Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to 'land' and then come back? - experts please

Wikiposts

Is it possible to 'land' and then come back? - experts please

Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is it possible to 'land' and then come back? - experts please

Hi all,

Searching this forum I saw a couple of comments about 'doing a quick landing' etc and coming back to sell houses/whatever.

Can anyone tell me if this is genuinely OK with the authorities. I know you have a year from your meds to having to take up your PR, but are there any rules about residency - within what time would the PR lapse again if you weren't living in Canada. It's a hypothetical point at this stage, but if due to career/house selling etc, we weren't 'ready' to go when our visas came through (but still intended to do so..) it would be good to know we could 'land' - have a research trip/holiday etc and then go back, with a view to moving over properly later on.

What is the official line on this please?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to 'land' and then come back? - experts please

HI

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Hi all,

Searching this forum I saw a couple of comments about 'doing a quick landing' etc and coming back to sell houses/whatever.

Can anyone tell me if this is genuinely OK with the authorities. I know you have a year from your meds to having to take up your PR, but are there any rules about residency - within what time would the PR lapse again if you weren't living in Canada. It's a hypothetical point at this stage, but if due to career/house selling etc, we weren't 'ready' to go when our visas came through (but still intended to do so..) it would be good to know we could 'land' - have a research trip/holiday etc and then go back, with a view to moving over properly later on.

What is the official line on this please?
You can "land" and return, but you have to remain in Canada for 2 of every 5 year period to maintain your PR status.

PMM
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As PMM says, you have to be in Canada for 2 years out of any rolling 5 year period to keep your hard won PR status, so no problem coming just to land before the visa expires and then returning at a later point, but as far as I know the only time you can present your "goods to folllow" list (that means you dont have to pay import duty on your own stuff) is when you initially land, so you would have to be organised enough at that point to know what you were planing to import with you when you do eventually come for good.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 28th 2005 at 1:59 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Goods to Folllow has to be done on first landing. As I found out when visas arrived and hurried off to Canada same day...doing Goods list on way (all 36 pages of it) to be told "well done" by customs for having it ready (as they actually have seen people land without it only to sit there for three or four hours filling out a form they had not thought of completing BEFORE they arrived!)