Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

possible help from distant relatives.

Wikiposts

possible help from distant relatives.

Old Oct 10th 2004, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Arrow Visa Advice

Ok, I have changed the title of this so as not to flood the board and keep everything in one place.

I just wanted to check that I am applying for the best Visa for myself.

I am going to study in Canada in Jan 2005, and have been accepted, have accommodation etc. I have assumed that student Visa was the best option, and will be going to Canadian Immigration in London UK tomorrow to hand all my forms in and payment etc.

With a student visa, fees cost twice as much, which I can afford, but I was wondering if there was any route in which I could apply for a permanent resident Visa to cut down on costs, I dont know how these visas work as I have mostly concentrated on Student Visas. I dont have any special skills or degrees, just A-levels, hence why I am going to university and am 20 years old. Is there a better approach to take, be it now or later on down the road, to reduce tuition costs and/or become a permanent resident after I have completed my degree, or whilst at University?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Brodel; Oct 11th 2004 at 3:44 am.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:25 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: possible help from distant relatives.

Originally Posted by Brodel
I'm pretty sure that this wont be possible because most things relate to the person being your Grandparent at most, but figured this was a good place to just make sure.
I have distant relatives that live in Thunder Bay, they are my Grandmas Cousins, so would by my Great Great Aunt etc.
I am hoping to go and study in Regina SK and was wondering if there is any help I would be able to get being related to them, be it with regards to Visas or otherwise?
There is no real way that your distant relatives can assist with your visa application.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
There is no real way that your distant relatives can assist with your visa application.
Ok, I thought that was the case, just wanted clearing up. Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Bump for change of post.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Default Visa

does anyone have any advice, will it be easier for me to get permanent residency if i choose to try that route, seeing as i will have done 4 years of university there? or are there any answers to my original post. I went to immigration this morning in London UK and handed in my application for a student visa.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:51 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa

With just A Levels (which are only equivalent of secondary education) you won't be able to gather enough points to qualify for immigration in Skilled Workers class. Check for yourself here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html

Your best bet to immigrate is to gain a degree first and of course have required skilled work experience. Obtaining degree in Canada will give you extra points if it is at least 2 years of education here.

If your intentions are not to immigrate to Canada and only to find cheaper way to study here then sorry, it won't work.

Originally Posted by Brodel
does anyone have any advice, will it be easier for me to get permanent residency if i choose to try that route, seeing as i will have done 4 years of university there? or are there any answers to my original post. I went to immigration this morning in London UK and handed in my application for a student visa.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Visa

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
With just A Levels (which are only equivalent of secondary education) you won't be able to gather enough points to qualify for immigration in Skilled Workers class. Check for yourself here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html

Your best bet to immigrate is to gain a degree first and of course have required skilled work experience. Obtaining degree in Canada will give you extra points if it is at least 2 years of education here.

If your intentions are not to immigrate to Canada and only to find cheaper way to study here then sorry, it won't work.
ok thanks, yea i didnt think a-levels was enough, I was thinking more long term plans incase i feel its somewhere i want to end up living permanently you know? the two year education isnt a problem as i intend to do my full degree so it would be 4 years.

thanks for the help
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

wow, my letter of approval to hand in at customs for my permit arrived today, that only took 3 days.