British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   PR activation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/pr-activation-759600/)

Mad Jockette May 26th 2012 1:03 pm

PR activation

We are off to 'Flagpole' today. Going to Coutts / Sweet Grass.

Hopefully no problems to be encountered. :fingerscrossed:

Former Lancastrian May 26th 2012 1:11 pm

Re: PR activation

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette (Post 10083278)
We are off to 'Flagpole' today. Going to Coutts / Sweet Grass.

Hopefully no problems to be encountered. :fingerscrossed:

Just make sure you arent in line with all the cross border shoppers returning;)

Mad Jockette May 26th 2012 1:17 pm

Good point , hopefully we won't be held up for too long. :fingerscrossed:
We are stopping overnight in Great Falls, not shopping this trip.

Former Lancastrian May 26th 2012 1:29 pm

You might not be but others will be :lol:
Head back early Sunday morning and should be no line ups.

Mad Jockette May 26th 2012 1:42 pm

cheers for that :)

mandymoochops May 26th 2012 9:47 pm

Awesome let me know how it goes (one day i'll be using that one or Carway :) )

umpalumpa May 27th 2012 12:18 pm

Best of luck we are doing the same this weekend I'm in the state of New york
as i type this :thumbup:

Mad Jockette May 27th 2012 10:51 pm

Hello everyone, we are now Permanent Residents of Canada woooooooo :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Me being the cautious type, I took all but the filing cabinet with me:D

We arrived at Coutts / SweetGrass to go into the USA. The 'sour pussed' Border Guard decided to interpret my husbands request as he wanted to hear.

Hubby said "Good morning, we would like to go to Great Falls for sight seeing and will return to Canada tomorrow to activate our PR".

Border Guard "park your car on the left and come into the building"

We did that and went into the building then went to a counter to be told sit down and you will be called. We did that. 20 minutes later, (no one else waiting in the building!!) Then they asked us over and were filling out a white form for us to go straight back into Canada. The guy wasn't too happy (understatement) when we said "we were going to Great Falls, do you want to see our hotel reservation" (maybe I shouldn't have said that part!!!!!!!). We got the green card thingy and off we went. A bit perplexed as it says clearly on their ?Mission stement - they would be courteous, respectful and welcoming to visitors to the USA- right :huh:
By the way we didn't expect balloons and ribbons, just the odd smile at least.

Had a nice wet and snowy time in Great Falls. Hotel was comfy and welcoming.
Returned to the Canadian border today, told the Border Guard what we wanted to do, he was pleasant as was his counterpart in the building. Within 20 mins we were out and on our way as Permanent Residents.

All the CBSA guy wanted was our COPR, Passports and for us to write our address (for posting of our PR Card) and telephone number.
I didn't need the Bank statement, or any other immigration related document that I could find in the filing cabinet :o

In all the process was quite painless, good luck to all who are awaiting their Permanent Residence and I hope you have as smooth a process with the CBSA as we did :fingerscrossed:

Mad Jockette and Trophy :D

umpalumpa May 27th 2012 11:12 pm

Yay! Sooooooooooo thrilled for you and can completely understand and relate to the frosty US side reception (we did it yesterday/today and got the frosty US reception and lovely Canadian reception :lol:

Huge congrats to you and yours! :thumbsup:

Mad Jockette May 27th 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by umpalumpa (Post 10085434)
Yay! Sooooooooooo thrilled for you and can completely understand and relate to the frosty US side reception (we did it yesterday/today and got the frosty US reception and lovely Canadian reception :lol:

Huge congrats to you and yours! :thumbsup:

Also so thrilled for you and your family to :thumbsup:

mandymoochops May 27th 2012 11:50 pm

Many congrats :thumbsup:

Mad Jockette May 27th 2012 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 10085477)
Many congrats :thumbsup:

Thank you :)

roflwell May 28th 2012 12:19 am

Congrats! I'm so far away from you in the whole thing, but it's inspiration to keep at it!

Andy.

Mad Jockette May 28th 2012 12:30 am

Originally Posted by roflwell (Post 10085519)
Congrats! I'm so far away from you in the whole thing, but it's inspiration to keep at it!

Andy.

Hi Andy
It can be frustrating, exhausting and elation over the period of time to get here.
Stick at it and I hope all goes well for you. I look forward to reading about your adventure through this and beyond :D

Thank you:thumbup:

Piff Poff May 28th 2012 1:41 am

We landed at Coutts too, ours was just as easy - Congratulations, it's a relief isn't it?