Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to retail both US and Candian PR for some time

Is it possible to retail both US and Candian PR for some time

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

biran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible to retail both US and Candian PR for some time

Hi All ,
Is it possible to retain the CAnadiana and US PR for some Time. After going through the rules , I assume it is technically possible to keep both PR atleast for 3 years , but what is the practcal considerations.

If the cdn immigration officers finds a American GC stamp in your passport will they allow you to get in and vice versa.

My assumptions are based on the following two facts.

Rule 1 # You need to stay in canada for atleast 2 in 5 yaers

Rule 2 # There are no risks in loosing your US GC as long as your foreign visits are less than 3 months.

Thanks
Biran
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

tony_ZZZ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it possible to retail both US and Candian PR for some time

Yes it is possible to retain both, however I would strongly advice to obtain citizenship in one of the two countries.

One scenario where you can hold two PRs would be if you were say living in the U.S. with your Candian citizen spouse (assuming your Candian citizen spouse also holds US residency ... green card). You would always be able to head back to Canada no problem with your Canadain PR card (and your spouse of course).

I guess if you own a home in one of the two countries, but work in the other, that would be another way of requiring you to keep both ... but it would still be advisable to eventually obtain citizenship in one of the two countries (if not both).

If you do fall in that category (where your home is in one country, but you work in the other), if customs ever does ask you regarding your dual PRs you would need to tell them the truth and you should be ok (hopefully).