PR Application Help

Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Southerner08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Application Help

Hello everyone.

So here's my story, i'm a British Citizen in Canada on the IEC visa who has been in a relationship with a Canadian citizen for 3 years, we have been living together for 1 year in Ontario, Canada and are now eligible to apply for PR. we are filing out the application forms and a few questions have stumped us. It is only her and I on the application, no children or family.

I have read the wiki article on PR and i'm still unclear, so I thought id ask here.

First question, the checklist is requesting an original police check, is that the same police check I obtained for the IEC visa or will I have to re-apply? I mean they granted me a visa and I've been here since so they must know I don't have any record.

Second IMM5285, the question below we didn't do anything for this, were we supposed to?

Q7 A and B - Were there formal ceremonies to recognize/celebrate your relationship, e.g engagement ceremony , traditional/customary marriage ceremony, commitment ceremony partnership ceremony, reception etc

IMM1344

Q3 – Is there a co-signer on this application? It's just myself and my partner so I assume this is a no?

IMM5481

Q5a – The application is just partner and I, is 5A the correct box to fill, just two people on the application

We have entered two, her and I in boxes 4 and 5a, I assume this is correct?

Also this will be an inland application as I live here in Canada, I have been told I need to also apply for a work permit at the same time, where can I find this application for the permit?

If I have been too vague or missed anything out I do apologize, I may have just missed this information in the wiki article as there is a lot to read, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Application Help

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Southerner08
I have read the wiki article on PR and i'm still unclear, so I thought id ask here.
It doesn't sound like you got as far as finding the amazing FAQ for spousal sponsorship apps - Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki

That will certainly answer at least one of your questions. I'm not sure the ceremony question is covered, but no, you didn't need to do anything so can just put 'N/A' here.

First question, the checklist is requesting an original police check, is that the same police check I obtained for the IEC visa or will I have to re-apply? I mean they granted me a visa and I've been here since so they must know I don't have any record.
It will depend. How to get a police certificate (police check)

"For countries where you have lived for six months or more, but no longer live in, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

So if you haven't lived in the UK after your last police cert was issued, there's no need for a new one and you can reuse it. But if you did, then yes, you'll need a new one.

And for the work permit application, follow the link in this article - Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada Although how much longer have you got on your IEC? I'm just wondering if an outland application would be better, if you've got time to get PR before your IEC expires? It would just be so much quicker than an inland app.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:18 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Re the ceremony, just write "N/A" or a short one-liner. I think that question more has to do with couples from cultures that have "milestones" in a relationship. In the case of couples who are engaged but not yet married, they sometimes put something like "We didn't have a formal ceremony, but we did go out for drinks with friends to celebrate our engagement" or something like that. If you haven't had anything like that, then just write "N/A".

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And for the work permit application, follow the link in this article - Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada Although how much longer have you got on your IEC? I'm just wondering if an outland application would be better, if you've got time to get PR before your IEC expires? It would just be so much quicker than an inland app.

HTH, good luck.
Just adding to this, if you have a year or more left on your IEC then I would agree with Oompa and would suggest applying outland instead. You can do that even if you are living in Canada, that's fine. The wiki article outlines this clearly. If your application goes to Ottawa you'll have your PR in about 4 or so months; if it goes to London you'll have it in about 11 or so. There's a spreadsheet linked in my signature that outlines processing times.

However, if you have less than a year, then yeah, go inland and get the work permit.

Note, though, the current work permit program "expires" on Dec 22nd of this year. It's widely expected that the program will be renewed again for another year, but just in case it isn't, get your application filed BEFORE the 22nd so that you can apply for your work permit. If you don't think you can apply before the 22nd and CIC has not announced an extension of the program then apply outland. (Watch the main Immigration board here as it will get posted here if/when the announcement is made either extending or cancelling the program.)
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the quick responses, upon closer inspection I have found additional links that answered my questions. Really a fantastic resource.

I have 1 year left on my working holiday visa, the issue is that I have a pretty good job here and if for some reason the application takes longer than 12 months for whatever reason I may be in a bit of a situation. I'm able to apply within the next week as my status of common law will be recognized as we have lived with each other for 1 year.

If we did decide to take the Outland Route is the application any different? I haven't actually looked into it yet.

Thanks again for your responses.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 5:49 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the quick responses, upon closer inspection I have found additional links that answered my questions. Really a fantastic resource.

I have 1 year left on my working holiday visa, the issue is that I have a pretty good job here and if for some reason the application takes longer than 12 months for whatever reason I may be in a bit of a situation. I'm able to apply within the next week as my status of common law will be recognized as we have lived with each other for 1 year.

If we did decide to take the Outland Route is the application any different? I haven't actually looked into it yet.

Thanks again for your responses.
There are some minor application differences, a few of the forms have a few variances and I think 1-2 forms are specific to inland vs outland applications. The applications are about 90% the same, anyway, and all the 'extras' that you have to provide like police certificates and proof of relationship and all that is the same.

I can see your worry about the 12 month thing. I'd say there's a 90% chance you will be processed with a year, but if you really don't want to risk it (and I wouldn't blame you) then doing inland with the work permit may be the safer option.

Definitely apply as soon as you are eligible, though, in case the work permit program isn't extended. (You will also want to watch for the announcement, even after you apply, because you'll want to make sure that if they choose not to extend the program that you will still get your work permit since you applied before the program closed. If they say you won't get your permit then for sure the route will be to withdraw your application and reapply as outland. But don't worry about any of that until you actually see the announcement from CIC one way or the other.)
Old Dec 4th 2016, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Hello, it's me again.

So we've decided to go Inland, I'm in no rush for residency, I have a health card and a Job so I just want to maintain it until they make a decision on me. Seems the safest way.

I'm working my way through the work permit applications and I've hit a wall. I've completed 5710, I didn't use a representative so N/A for 5476 I assume 5475 is optional (Please advise if not) but the tricky one is 5409 Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union. I've read conflicting information, please help!

It's also asking for health insurance, I have health insurance until the end of my IEC which is one year, I also have an OHIP card until December 2017, do I really need to purchase extra insurance?

Thanks

Last edited by Southerner08; Dec 4th 2016 at 10:32 am.