Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Possibly paid the wrong fee for WP extension.

Possibly paid the wrong fee for WP extension.

Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Possibly paid the wrong fee for WP extension.

Long story short, I applied to extend my work permit back in November. On the same form I also requested my wife and kid's visitor status' to be extended. I only paid $150, simply because it was difficult to understand whether or not I needed to pay for the wife and kids extension, and also, they didn't need to pay anything on entry like I did.

Given the long processing times for postal applications, I should hear something in the next week or so. I am worried now that they may send it back to me if I did indeed send the wrong amount of fees, as per this paragraph below in the extension guide...

Incorrect payments
If you have sent insufficient fees or incorrect form of payment, we will return your application with instructions. You must then pay the additional fees and mail everything back to us. This will delay the processing of your application. If you have overpaid, we will refund the overpayment. We will issue a cheque as soon as possible.

That's fine, if i've done wrong I'll send the right amount back. HOWEVER... my work permit expires on the 11th April, which means if I have to resubmit, I'm not sure if I can maintain my implied status (as I would be applying less than 30 days prior to the work permit expiring)

My question is then - if I have to resubmit, would I maintain implied status as my original application was sent in November?

Hope I make sense,
Wolst
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Possibly paid the wrong fee for WP extension.

Managed to speak to someone other than a robot at CIC...

I did pay the wrong fee, they told me to pay the missing amount online and phone the receipt number through (and send a hard copy in the post). Hopefully it shouldn't delay things too much...
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:41 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie

I did pay the wrong fee, they told me to pay the missing amount online and phone the receipt number through (and send a hard copy in the post). Hopefully it shouldn't delay things too much...
Phew..lol
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:43 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one! Breath a little easier now
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers, will relax only when this stupid piece of paper is hanging out of my passport though!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future

hi wolstie , can i ask what number you called to speak to someone, cheers
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:50 am
Just Joined

derbydonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Long story short, I applied to extend my work permit back in November. On the same form I also requested my wife and kid's visitor status' to be extended. I only paid $150, simply because it was difficult to understand whether or not I needed to pay for the wife and kids extension, and also, they didn't need to pay anything on entry like I did.

Given the long processing times for postal applications, I should hear something in the next week or so. I am worried now that they may send it back to me if I did indeed send the wrong amount of fees, as per this paragraph below in the extension guide...

Incorrect payments
If you have sent insufficient fees or incorrect form of payment, we will return your application with instructions. You must then pay the additional fees and mail everything back to us. This will delay the processing of your application. If you have overpaid, we will refund the overpayment. We will issue a cheque as soon as possible.

That's fine, if i've done wrong I'll send the right amount back. HOWEVER... my work permit expires on the 11th April, which means if I have to resubmit, I'm not sure if I can maintain my implied status (as I would be applying less than 30 days prior to the work permit expiring)

My question is then - if I have to resubmit, would I maintain implied status as my original application was sent in November?

Hope I make sense,
Wolst
We had exactly the same situation(those forms are NOT easy to understand).
We contacted the Immigration people in Halifax and they told us not to worry.
Our advice is to keep immigration informed.
Our forms eventually came back from London to Nova Scotia via Switzerland !
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sheera67
hi wolstie , can i ask what number you called to speak to someone, cheers

To speak to someone regarding a work permit you should dial 1-888-242-2100 then press 2, 7, (enter your 8 digit client id), 1, (four digit date of birth), 1, 0.

Good luck.

derbydonkey, did you initially apply to Vegreville? How much extra had you not paid?

Wolst