Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

altonian is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

Hi everyone. New to this but here goes. Elder daughter PR living in Nova Scotia has recently sent parental sponsorship forms off to sponsor me. I am a young(ish) widow of 56 and our hope is reunification of the family. My younger daughter is single, a highly trained neurological physiotherapist, has two young sons, aged 7 and 6. We all want to immigrate to Nova Scotia together, mainly because we have bought a home together since my husbands death and for all intents and purposes we are co-parenting the boys, my grandsons (they have no contact with their father as he absconded when youngest 8 months old). We feel like we are in a catch 22 situation. When my daughter in NS filed the sponsorship forms we anticipated a 5, maybe 6 year wait. Now CIC appear to be moving the goalposts we don't know what to do. What galls me is on the website they state that they know how important it is to get families back together again. As far as I can see they are very good at taking the application fees knowing that people will die in the queue. As a family unit I believe we have a lot to offer; we own our own mortgage-free home, I have a generous for-life widows pension and I would be taking to Nova Scotia a highly qualified professional person and two potential Canadian lads. Any ideas anyone??
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

Originally Posted by altonian
Hi everyone. New to this but here goes. Elder daughter PR living in Nova Scotia has recently sent parental sponsorship forms off to sponsor me. I am a young(ish) widow of 56 and our hope is reunification of the family. My younger daughter is single, a highly trained neurological physiotherapist, has two young sons, aged 7 and 6. We all want to immigrate to Nova Scotia together, mainly because we have bought a home together since my husbands death and for all intents and purposes we are co-parenting the boys, my grandsons (they have no contact with their father as he absconded when youngest 8 months old). We feel like we are in a catch 22 situation. When my daughter in NS filed the sponsorship forms we anticipated a 5, maybe 6 year wait. Now CIC appear to be moving the goalposts we don't know what to do. What galls me is on the website they state that they know how important it is to get families back together again. As far as I can see they are very good at taking the application fees knowing that people will die in the queue. As a family unit I believe we have a lot to offer; we own our own mortgage-free home, I have a generous for-life widows pension and I would be taking to Nova Scotia a highly qualified professional person and two potential Canadian lads. Any ideas anyone??
It would not be so much you are taking anyone, they could take themselves if they chose to. You and your daughter could apply separately, if you both have skills that are in demand occupations, if not try and get a job offer and apply that way if you have a trade and are prepared to go back to work to get to Canada. You could also try for a TWP, not easy to get right now.

FYI, it is best to start your own thread in the forums than tag on the end of an old one. This way you get more responses.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot you can do, unless you qualify for a visa via another route?

Welcome to the forum btw.

Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

Thanks for reply Aviator. Main problem is my age - they don't want you over age 55, and fact that myself and younger daughter financially linked - she can't afford property on own, and I am her child care provider whilst she works. We are like a cohabiting couple (except for the coupling bit which would be illegal!!). If she applied separately she could get in quickly but that would leave me here alone for possibly 10 years - not something I could contemplate, as the boys are my raison d'etre since my husband's death. As for me gettting work in NS I was a midwife, but never a nurse - midwifery is not a career that has ever taken off in Nova Scotia. I gave up work several years ago when my husband took early retirement, before he knew he had cancer. We have looked into every immigration category but the cut off age is always 55 for Nova Scotia. My elder daughter was tempted away to Nova Scotia by a company recruiting staff, and as a family we agreed that she should go as at that time family reunification seemed straightforward. My husband gave his blessing, thinking that one day the family could start again after his passing. When that time came my first visit to Nova Scotia was the day after his funeral when I accompanied my elder daughter back home, and we have visited four times in 3 years. Our next visit is in a few weeks. We love the place, but it looks like it may forever just be a holiday destination. Very difficult after 3 years of living and breathing Nova Scotia.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

Hi Christmasoompa, thanks for greeting. Will take me a bit of time to get used to this forum thing, but have been logging in for some time now to read posts; decided to stop sitting on the fence.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:28 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply Aviator. Main problem is my age - they don't want you over age 55, and fact that myself and younger daughter financially linked - she can't afford property on own, and I am her child care provider whilst she works. We are like a cohabiting couple (except for the coupling bit which would be illegal!!). If she applied separately she could get in quickly but that would leave me here alone for possibly 10 years - not something I could contemplate, as the boys are my raison d'etre since my husband's death. As for me gettting work in NS I was a midwife, but never a nurse - midwifery is not a career that has ever taken off in Nova Scotia. I gave up work several years ago when my husband took early retirement, before he knew he had cancer. We have looked into every immigration category but the cut off age is always 55 for Nova Scotia. My elder daughter was tempted away to Nova Scotia by a company recruiting staff, and as a family we agreed that she should go as at that time family reunification seemed straightforward. My husband gave his blessing, thinking that one day the family could start again after his passing. When that time came my first visit to Nova Scotia was the day after his funeral when I accompanied my elder daughter back home, and we have visited four times in 3 years. Our next visit is in a few weeks. We love the place, but it looks like it may forever just be a holiday destination. Very difficult after 3 years of living and breathing Nova Scotia.
Better to apply for parental sponsorship now, not get to 64 look back and wish you had done it in 2011.