Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Post-Graduation Work Permit - Question

Post-Graduation Work Permit - Question

Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

londonlass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Post-Graduation Work Permit - Question

Does anyone know if what you're studying makes any difference to you being eligible for a Post-GradWP or is it just the length of your course and where you study?

I'm considering studying a 2yr Business or Office Administration diploma in Canada. Alternatively I'm thinking of maybe using my return to study (and hopeful permanent move to Canada) to go in a whole new direction.

I've found the list on the CIC site of participating colleges/Uni's so am only considering attending one of those on it but can't see if it also matters what the course is in or do I qualify for the work permit so long as I graduate from a participating college on a course thats at least 1yr long?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all
Default Re: Post-Graduation Work Permit - Question

For Federal work permit, I don’t know the answer for sure, but looking at the following page, it seems that they are more concerned with the length of time rather than the course work:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/study/work-postgrad.asp

However, if you are also considering applying for provincial nomination to get PR (and stay in Canada permanently), the requirements would varies from province to province. For example for BC, they do restrict PNP to graduates with certain degrees only:

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincial...lgraduates.htm

Of course, you can always apply for Canadian Experience Class (CEC) after you fulfill graduation and work requirements, and not go the PNP route.

Ray
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Ray, that's what I thought but just wanted to check I hadn't missed a key point or requirement
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:45 am
hmm the waiting game....

Spectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant future

if u spend 2 full years studying, then you are eligible for 3 year post graduation work permit, which gives enough time to immigrate into canada
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:58 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot get a permit after taking 2 years of ESL for example and the course of study has to be at an approved type of school. Not all course or schools can fit the bill.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies...
So Jim you're saying it does make a difference what subject my diploma is in?
Assuming i go to an approved college, do you know how i find out if the actual course qualifies?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough

the post graduate permit can not be longer than the term of study and is a minimum of 8 months and a maximum of three years.

A two year qualifying program gets you a two year post graduate permit.

Ben
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:10 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion is that you apply for a course that makes sense in your life.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:17 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonlass
Does anyone know if what you're studying makes any difference to you being eligible for a Post-GradWP or is it just the length of your course and where you study?

I'm considering studying a 2yr Business or Office Administration diploma in Canada. Alternatively I'm thinking of maybe using my return to study (and hopeful permanent move to Canada) to go in a whole new direction.

I've found the list on the CIC site of participating colleges/Uni's so am only considering attending one of those on it but can't see if it also matters what the course is in or do I qualify for the work permit so long as I graduate from a participating college on a course thats at least 1yr long?
I suggest you contact the colleges you are interested in studying at. They usually have an office looking after international students and are familiar with the rules and regaulations. When I studied the postgrad work permit was for a shorter time if you found a job in GTA, Vancouver and some other place. It may have changed now so best to check with someone who knows more, such as the college.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BenB2
the post graduate permit can not be longer than the term of study and is a minimum of 8 months and a maximum of three years.

A two year qualifying program gets you a two year post graduate permit.

Ben
Thats only partially correct. If the length of study was for 2 years (or more), it is possible to get a work permit for up to 3 years:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/study/w...stgrad-who.asp

Ray
Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough

quoted from the URL you sent in:

"Impact of length of study in Canada and the length of the work permit
A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the length of time you studied in Canada. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three-year year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months."

This reads to me that a two year study program = two year work permit, not three.

Although this seems to contradict the above:

"two years or more a work permit may be issued for three years"

Ben
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:55 am
hmm the waiting game....

Spectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant future

i was a student, and completed two years diploma and got my 3 years PG work permit.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:24 am

A full reading of the link info at the CIC website confirms that a two year completed program can be used to obtain a 3 year TWP. There are other conditions so you have to read the whole thing to be sure you qualify. As I said, ESL does not count.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the responses... My research so far suggests that it won't matter what what subject my diploma is in (so long as the course is long enough and from an approved college) but am contacting the colleges running courses I'm interested in to make sure.