PR address (again)

Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR address (again)

Hi folks.
At the risk of being shot down in flames, sniped at and dismissed as laughable may I ask a question for clarification?

I lived in Ontario for 12 years so I am not a complete Canada novice, but I am confused by the varying rules and advice on offer. And yes, I have searched the forum (exhaustively) and am now even more confused.

Facts: We live in the UK. I sponsored my CL spouse and we have received the COPR, we have to land by August 2017. We have a house to sell here in UK (not ready for market yet). We own a piece of land (no buildings) in BC, it has an address but no way to receive mail (it is in a rural location and we have not yet discovered what we need to do to actually get physical mail...we think there is a bank of mail boxes nearby, but presumably we have to rent one of those).

We have flights booked for early Feb to land at Toronto airport, activate the PR and return to UK the next day.

My question is what actually constitutes a 'PO Box'. We have no family or close friends in Canada, but we have contacted the solicitors who handled the conveyancing on our property and they have agreed to receive the PR card and forward it to us in the UK.
Their address is 'PO Box 123, 456 Main Street, Town, BC'. They have said:

'We do not receive "mail" to our street address. If it is sent by Xpress Post or Priority Post it can be sent to the street address as those are considered like couriers. Couriers (like Purolator, Loomis, FedEx) need to use the street address for delivery.'

In response to my question 'If an ordinary letter only has your street address on it (and not the PO Box number) what happens to it?' They replied:

'Sometimes the post office puts it in our mail box sometimes they don't.'

WTF. Could a kind person explain how Canada Post works in this situation? I know I received mail while I lived in Ontario in the normal way (to my door). And how does this impact on our need to have the PR sent to a Canadian address?

Apologies if this presses the derision button in some folk, but we really do need to know as time is getting short.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR address (again)

I have several observations.

You own land but no residential address. I don't believe Canada Post likes delivering mail to an empty field or vacant lot.
The type of residence you live in will determine how mail is delivered.

Community mailbox ; These are the ones usually at the end of the street that everyone on the same street shares as many urban centres have no actual for to door delivery. You get a key for the box. There is no charge. All mail addressed to your physical street address goes into an assigned box.

PO Boxes can be rented at a variety of places be it a local post office outlet.
All mail must be addressed to that specific PO Box number.
Rural mail delivery is contracted out. Many have a box at the end of the driveway/entrance to the property and they leave it in it.
Larger items are normally picked up at the nearest postal outlet and they will leave a card in your mailbox telling you where it is.

This is from the CIC website regarding PR cards

Note: If you provide your mailing address, all correspondence will be sent there. However, PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses. If you provide a third party address, your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. If you do not provide your residential address, processing will be delayed until you provide it.
Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change sex designation (IMM 5445)

Make of that what you will.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you FL, really appreciate your informed (and helpful) reply. What you are basically saying is that CIC will not mail the PR if they think the address supplied is a third party. This flies in the face of all the advice on the forum that says it could be mailed to 'a relative or friend' (We are VERY friendly with the solicitors who did our conveyancing, they are like brothers and sisters to us now).

Surely if allowance is made for people not establishing a residence when they first land, then it must be assumed they can only provide a temporary address until such time as they do?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goneforgood
Thank you FL, really appreciate your informed (and helpful) reply. What you are basically saying is that CIC will not mail the PR if they think the address supplied is a third party. This flies in the face of all the advice on the forum that says it could be mailed to 'a relative or friend' (We are VERY friendly with the solicitors who did our conveyancing, they are like brothers and sisters to us now).

Surely if allowance is made for people not establishing a residence when they first land, then it must be assumed they can only provide a temporary address until such time as they do?
What is said and what is actually done are 2 different things. If becoming a PR and will be establishing a residence then you will have normally provided CIC (IRCC) with your home address. Now we have thousands who have no idea where they will be living as they won't be establishing an address on landing as they are returning back to finish things up so no address is provided to IRCC.

Once in possession of the COPR you are now ready to land. The vast majority of landings are done at a Port Of Entry. These landings are done by CBSA officers.
To get a PR card issued CBSA officers know you must provide a Canadian address for it to be mailed to. If no address is given to CBSA on landing you then have 180 days to inform IRCC of the address for the PR card to be sent to. If no address is provided then no PR card is sent.

CBSA officers don't really care about is the address given actually your mailing address. Thats where the PR card will be sent to and if you don't get it they don't really care as thats the address you provided.
Yes many have it sent to friends addresses or other 3rd parties. This is an IRCC rule and again what is said and what happens in real life are somewhat different.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again....crystal clear. We just didn't want to be floundering when we need to be efficient and no trouble to the nice officer dealing with us.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Would one of them let you send it to their home address?!
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Would one of them let you send it to their home address?!
Not THAT friendly...it was a little tongue in cheek. And besides which their home addresses are likely to have PO Box numbers as well as it is a very rural area.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Farmhand is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't believe no ones offering a mailing address service, must be easy money for one of you guys!
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

IRCC exercise some leeway for initial PR cards as they recognize new immigrants won't always have a permanent address straightaway. They are tighter with renewal of PR Cards:

Operational Bulletin 491 (Modified) - June� 30, 2014

S
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
IRCC exercise some leeway for initial PR cards as they recognize new immigrants won't always have a permanent address straightaway. They are tighter with renewal of PR Cards:

Operational Bulletin 491 (Modified) - June� 30, 2014

S
Brilliant! Clarification. Many thanks for that, suddenly it all makes sense. Now we can breeze through our landing without worry. I will take a copy of that bulletin with me in case there is a dispute.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant! Clarification. Many thanks for that, suddenly it all makes sense. Now we can breeze through our landing without worry. I will take a copy of that bulletin with me in case there is a dispute.

Yes, great having a link to the 'source'.

I have taken the liberty of updating the wiki article regarding PR Cards to reflect this link, for future reference.