Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Possible to re-enter on a visitor visa?

Possible to re-enter on a visitor visa?

Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Phumfeinz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible to re-enter on a visitor visa?

Hey guys. So I just returned today from my 3-month visit to Canada, and... well... I really, really miss my girlfriend who lives there.

Well, when I arrived back in April I got a visitor visa stamped into my passport which expires October 10th.

Is it possible for me at all to go back to Canada (leaving before Oct 10 obviously) using this visa, or would I have to have a new one stamped in?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:19 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible to re-enter on a visitor visa?

It depends whether you were granted a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.

If you have a single entry visa, you can go back and forth amongst Canada, the USA, St. Pierre and Miquelon. Otherwise you cannot enter Canada, leave Canada and then re-enter Canada on that same single entry visa.

A multiple entry visa allows you to leave Canada for any other country and then return to Canada within the period for which the visa is valid.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Hmm ok. Is it possible to tell what kind it is from just the stamp?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:04 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get a visa sticker in your passport from Canadian visa post or what you are talking about is the admission stamp you received at the port of entry when arriving to Canada? What is your nationality and what country's passport you hold?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question on similar lines?

Here on a 6-month visitor visa which I renewed in April 2007, and is good until October. Would I be allowed to cross into the U.S. for a few days to visit friends, and be allowed back into Canada. I'd be travelling with my wife (Canadian resident). The only sticker I got on my passport was the one they put on at check-in.

If we were to go back to the U.K. on holiday, I presume it would make sense to return as another 6-month visitor visa, or would we be able to continue as an extension of the current one.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Did you get a visa sticker in your passport from Canadian visa post or what you are talking about is the admission stamp you received at the port of entry when arriving to Canada? What is your nationality and what country's passport you hold?
The admission stamp at the port of entry.

British, British passport.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:51 pm

As Brit you don't need visa to enter Canada - what you've got in your passport is not a visa, it is an admission stamp granting you admission till date stated. If you leave Canada then of course admission is gone and you need to ask for new one when coming back to Canada. The only way you can "re-use" granted admission is when you are returning from short trips to US or St. Pierre and Miquelon within the validity of such originally granted admission. In such case, if your original admission is still valid, you will not be granted new admission - you will be re-admitted within your original admission.

Originally Posted by Phumfeinz
The admission stamp at the port of entry.

British, British passport.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:59 pm

Once you leave Canada an extension of stay is gone, you cannot re-enter Canada on such extension, even if coming back from short trip to US. This is exactly what Immigration Manual instructs officers for port of entry examination of foreign nationals re-entering Canada:

13.3. Re-entry into Canada on original visa

Foreign nationals who require a temporary resident visa and who seek to re-enter Canada must be in possession of a multiple-entry temporary resident visa unless:

• since leaving Canada after being authorized to enter as a temporary resident, they have only visited the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon, and are returning within the initial period authorized by a CBSA officer [R190(3)(f)]; or

• they have only visited the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon and they are in possession of a valid visitor record work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and are returning within the initial period authorized by a CBSA officer, [R190(3)(f)].

These foreign nationals must comply with all other entry requirements. If they visit any country other than those stated above, they are not exempt from the requirements of this provision.

If you hold UK passport then the above may be played differently and it will be up to the discretion of examining officer to re-admit you, grant new admission or refuse entry. You shouldn't have problems with admission if you already have sponsorship/PR application in process and can show proof of that.

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Quick question on similar lines?

Here on a 6-month visitor visa which I renewed in April 2007, and is good until October. Would I be allowed to cross into the U.S. for a few days to visit friends, and be allowed back into Canada. I'd be travelling with my wife (Canadian resident). The only sticker I got on my passport was the one they put on at check-in.

If we were to go back to the U.K. on holiday, I presume it would make sense to return as another 6-month visitor visa, or would we be able to continue as an extension of the current one.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 20th 2007 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help, Andrew.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:22 am
Just Joined

tourer is an unknown quantity at this point

As Brit you don't need visa to enter Canada - what you've got in your passport is not a visa, it is an admission stamp granting you admission till date stated. If you leave Canada then of course admission is gone and you need to ask for new one when coming back to Canada. The only way you can "re-use" granted admission is when you are returning from short trips to US or St. Pierre and Miquelon within the validity of such originally granted admission. In such case, if your original admission is still valid, you will not be granted new admission - you will be re-admitted within your original admission.
Now I am worried/confused. UK passport - we went to the US just before our admission stamp expired and returned after it had expired but we did not get a new stamp, the agent looked quickly through our passports and waved us through.

Where do we stand, what should we do Andrew - please advise.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:57 am

You may have a problem if you cannot prove that you came to Canada on certain day. Officer should stamp your passport and such stamp, if without additional date next to it, would indicate new 6 months admission. Now you have no evidence and someone may claim that are overstaying your original admission in Canada. I hope you at least have US entry stamp - but unfortunately such shows the date prior to the expiration of your Canadian admission, thus it won't prove when you returned to Canada.

