Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR accompanying Cdn citizen outside of Canada - question

PR accompanying Cdn citizen outside of Canada - question

Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice
Default PR accompanying Cdn citizen outside of Canada - question

I mentioned to a friend of mine that I understood that if his other half (common law) had been accompanying him outside of Canada (he's a Canadian Citizen) that she might still have valid PR status even though she has been outside of the country too long to keep up the 2 years in 5 residency bit.

I'm sure I have read this on the CIC site, but has anyone got any actual experience of this? How does it work, and what would they have to do to prove it? She's is still in the UK, and he's gone back to Canada recently for work.

Would they have had to state that they were doing this before they left Canada for the UK? Or is there something she can do now to state her case and keep PR going?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR accompanying Cdn citizen outside of Canada - question

I believe she would apply for a new PR card (same website as below) and give the proof with the application.

The CIC website covers this here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5445EA.asp

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your

spouse or common-law partner or
parent, if you are less than 22 years of age

Evidence that you are accompanying a Canadian citizen
You must provide supporting documents to prove that:

The person you are accompanying is a Canadian citizen; and
You are the spouse, common-law partner or child of that person.
Supporting documents may include:

marriage licence
child’s birth certificate, baptismal document, and/or adoption or guardianship document
school and/or employment records
association or club memberships
passports or other travel documents
documents indicating the status of the person you are accompanying

Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

Thanks Siouxie

I found a similar link on the cic website suggesting she could apply for a travel document, and basically listing the same type of requirements.

so not sure which would be the correct one - or maybe you can do either? I thought the pr card one was for people within Canada, and the travel document would apply to them as she is still in the UK?

Just hoping someone might have actually done this and have experience of it.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You mean this one? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5529E2.asp

I suppose she should really apply for the travel document - unless she is from a non-visa country (such as the UK) where she could enter without a problem and apply for a PR card when she gets here.

Either way, her PR status is secure.

Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
I suppose she should really apply for the travel document - unless she is from a non-visa country (such as the UK) where she could enter without a problem and apply for a PR card when she gets here.
In this situation - probably better to apply for the Travel Document.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the replies! It was what I was thinking to be honest.