British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/potential-longer-wait-parent-grandparent-sponsorship-705314/)

zmartin Feb 14th 2011 3:34 am

Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

... for family reunification apparently.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/...ion-rates.html

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2011 8:31 am

Re: Potential longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship

Originally Posted by zmartin (Post 9174472)
... for family reunification apparently.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/...ion-rates.html

Blimey, as if a 4/5 year wait wasn't long enough! Can see why that's the category they want to put on the back burner though, after all an 85 year old grandparent isn't going to bring much to Canada versus a young Skilled Worker.

Have changed the thread title btw, when I saw it I thought it was about dropping off visas at a visa office! So wanted to make sure that people who could be affected by this change see it.

Thx for posting it. :)

james.mc Feb 14th 2011 12:35 pm

It's not just family class.. but has an affect on other classes as also contained within that article is the impact the policy will also have on FSW applications as well.

edwinslad tried to open up another thread on FSW implications but it was closed by christmasoompa, with a link left to this thread (concerning longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship) and an indication that the new FSW post caused a duplicate thread.

Maybe the title of this thread could be adjusted to reflect that it's more than just parent/grandparent sponsorships being affected?

E.G. Potential longer wait for various classes of PR applications.

Source http://www.cbc.ca/

Among the biggest losers from Canada's reduced immigration targets are those applying under the federal skilled worker program — a category the government has repeatedly said it wants to prioritize.
I potentially foresee a huge shake up in the FSW scheme to be brought into force in June 2011.

regards
James

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2011 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 9175379)
It's not just family class.. but has an affect on other classes as also contained within that article is the impact the policy will also have on FSW applications as well.

Not much of an impact though, this happens every year to FSW. The article is really about the impact on Family Class applications, the FSW bit is only mentioned at the bottom.

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 9175379)
edwinslad tried to open up another thread on FSW implications but it was closed by christmasoompa, with a link left to this thread (concerning longer wait for parent/grandparent sponsorship) and an indication that the new FSW post caused a duplicate thread.

It was a duplicate thread - link to exactly the same article!

james.mc Feb 14th 2011 1:39 pm

Oh damn... I must be off topic talking about the impact on FSW applications. Apologies to all.:o

Granma Nessie Feb 14th 2011 4:47 pm

I may as well start building my coffin now:sneaky: I thought I might get the PR visa about 2013/2014 but maybe 2018 will be more realistic now . Dponsor forms were put into Mississauga April 2008 too. I see Big Ron whose went in only 9 months before me is all done and dusted..... you are so lucky to have timed it just so.
I had wanted to see my granddaughter grow up in her young years now she will be a teenager by the time I get PR .

Granma Nessie

engineer80 Feb 14th 2011 6:02 pm

I find the wait times under this stream to be quite disturbing. As a PR I think you are perfectly within your right to be able to sponsor parents within a reasonable timeframe, particularly if they are living alone in the UK. Most parents of sponsors will be elderly and as Granma Nessie pointed out, once you get to a certain age, time is of great importance. I feel for everyone still waiting to hear under this route and hoping your applications are processed as quickly as possible.

Granma Nessie Feb 14th 2011 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by engineer80 (Post 9176023)
I find the wait times under this stream to be quite disturbing. As a PR I think you are perfectly within your right to be able to sponsor parents within a reasonable timeframe, particularly if they are living alone in the UK. Most parents of sponsors will be elderly and as Granma Nessie pointed out, once you get to a certain age, time is of great importance. I feel for everyone still waiting to hear under this route and hoping your applications are processed as quickly as possible.

Thanks for being understanding, Engineer80,. After all we are not able to claim any Canadian State benefits for the first 10 years as family are responsible for seeing that we have a crust to eat and we can be invaluable in helping to provide childcare to let parents go out to work full time so where is the problem? I shall just have to eye up the local grandads next time I go over and see if I can change my route to the spousal one... a hell of a lot quicker:D

On a more upbeat note I hope you hear good news soon re your own application

james.mc Feb 14th 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie (Post 9176055)
.............. I shall just have to eye up the local grandads next time I go over and see if I can change my route to the spousal one... a hell of a lot quicker:D

You've just got to love Granma Nessie's approach :thumbup:

PMM Feb 14th 2011 6:41 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie (Post 9176055)
Thanks for being understanding, Engineer80,. After all we are not able to claim any Canadian State benefits for the first 10 years as family are responsible for seeing that we have a crust to eat and we can be invaluable in helping to provide childcare to let parents go out to work full time so where is the problem? I shall just have to eye up the local grandads next time I go over and see if I can change my route to the spousal one... a hell of a lot quicker:D

On a more upbeat note I hope you hear good news soon re your own application

1. Note you forgot that the elderly are eligible for health care, which ain't cheap and they never paid into the system.
2. Australia the cap for non contributory parents is 1000 per year and the wait list is now 20 years.

Robin (The Gadget family) Feb 14th 2011 9:15 pm

We had hoped that my brother's application to sponsor my nearly 80 yr old mother would be approved this year but now I wonder.

The way things look, I and my family will be joining my siblings in Canada and poor mum will be left here in the UK all on her own.

My brothers and I had hoped that we would look after mum, build her a granny cabin, involve her in our lives, take her sailing, provide main meals, take her on outings and generally love and look after her to her dying day.

I wonder whether there will be an increase in applications on humanitarian and compassionate grounds......

PMM Feb 14th 2011 9:57 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 9176463)
We had hoped that my brother's application to sponsor my nearly 80 yr old mother would be approved this year but now I wonder.

The way things look, I and my family will be joining my siblings in Canada and poor mum will be left here in the UK all on her own.

My brothers and I had hoped that we would look after mum, build her a granny cabin, involve her in our lives, take her sailing, provide main meals, take her on outings and generally love and look after her to her dying day.

I wonder whether there will be an increase in applications on humanitarian and compassionate grounds......

There maybe, but most H.& C.s for parents based on the processing time are refused. The usual remark from CIC it has a conscious decision to be separated from your parents/grandparents by emigrating.

Note the processing time for Australia (cap of 1000) for non contributory parents is presently 20 years.

ExKiwilass Feb 14th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 9176544)
Hi

There maybe, but most H.& C.s for parents based on the processing time are refused. The usual remark from CIC it has a conscious decision to be separated from your parents/grandparents by emigrating.

Note the processing time for Australia (cap of 1000) for non contributory parents is presently 20 years.

exactly.

Robin (The Gadget family) Feb 15th 2011 5:21 am

In most cases I would agree that by emigrating, immigrants choose to leave family behind, however I am hoping that in our case, CIC will consider our rather different circumstances.

As a family we cruised on a sailing boat having left England when I was 5. We ended up in Canada in the late 70's -early 80's, where eventually my brothers were able to stay as 'Landed Immigrants'. I returned to the UK, and my parents returned to a nomadic life of cruising. As my parents got older and less capable of the sailing life, they had to choose between the UK and Canada and because they didn't have any status other than as visitors in Canada, they returned to the UK, where they hadn't lived for 25 years.

My father died 4 yrs ago and now we are trying to reunite the family and I have been accepted for PR.

Maybe we will be successful in my brothers application to sponsor my mother before she dies of old age as a result of our unusual case, we'll see.

rubberduckofdeath Feb 15th 2011 7:35 am

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 9176544)
Hi

Valid point. 20 years. Wow!