Postponing immigration

Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Ant_Barber is on a distinguished road
Red face Postponing immigration

Hello everyone
I can't believe I'm writing this but is it possible to postpone the Skilled Worker visa process?!! The timing of the whole thing has gone against us, without really realising it. It wasn't until now that we are filling the all forms for the 120 day stuff that we have actually properly sat down and bashed all the finer figures out to come up with an 'unencumbered' amount to take over with and discovered that we really aren't sitting half as pretty as we were when we initially applied back in 2007, what with house prices plummeting and exchange rates now dropping like a stone. So realistically we could do with an extra couple of years to try and recoup.
I know i can withdraw my application, but ideally I would like to stay in the system if possible.
Any advice would be well received.

Cheers
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postponing immigration

Originally Posted by Ant_Barber

Hello everyone
I can't believe I'm writing this but is it possible to postpone the Skilled Worker visa process?!! The timing of the whole thing has gone against us, without really realising it. It wasn't until now that we are filling the all forms for the 120 day stuff that we have actually properly sat down and bashed all the finer figures out to come up with an 'unencumbered' amount to take over with and discovered that we really aren't sitting half as pretty as we were when we initially applied back in 2007, what with house prices plummeting and exchange rates now dropping like a stone. So realistically we could do with an extra couple of years to try and recoup.
I know i can withdraw my application, but ideally I would like to stay in the system if possible.

Cheers
No, unfortunately not. You can drag it out (i.e. don't send off your documents requested in your 120 day letter until the 120 days are almost up, don't have your medicals done immediately etc), but only to about a year.

But don't forget you don't have to move immediately, once you've got your visas you'll have approx 4 years before you actually have to move to Canada.

Good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Cheers
Like Christmasoompa said delay as much as possible with updates meds etc, looks like the medical requests are taking a while anyway ( for some esp 2007 applicants, Land and come back that will give you the time you need, also house prices have risen again this month so looking a bit better i should think ?? who knows

Is there no way you can get another income from somewhere ie let a room ( just clutching at straws ) good luck anyway i would still go for it after all you have paid up loads already
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I agree with what the others have said and although I do sympathise with your problems, you have to realise that we are all in the same boat financially. If you do wait a couple of years, who knows, it could be better or it could be worse.

In my opinion I would make the move, sooner rather than later and try to rebuild your finances in a country whose economy is faring better than here in the UK. Just means you will not have as much as you would have liked...but can you run the risk of being here and things here getting even worse?

I know that you will have a bit of time on your side with the rules for residency, but if you wait until then and things have worsened here, you may be in an even worse position. I know it is scary.....but sometimes you just need to take the leap of faith.

Good luck whatever you decide to do
Stef

Hello everyone

Cheers
Old May 1st 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, unfortunately not. You can drag it out (i.e. don't send off your documents requested in your 120 day letter until the 120 days are almost up, don't have your medicals done immediately etc), but only to about a year.

But don't forget you don't have to move immediately, once you've got your visas you'll have approx 4 years before you actually have to move to Canada.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, I thought it was a long shot. When you say it'll be approx 4 years are you including the waiting of the medicals in that as well as the living in the country 2 out of the 5 years ruling.?
Old May 1st 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I agree with what the others have said and although I do sympathise with your problems, you have to realise that we are all in the same boat financially. If you do wait a couple of years, who knows, it could be better or it could be worse.

In my opinion I would make the move, sooner rather than later and try to rebuild your finances in a country whose economy is faring better than here in the UK. Just means you will not have as much as you would have liked...but can you run the risk of being here and things here getting even worse?

I know that you will have a bit of time on your side with the rules for residency, but if you wait until then and things have worsened here, you may be in an even worse position. I know it is scary.....but sometimes you just need to take the leap of faith.

