Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Post-Graduation Work Permit Changes.

Wikiposts

Post-Graduation Work Permit Changes.

Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Vanite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Post-Graduation Work Permit Changes.

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that those who have been able to get PR with RA experience are grad student RAs who work in a lab. Basically, they're technically employed full-time or half-time by their supervisors as a way of funding them, so it's much like any other job. I suspect it's much more difficult to stitch together non-lab-based RAships (since these tend to involve actual number of hours worked, and may not be continuous or regular) and TAships to make a convincing case that one has satisfied the full-time equivalent requirement.

Anyway, that's just a thought. I don't actually know any of this.

Cheers,
--Vanite
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

agenmarium is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanite
Good news, eh? NOW the CEC begins to make some sense for international students.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2008-04-21.asp

-- Vanite
I'm from India, I have done my Masters in Social Work (MSW) and have 2 years of relevant work experience. I intend to go for studies in Canada for the Winter 2009 intake. And the program I' m planning to apply is a Full time 10 months accelerated diploma program (either Social Service Worker program or Development Service Worker program) in Ontario.

It would be very helpful if you could clarify my following questions.

1. Is it legal to apply for the PR while I'm in study visa from Canada?
2. I have a close relative who emigrated to Canada recently. Does this factor increase the possibility of rejecting my study visa by the embassy?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Quagmire is an unknown quantity at this point

Agenmarium,

1. It is perfectly legal to apply for you to apply for PR while you are studying.

2. This factor will actually improve your chance in getting your PR. I think you will have extra 5 points if you have a relative in Canada. I also dont think this would affect your study visa in any way.

I guess you are a little scared because you have heard about the visas and immigration in the US. In Canada, it is the opposite. They encourage you to study here and become PR. If you have enough money or scholarship to support yourself during your studies in Canada, you shouldn't have a problem in getting the visa.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Hi Quagmire!

Thanks for your reply. It was really a help.

So if its possible to apply for PR while on Student visa; when can i apply for it once i reach Canada?
As the program i opt would be an accelerated 10 months course; what will be the duration of the Post Graduate Work permit i will be permitted? And is it possible that I can obtain my PR during that given period?

Thanks....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Quagmire is an unknown quantity at this point

Look here to find out when you will be eligible to become PR
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sess/index.asp

I think you can get a 10 month work permit after your graduation.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/w...stgrad-who.asp

If you apply for PR(through skilled worker route) from Canada, you would probably end up sending your application to Bufallo. Look here for application processing time.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...d-fed.asp#west

There have been new rules and changes about obtaining PR. You have to keep an eye on the CIC website to be updated.

I would also recommend you to spend some time on the CIC website which will answer most of your questions. Good luck.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot Quagmire!