Possible move to Canada

Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Possible move to Canada

Hey guys,

Once my stint in the US comes to an end (in another 2-4 years time) I don't really want to go back to the UK, so I have been thinking about Canada as another option.

Immigrating as a skilled worker would probably fit my circumstances and I just got a score of 72 on the on-line assessment.

So - if any of you guys could give me a quick overview of the steps required for this with associated costs as well as an idea of the timescale, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help guys...

Edit:

Forgot to add, if it makes any difference, I am a Brit with a British Wife and a US born son...

Last edited by dh010447; Nov 7th 2008 at 9:39 am. Reason: More info
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:20 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Canada

Hi, dh010447, and welcome to the Canada forum.

The points test is useless. It would be nice if there was a magic button that could delete all references to the points test from the Internet.

As things stand now, you need to have pre-arranged employment in Canada, or else you need to be in an occupation that will appear on a yet-to-be-published list of occupations in extreme demand.

Suggest you read:
The permanent residence application via the skilled worker route will cost your family C$1,250 ($550 per adult plus $150 for a child).

Before or when you enter Canada to activate your permanent resident status, you will need to pay a right of permanent residence fee of C$980 ($490 for each of you and your wife, $0 for your child).

So, technically, that's C$2,230. But there will be costs associated with job hunting, doing recce trips to Canada, and the eventual move. Even the application itself involves other costs (photos, couriers, etc.).

Hope that helps.
x
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Possible move to Canada

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hi, dh010447, and welcome to the Canada forum.

The points test is useless. It would be nice if there was a magic button that could delete all references to the points test from the Internet.

As things stand now, you need to have pre-arranged employment in Canada, or else you need to be in an occupation that will appear on a yet-to-be-published list of occupations in extreme demand.

Suggest you read:
The permanent residence application via the skilled worker route will cost your family C$1,250 ($550 per adult plus $150 for a child).

Before or when you enter Canada to activate your permanent resident status, you will need to pay a right of permanent residence fee of C$980 ($490 for each of you and your wife, $0 for your child).

So, technically, that's C$2,230. But there will be costs associated with job hunting, doing recce trips to Canada, and the eventual move. Even the application itself involves other costs (photos, couriers, etc.).

Hope that helps.
x
Wow - thanks for that. I did have a look at CIC's website, but I couldn't see any indication on there that they were making people have pre-arranged employment... I guess its a revenue generation tool for them - make people think they can come here, make them pay for the application and then tell them they cant have it.

Entering as a skilled worker would have been good as employers arnt going to go to the trouble of organising this kinda thing. But if this is not an option, then I guess its back to the drawing board. I'll keep my eyes open for 'the list' but I doubt that Software Testers are going to feature in it.

Looking at it from the other side of the fence, I can understand why they would start doing this, especially with the current economic climate. I guess they would prefer their jobs go to their own people before going to foreigners.

Anyway - thanks for the info... Very useful...

Next stop the Australia forum... I'm determined to stay out of the UK, but still remain in an English speaking country (I tried living in a non-English speaking country, and its hard work!)