Stef
I understand what you are saying but I genuinly think we'll be better off trying to make the difference here knowing all the variables by downsizing and buying cheaper to renovate to cash in a bit but it will take a couple of years and then obviously I need sell after that. At least this is the plan! I understand we can probably do the same over there but at least we know the system here etc.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Like Christmasoompa said delay as much as possible with updates meds etc, looks like the medical requests are taking a while anyway ( for some esp 2007 applicants, Land and come back that will give you the time you need, also house prices have risen again this month so looking a bit better i should think ?? who knows

Is there no way you can get another income from somewhere ie let a room ( just clutching at straws ) good luck anyway i would still go for it after all you have paid up loads already
Hello coffeepot! I noticed your timeline there, we were another that the CIC forgot! We applied in June 2007, had things gone as quickly as they seem to be now for the new applicants I probably be over there now living the life!!
Old May 1st 2010, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello coffeepot! I noticed your timeline there, we were another that the CIC forgot! We applied in June 2007, had things gone as quickly as they seem to be now for the new applicants I probably be over there now living the life!!
Yep there are a few of us still left not even updates yet, seems ironic really we are wanting to go, have been trying to sell the house for months and you are needing to delay going yet are getting through it all so much faster than us, Shame we can't swap

I can understand what you are saying about staying inside your comfort zone buying and selling here etc, i would however not buy again here if your intention is to sell again within a couple of years you are very unlikely to make any money and will probably even loose more, unless you are very fortunate to buy somewhere and develop it within weeks and resell ?

You need to way up all the costs stamp duty ( if it applies ) Solicitors, searches, moving costs etc etc also interest rates are going to go up and they don't go through the sky like they have after every other recession ( thats a killer )

A lot depends on what happens next week with the election

If you really want to stay here to save i would rent as cheap as possible and just save like mad, remember you can delay your update until the last minute then same with meds, even if all goes smoothly and you get PR status you can land within the year of meds ( i think ) and save the move until later.as the others have said.

At this stage and with the changes due to come in at any time i would not risk delaying too much, good luck whatever you decide
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, I thought it was a long shot. When you say it'll be approx 4 years are you including the waiting of the medicals in that as well as the living in the country 2 out of the 5 years ruling.?
Yes, you'll have a year from the date of medicals in which to land, and then another 3 years before you actually have to move after that (although you'd be better off giving yourself a few months leeway in case you have to leave Canada). So approximately 4 years in total.
Old May 3rd 2010, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future

Hi Ant_Barber,

We are doing what christmasoompa suggest's below, we wont have some debt paid/savings until around 2012 so we strung everything out till the deadlines on the application and are planning to land in October..then come back after a couple of weeks holiday..with the 2 in 5 years ruling it does buy you a bit of time to get things sorted

Just hoping they are not very strict in wanting to see every last penny when we land later in the year as the cash went on the deposit for a house here bit of a daft investment but hey-ho.
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can you still use your house valuation against your mortgage, to show you have funds ? i know people have used this and it was accepted
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:29 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

QUOTE=Coffeepot;8539816]Can you still use your house valuation against your mortgage, to show you have funds ? i know people have used this and it was accepted [/QUOTE]

You will have to show unencumbered funds before the visa will be issued.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

gaz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

Stef
we are in the same boat as you. we have just had medicals we applyed may 07 when my house was £50000 more then it is now!and the dollar was $2.10 to the £ .i think we just have to do it. it could get a lot worse .and the house prices are only going to get higher in canada as well.if i sell my house i am putting the money in a hsbc prem account here in the uk until thing pick up (if they do)you still have controll of it in pounds change it when the time is right.
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gaz77
we are in the same boat as you. we have just had medicals we applyed may 07 when my house was £50000 more then it is now!and the dollar was $2.10 to the £ .i think we just have to do it. it could get a lot worse .and the house prices are only going to get higher in canada as well.if i sell my house i am putting the money in a hsbc prem account here in the uk until thing pick up (if they do)you still have controll of it in pounds change it when the time is right.
When we applied in 07 we went for a recci at Easter $2.34 = £1.00 and our house was valued at more than £150,000 than it is on the market for now, just dropped the price again, still nothing, the market is absolutely saturated which doesn't help one little bit, but hey ho if you want to go then thats what you have to do
Old May 4th 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

gaz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Can you still use your house valuation against your mortgage, to show you have funds ? i know people have used this and it was accepted
yes we did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.