This is what happens often to those who try to outsmart the system by going to US for day or week just to return to Canada with new 6 months admission, instead of simply applying for extension of stay in Canada. Officers don't like those who are trying to trick the system.

You should have asked for stamp or for Visitor Record and provide your explanation why you want it, prove your funds, etc.. Now you are in limbo, as you cannot prove that you returned to Canada after the expiration of your original admission.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:02 am
Just Joined

You may have a problem if you cannot prove that you came to Canada on certain day. Officer should stamp your passport and such stamp, if without additional date next to it, would indicate new 6 months admission. Now you have no evidence and someone may claim that are overstaying your original admission in Canada. I hope you at least have US entry stamp - but unfortunately such shows the date prior to the expiration of your Canadian admission, thus it won't prove when you returned to Canada.

This is what happens often to those who try to outsmart the system by going to US for day or week just to return to Canada with new 6 months admission, instead of simply applying for extension of stay in Canada. Officers don't like those who are trying to trick the system.

You should have asked for stamp or for Visitor Record and provide your explanation why you want it, prove your funds, etc.. Now you are in limbo, as you cannot prove that you returned to Canada after the expiration of your original admission.
We left Canada on the expiry date of our entry stamp and we did received a US entry stamp, but the only ‘proof’ of when we re-entered Canada is credit card receipts for meals in the US and credit card receipts for meals in Canada the following day.

This is the third time in 6 years that our passports have not been stamped on entry, the last time was March ‘06 at Pearson airport when we were again just waved through after a cursory glance at our passport – the previous entry stamp was 11 months old. No one, before reading this thread, has advised me I must have a stamp on entry – surely I shouldn’t have to tell a border agent his job should I?

Andrew, I take acceptation to your inference that I was trying to outsmart or trick the system. I checked with the CIC call center regarding either applying for an extension or leaving the country. Their response was that it may take 7 or 8 weeks to process an extension application or, alternatively, as long as we left Canada prior to expiry of a stamp and did not renter until after that expiry date we could return and start again with no problem – no mention of needing a new stamp on reentry. The second option sounded fine and would give us the opportunity to see the US side of the Falls and other parts of the US we hadn’t seen before. How can you therefore say we were trying to outsmart or cheat the system when it was the system that told us it was ok to do it that way?

You give excellent help and advice on this forum Andrew so why do you feel it necessary to add sarcastic and often hurtful comments into your advice. If you left out these unnecessary sarcastic comments your help and advice would be truly free and not subject to payment in disappointment and sadness.

I guess the only option we have now is to return to the UK and miss the birth of out grandson – thanks Canada.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:19 pm

I didn't try to offend you in any way and if you feel that I did then I apologize.

But your post seems to me to imply (correct me if my assumption is wrong) that you are living in Canada for quite some time now, leaving every six months for short time and re-entering to gain another 6 months admission. Forgive me but it is exactly what I call trying to outsmart the system, if not an outright abuse, as you are not just visiting Canada, you live here and thus you do not follow the rules of a visitor. One beautiful day instead of being waived you will be stopped and refused entry, or just given few days admission, long enough to allow you to pack your stuff and depart Canada. Many reported already in this forum (including many Americans) that this is exactly what happened to them under similar to yours circumstances.

Again - you don't have record of admission to Canada on the day you claim and if you will try to apply for extension of stay you will find out what it means.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your response to my last post.

No we don’t live in Canada as such but need to define ‘live’ as when we visit we do ‘live’ in the basement apartment. We have an apartment in Spain but are only there maybe 2 or 3 months a year Aug-Oct we spend the rest of our time between our children (2 families in the UK and 1 in Canada) and on holiday (3-4 weeks here and there mainly traveling round).

We visit Canada 2 maybe 3 times a year, sometimes twice within the same entry stamp – when we do that our passports are just scanned (I think). This year we came over for a visit and found out we were expecting at our fifth grandchild being born early Aug so we decided to stay and earlier in the year drove over to BC to have a look around – given how long we intended to stay we bought a car and had to change my licence. Time just flew by and before we realised we were at the point of running out of our stamp thus our decision to visit the US – with hindsight we should have gone for the extension but the trip seemed an easier option.

Having thought about six months in Canada then a short trip to US and return to Canada - I’m still not sure this should be considered as living and not visiting even in an ongoing basis – I am sure I read somewhere that countries other than UK can have a multiple entry visa, so is it not a bit racially prejudice not to allow UK similar facility ie any number of visits without in/out time constraint and without raising issues about living?

Anyway I do take your point that we are in limbo so we will be very shortly returning to the UK and try to get back to visit our grandson just as soon as we can.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Thatslife is an unknown quantity at this point

Could anyone let me know, if you enter canada for up to 6 months, can u leave for a day and re enter the country for another 6 months and so on and so fourth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.