Post Office Account

Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default Post Office Account

I am hoping to apply for Common-Law Partner in 12 months time.

My girlfriend and I are looking to set up a joint bank account together in the UK. However, banks have refused because even though we have been together for over two years, she has only been living in the UK with me for 3 months and has therefore not built up a UK credit score yet.

We do however think we are able to get the Post Office flexible saving account. The agent has told us that to the best of her knowledge we are eligible - I was wondering, is a joint Post Office account going to be okay for my application? Or does it specifically have to be with a bank?

Also, if anyone knows any banks we could try that have worked for you, I'd be delighted to know (HSBC have refused us, even though we are both account holders - me for 14 years, and my partner for 3 months).

Thanks!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Office Account

It's not the be all and end all in proving your relationship - we've never had a joint account and I don't think we ever will, it's just not how we work. CIC can understand that. You need a conclusive package, it's not going to be knocked back on lack of joint bank account Fwiw, include the rejection letters for joint accounts - shows you've tried to combine finances.

Just stand back, pretend you don't know yourselves, and look at all the evidence in your application package in front of you. Would you believe that you were a genuine couple? Is there enough there? Does it show you're a couple and not just flatmates?