Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to land but still work in UK?

Wikiposts

Is it possible to land but still work in UK?

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:23 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Is it possible to land but still work in UK?

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but sometimes they need to be asked (lol!). Hubby is currently in the armed forces and has another 5 years to do, but we are definitely wanting to go to Canada.

The problem is that if we applied for our skilled worker visa, which I know is taking about 42 months at the mo, we are worried that it will come too early, before he is due to leave forces.

We were wondering if we could land in Canada, but then he returns to see out his time in UK, which hopefully wouldn't be too long. I have read something about spending 2 years out of 5 in Canada to keep your visa, does this apply if you work in another country?

The flip side of the coin is that if we wait longer to apply for our visa, then we will be sitting in UK with hubby not having a job after leaving forces.

Questions, questions and problems. Sorry if it all sounds like gobbledegook.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks, Karen
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:31 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to land but still work in UK?

Originally Posted by kazbob

We were wondering if we could land in Canada, but then he returns to see out his time in UK, which hopefully wouldn't be too long. I have read something about spending 2 years out of 5 in Canada to keep your visa, does this apply if you work in another country?
There is nothing to stop you doing that. So in effect if (and thats a big IF) it came through fast, he could still do three years in the army before taking up residence and you would still meet the 2 out of 5 rule.

I dont know how CIC would assess an application where it was apparent that residence in Canada would not be taken up immediately, but the boomerang landing thing happens all the time, so I cant see it being a problem.

The only danger really is that the residency requirement rules might change on a political whim in the mean time, although there is nothing to suggest that that might happen.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

boredinblighty is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Is it possible to land but still work in UK?

about 42 months at the mo, we are worried that it will come too early, before he is due to leave forces.

crumbs you're the only person I have seen that is worried that the visa will come too early
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:57 am
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but sometimes they need to be asked (lol!). Hubby is currently in the armed forces and has another 5 years to do, but we are definitely wanting to go to Canada.

The problem is that if we applied for our skilled worker visa, which I know is taking about 42 months at the mo, we are worried that it will come too early, before he is due to leave forces.

The flip side of the coin is that if we wait longer to apply for our visa, then we will be sitting in UK with hubby not having a job after leaving forces.

Questions, questions and problems. Sorry if it all sounds like gobbledegook.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks, Karen
Hi Karen,

My hubby is in the Armed Forces too and we started the application process when he had 3 years left to do, now wishing we had done it sooner as he has done his 22yrs in May 07 and we may not have the visa by then.

Hope this helps

Suzyanne
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Suzyanne
Hi Karen,

My hubby is in the Armed Forces too and we started the application process when he had 3 years left to do, now wishing we had done it sooner as he has done his 22yrs in May 07 and we may not have the visa by then.

Hope this helps

Suzyanne
I'm in the RN and applied as a skilled worker 20 months ago and am literally "in the same boat". Mind you, i've got a 10 year extension but my original 22 is up in January. We are planning on doing the boomerang thing until our 14 year old is thru her GCSE's
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:12 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is it possible to land but still work in UK?

Originally Posted by dexdaw
I'm in the RN and applied as a skilled worker 20 months ago and am literally "in the same boat". Mind you, i've got a 10 year extension but my original 22 is up in January. We are planning on doing the boomerang thing until our 14 year old is thru her GCSE's
Thanks ever so much for your replies. I didn't think we would be able to do it, as I thought that once you 'landed' as such and became a resident, then working outside of Canada for another country would be out of the question, obviously not, that is really good news.

Time to apply, me thinks!

Thanks again - Karen