Wikiposts

possibly a stupid question...

Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:17 am
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Default possibly a stupid question...

but like mr garrison says, there are no stupid questions only stupid people. with that in mind i thought i should ask this so i can move away from the stupid pile!

i'm looking at the guide to filling in the CIC forms for permanent residence and it's asking for details of family members (this crops up on several forms including PNP forms i believe) and as they don't have the most helpful instructions i got to wondering, does "family members" mean partner and kids only? i only ask as i have neither and so i would be applying solo so should i put N/A in these sections?

i don't think they're too interested in my sweet white haired old mother who's not coming with me!

always best to check when you're unsure, especially when it's something as important as this.

big thanks in advance, jack.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: possibly a stupid question...

On the Additional Family Information form there is a box where you declare that you have no spouse or common-law partner. And another box next row down where you declare if you have no children.

So you'd only fill your own + parents' details in the top section, and then details of any siblings in the bottom section.

As for the rest of the forms I'd probably just put NA for any questions involving spouse. IMO it's better to at least looked like you've read the question than to just leave it blank, even if it doesn't apply.

Wayne.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:35 am
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

thanks dude, the forms can be a bit overwhelming and after a while of staring at the black and white you go a bit snow blind so i must have missed that check box.

one extra question: filling in the family details on IM0008 do i have to specify parents and siblings? i only ask because one's not coming with me, one's already in canada and the other i haven't spoken to in almost 20 years. it seems to be more spouse and kids orientated...

cheers.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:07 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
thanks dude, the forms can be a bit overwhelming and after a while of staring at the black and white you go a bit snow blind so i must have missed that check box.

one extra question: filling in the family details on IM0008 do i have to specify parents and siblings? i only ask because one's not coming with me, one's already in canada and the other i haven't spoken to in almost 20 years. it seems to be more spouse and kids orientated...

cheers.
even if they are not coming or are already there, you still have to complete parents' an siblings' details.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:37 am
The Dude Abides

hmm... thanks for the response. my father's details could be a problem as we haven't spoken for so long i don't even know if he's still alive. i'm guessing that might be a problem with the forms. does anyone have any suggestions about what to do there?

it's a conundrum...

big thanks, jack
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:47 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
hmm... thanks for the response. my father's details could be a problem as we haven't spoken for so long i don't even know if he's still alive. i'm guessing that might be a problem with the forms. does anyone have any suggestions about what to do there?

it's a conundrum...

big thanks, jack
not sure what you would have to do in your case, but I don't have any of my father's details either. Where they asked for father's family name I put 'unknown' and everyehere else 'n/a' and they did not query it.

I guess you could enter his family name and the details you do have (your mom may even have some of the details you need) otherwise just enter 'unknown', or better still, send CIC a message and ask them what you should do.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:23 am
The Dude Abides

thanks for that, i may drop CIC a line to make extra sure i don't make a monumental (and expensive) cock up on the forms!

thanks guys.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

shashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We used an Immigration Advisor when we filled in our forms. We were unsure of the whereabouts of two of my hubbys siblings, the Advisor put their names in but stated addresses as 'unknown'. Apparently this was acceptable by CIC.
It may be best to just check though.
Shashy
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:37 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
On the Additional Family Information form there is a box where you declare that you have no spouse or common-law partner. And another box next row down where you declare if you have no children.

So you'd only fill your own + parents' details in the top section, and then details of any siblings in the bottom section.

As for the rest of the forms I'd probably just put NA for any questions involving spouse. IMO it's better to at least looked like you've read the question than to just leave it blank, even if it doesn't apply.

Wayne.
Just to reiterate - don't leave any box blank - others have had them returned for that alone - always put NA, rather than blank.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:26 pm
J2J
Forum Regular

J2J is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Just to reiterate - don't leave any box blank - others have had them returned for that alone - always put NA, rather than blank.
So in a two part question, such as a YES box and a NO box, that says if NO explain.... and you had checked YES would you still go on to put N/A in the 2nd part of that question and every question that is like that?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Originally Posted by J2J
So in a two part question, such as a YES box and a NO box, that says if NO explain.... and you had checked YES would you still go on to put N/A in the 2nd part of that question and every question that is like that?
I would, yes. Just to be on the safe side. Basically, leave no ambiguity! It might very well be fine not to in this case, but why take a chance?!