Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Post Approval Application Question

Post Approval Application Question

Old Jun 8th 2018, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

darrenhumm1910 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Post Approval Application Question

Hi,

Me and my partner (who is Canadian) are just about to submit our spousal sponsorship forms. We have done lots of research and know that the expected timeline is about 12 months at the moment for completion. My question is, assuming everything goes well and I get approved to be a PR, what happens once I receive confirmation that this is the case? Do I need to go to Canada straight away to get my PR card (or can I do this outside of Canada) and once I have my PR card, do I have a certain amount of time to move to Canada officially? Currently we live in the UK, own our house and don't really want to kick of selling house and moving until we know for sure if I can get approved for PR status.

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Approval Application Question

As a PR you’re allowed 2 years from date of your medical examination before you require to activate your PR by entering the country.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrenhumm1910
Hi,

Me and my partner (who is Canadian) are just about to submit our spousal sponsorship forms. We have done lots of research and know that the expected timeline is about 12 months at the moment for completion. My question is, assuming everything goes well and I get approved to be a PR, what happens once I receive confirmation that this is the case? Do I need to go to Canada straight away to get my PR card (or can I do this outside of Canada) and once I have my PR card, do I have a certain amount of time to move to Canada officially? Currently we live in the UK, own our house and don't really want to kick of selling house and moving until we know for sure if I can get approved for PR status.

Thanks
Most of your questions answered in the wiki section here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa..._Forms#Landing

assuming everything goes well and I get approved to be a PR, what happens once I receive confirmation that this is the case?

That is up to you! You will get a CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) form that MUST be exercised by landing and declaring PR in Canada by the stated expiry date (usually 1 years from the date of your medical)

D
o I need to go to Canada straight away to get my PR card (or can I do this outside of Canada).

Answered above. No you cannot do this from outside Canada.

and once I have my PR card, do I have a certain amount of time to move to Canada officially? Currently we live in the UK, own our house and don't really want to kick of selling house and moving until we know for sure if I can get approved for PR status.

Sort of. You can do a 'soft landing' (or flagpole) to declare PR, then return to the UK to sell up. As long as you can give CBSA a Canadian residential address to send the card to then fine, if not then you must wait to apply for the card once you have a Canadian residential address. Pretty common for people to land and declare PR then return to sell up for 12 - 18 months or so.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
As a PR you’re allowed 2 years from date of your medical examination before you require to activate your PR by entering the country.
Typo I think - it’s 1 year.

HTH.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Typo I think - it’s 1 year.

HTH.
Yes it is 1 year - OR another date determined by CIC - they will usually give you a few weeks at least until the CoPR expires. Also turnaround times for straightforward applications can be considerably less than 1 year (6 maybe 9 months)