Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Possible options to stay in Canada...?

Possible options to stay in Canada...?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

roguetide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible options to stay in Canada...?

Hi guys,

I've been working in Alberta for the last year, but I'm coming close to the end of my permit. My current job (IT Helpdesk/support work) is coming to an end of contract too, however I'd like to try and stay in Canada if possible...

LMO - I've heard a little bit about this; The employer can request that you stay in Canada in a specialized position, but I doubt that I'll be able to get such a job, since I'm not specialized in much.

I've also thought about going home and studying to get better qualified then apply for work or perm. residence here - is it easy to do?

What are the other options for sticking around, if any?

TIA.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible options to stay in Canada...?

How many points do you currently qualify for, taking your canadian experience / adaptability into account?

If you cant land a job that would qualify you, arent independently wealthy, and dont plan on marrying a canadian I dont see what other options you have.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

How have you been working in Canada? Bunac?

Have you checked out the Low Skills Pilot Project? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/low-skill.asp
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

roguetide is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for getting back to me guys,

I currently have 48 points, nowhere near! I've been thinking about training in a few tradeskills either her or back home. Would it be easy to just get a study permit and get into a job that way? I believe I read somewhere that if you study and are expected to get right into a job in that field of work, you get residency...I think.

As for the Low Skill Pilot Project, my contract with the company I'm with ends completely, which will mean I won't be able to get the LMO from them. I doubt that I'd be able to get any sort of skill work and arrange for an LMO with another company in that time.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by roguetide
I currently have 48 points, nowhere near! I've been thinking about training in a few tradeskills either her or back home. Would it be easy to just get a study permit and get into a job that way? I believe I read somewhere that if you study and are expected to get right into a job in that field of work, you get residency...I think.
I am not sure how this works, but you may have two options. According to CIC website, if “you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student” http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

1) If you have been working in Canada for 1 year, would that allow you to apply for PR?
2) If the above doesn’t, can you study (on a course of at least 1 year) and the apply for PR?

Also, looks at Alberta's PNP program, you may have options there http://www.alberta-canada.com/immigration/.

Ray
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raymasa
I am not sure how this works, but you may have two options. According to CIC website, if “you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student” http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

1) If you have been working in Canada for 1 year, would that allow you to apply for PR?
2) If the above doesn’t, can you study (on a course of at least 1 year) and the apply for PR?
That's still a Skilled Worker visa though (category 3), so the OP would still need at least 67 points or more to qualify.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's still a Skilled Worker visa though (category 3), so the OP would still need at least 67 points or more to qualify.
Opps, missed the lack of point. Thanks for correcting that.....

Ray