankyou, skigordi.

Do you know what happens if your work permit runs out in the process, is it as simple as applying for an extension (which i have done before and was pretty painless)?

Good luck on your wait.
My WP runs out in October and I hope this will be all done before that. If not I think it is just a case of renewing before it runs out and I understand that a PR application would help the case for that renewal as well.