matt_t is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PPR!!!

Originally Posted by Waggle
Yes 45 days. There are basically 4 options
1) Post them by courier
2) Post them by normal mail
3) Drop them in their drop-box
4) Deliver them In Person

With the first 3 options they say around 6 weeks to get the passports back. I have heard people getting them in a month, but also it taking 8 weeks or more - so you take your chances on the timescales! Note that dropping them in their drop-box is NOT the same as going "In Person" - it just saves a day of postage and I guess the reliability factor that it got there.

To go in person you have to be there between 2pm and 3pm on a Thursday, and you queue up outside - they let you in, take the docs, give you a raffle ticket and then you go back 2 weeks later to collect the visas.

So option 4) is the fastest - but I guess the most expensive depending on the costs for you to get to London twice, and the associated time off work.

For us, we actually have a trip to Vancouver booked for 27th August, and so we couldn't really risk options 1) to 3) and not getting the passports back in time. So we're going in person next Thursday (7th July) and will, all being well, collect them 2 weeks later on 21st July.

Now, if only the housing market wasn't so dire we might be able to sell our house without losing £20,000 on what we paid for it!.....

Wayne.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess its the last few hoops and your correct you don't want to take any chances. I will probably go for the courier option, as two days off work + hassle and train tickets is alot of expense for waiting another month. I have my trip booked for 22nd August so I will have no chance, to get it in time. And plus im still being really really optimistic assuming I will be given the same time frame as yours.

Do you already have a Canadian bank account?
Old Jun 30th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by matt_t
Thanks for the heads up. I guess its the last few hoops and your correct you don't want to take any chances. I will probably go for the courier option, as two days off work + hassle and train tickets is alot of expense for waiting another month. I have my trip booked for 22nd August so I will have no chance, to get it in time. And plus im still being really really optimistic assuming I will be given the same time frame as yours.

Do you already have a Canadian bank account?
Not yet. We looked into the HSBC Canada thing (since my current account, our joint current account and our savings account are all HSBC), but you need to have confirmed resident status it seems before you can sort this out from here.

So we will look to setting this up around the end of this month once we have visa/COPR.

Wayne.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Not yet. We looked into the HSBC Canada thing (since my current account, our joint current account and our savings account are all HSBC), but you need to have confirmed resident status it seems before you can sort this out from here.

So we will look to setting this up around the end of this month once we have visa/COPR.

Wayne.
Not true matey, we are with HSBC, we opened an account with HSBC Canada over a year ago ( our UK bank manager did everything for us ) and we are not even showing in process yet. Admittedly we are HSBC premier customers ( just need 50k in your account to be premier customer and I think having a mortgage with HSBC counts too ) I'd speak to them coz the proceeds from your eventual house sale will make them want you as a future premier customer.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Not true matey, we are with HSBC, we opened an account with HSBC Canada over a year ago ( our UK bank manager did everything for us ) and we are not even showing in process yet. Admittedly we are HSBC premier customers ( just need 50k in your account to be premier customer and I think having a mortgage with HSBC counts too ) I'd speak to them coz the proceeds from your eventual house sale will make them want you as a future premier customer.
Well we sure as hell won't get 50k from our house sale, we'll be lucky to get 5k after we've paid the estate agent at the price it's currently looking like getting sold for!

We do have £10k in a savings account with HSBC, and we are HSBC Advance customers in the UK.

Anyway we can go talk to them and see what they say.

Wayne.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

etjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant future

Well our address has gone missing from ECAS on Thursday!!!!!!
So we are really hoping that that's a sign that it will be updated very shortly with a bit of progress. I know it's not a definite but there is a suspicion that the address dissappearing is followed by an update of somekind. Here's hoping that's the case here: fingerscrossed:
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

We just got our passport requests by email a few moments ago

Going to London next Thursday (7th July) to deliver the passports so should have the visas for Thursday 21st July!

Wayne.
Congratulations, I shall be collecting our passports tomorrow , as I dropped them off on 23rd June, hope all goes well for you and your family.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

havana is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I appreciate ours has been much shorter than some people's journeys - but by far the worst part of the process is the wait between medicals and PPR!

Anyway we're getting more photos printed by our photographer friend (he also took the photos last month so just means a re-print on matte paper instead of gloss to confirm to the photo spec London sent us), which is only £6, so nothing really.

Should have them by the end of the week so we're good to go for handing passports in next Thursday (7th July). Managed to get some cheapish trains so 2 trips to London and back for 2 of us is only costing £100, about the same as the petrol would be to drive and way less hassle

Wayne.
Hello Waggle
congratulations....well done. I was busy doing lots of things, and last time you were in the medical check request. can you please breifly tell me what happened after that? you said a long wait, how long? and when they replied did they say that you should bring passports yourself? did they mention anything about interview???? thanks alot