Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to get a new PR card again?

Is it possible to get a new PR card again?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:37 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to get a new PR card again?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Andrew
I don't dispute the law but I do wonder how it could be the case that "a few hundred" permanent residents could be thrown out of Canada every year for solely this reason without more notice being taken of it in the media.

Don't forget you're usually talking about people who will be settled in Canada, will have Canadian jobs, Canadian children and maybe Canadian spouses. I very much doubt it would happen so quietly.

Even more so if you are talking about removing someone's Canadian citizenship for something that may be quite subjective (ie, we're not talking about Nazi war criminals or murderers here but potentially a conversation with an immigration officer long ago). Perhaps this doesn't bother Canadians but in Australia it would be a huge deal.

I'm not trying to say it can't happen or doesn't happen here or there, but I have difficulty accepting the numbers you quote in the absence of any "noise" on the subject.
It's amazing what one Google search will bring up.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourview/2007..._citizens.html

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Sep 3rd 2007 at 1:40 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
It's amazing what one Google search will bring up.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourview/2007..._citizens.html
It you take the time to read what that article is talking about, it is nothing to do with the issue under discussion on this thread.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:57 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It has all to do with one of matters discussed in this thread. You claimed not seeing anywhere that several hundreds per year have their Canadian citizenship revoked - now you see....

Please note that this section of article:

They include the wives and children of Canadian soldiers who were born abroad, anyone born abroad whose parents failed to sign a Registration of Birth Abroad form, people considered to have been born out of wedlock to a non-Canadian mother and people who fall into several other categories.

may be misinterpreted by many as most of people who's citizenship was revoked for above reasons could have it revoked only starting from 2005, as it applies to those born after February 15, 1977, who failed to retain citizenship before their 28th birthday.

Article states that "In total, there were 3,962 cases of people who lost their citizenship between 1998 and 2004, an average of 566 people a year." These 3,962 (566 per year) didn't have their citizenship revoked on the above basis as the reported in article obtained data period ended in 2004.

CIC claims (as per article) that they don't have data for 2005 and 2006 - and these are years when the first revokations of citizenship based on the above could even happen.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 3rd 2007 at 3:02 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Article states that "In total, there were 3,962 cases of people who lost their citizenship between 1998 and 2004, an average of 566 people a year." These 3,962 (566 per year) didn't have their citizenship revoked on the above basis as the reported in obtained data period ended in 2004.
Looking at the context, it's unclear as to whether this constitutes revocation of citizenship, or simply a determination of automatic loss (under the 1947-77 legislation) or a determination that the person was never a Canadian citizen in the first place.

Considering that successive Canadian governments haven't acted to protect around 100,000 Canadians from the effects of the 1946 legislation, this appears hardly surprising.

Your earlier comment about hundreds of PR/Citizens being thrown out of Canada for "immigration fraud" still begs the question where are the media stories? Where are the court cases and CIC statistics? Where's the "noise"?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:12 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said earlier - media were only interested and reported when they were tipped off by CIC or someone in troubles. And it is impossible now to find online archives of articles that old (I was taking about 1999) - I have no time to spend hours in library just to find old articles to show you Jeremy, sorry.

Try to find CIC 1999 report to the Parliament (as Parliament keeps most archives online) and you'll see the similar numbers there.

As you can see following media now - there is not much noise about "lost Canadians" either. An article or two every few months, mostly by misinformed and not up to date reporters. Nothing what could be called even a "noise" at the time when matter deserves screams, not just noise. Media are simply not interested.

Discussed article is not so clear because as most of similar articles it is written by someone who is not an expert in Canadian citizenship and immigration matters (not even at the level of average participant in this forum) and who due to lack of expertise doesn't know what questions to ask and what important facts should be followed and what is not important.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 3rd 2007 at 3:25 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:03 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It you take the time to read what that article is talking about, it is nothing to do with the issue under discussion on this thread.
Are you naturally abrasive or is it an acquired skill?
Oh and I did read it and agree with Andrew Miller, there is some relevance to the topic of discussion. Although I am at a loss to understand why so much energy is being expended on this, what is the point?

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Sep 3rd 2007 at 7:08 am.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:15 am
Just Joined

kev2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to add my sad story, so that it will help other's with the dilema.

I landed in Canada in Jan 2002.
Stayed and Worked there for around 14 months.
Applied for wife's PR in June 2002, and it got stuck in administrative delays as they had revamped immigration laws that time. They never gave an estimate when it would be approved. Normally it would have taken 3 months, but it took 11 months and by then I decided to temporarily go to US on a work visa, where I could get her on a dependent visa.
So then left Candaa around mid 2003 planning to come back later. Co-incidentaly her PR came just about the time when I had already planned to leave Canada.
So came back after 6 months in Jan 2004 with her. Both of us did not get a job after searching for 2 months, so left again, after staying here for a total of 3 months....breaking apartment lease and paying all kinds of penalties from our savings.

Then finally came back in Jun 2006 after finalizing a job before even reaching Canada and have been staying in Canada since. Both of us have jobs now.

As I landed in Jan 2002, they did not have PR cards, then. It came only in June 2002. So I had applied for it and got it effective from Dec 2002 and it was going to expire in Dec 2007.
I recently applied to renew it and was short of a little less than 2 months of the required 2 years of stay in 5 years.
I had called CIC call center to check if I could stay here with my expired PR card, since I would have easily meet the required 2 years of stay in July 2008 as I have been here since June 2006. They said I could stay and since the renewal form clearly asks for abscences in the last 5 years from WHEN YOU APPLY for renewal, I thought it would be fine.
But the thought of living with a expired PR card for roughly 8 months and not knowing, when I may have to leave for emergency travel outside Canada, and not wishing to apply for a travel document, I applied for renewal.

I told the truth and sent a letter along with my application in July 2007 and gave all details on the hardships my family (wife and a 2 year old son) would face if they did not renew my PR status. I showed that in the 5 years timeline how I was here in the early part of the 5 years, then attempted to come in the middle and then how I finally got a job and came back.

But for all this, I AM PAYING A BIG PRICE NOW and it has shaken my belief in two things.

Should you tell the truth always, when you can get by, by twisting the facts and backing it up.
Should you be meticulous and plan things ahead of time.

After CIC Sydney, Nova Scotia office sat on my application for 2 months(there entire estimated time projected on CIC site for renewing PR cards, including time for local office to contact you was 5o to 60 days), they transferred my application to the local CIC office in Toronto area.
The CIC call center then has no idea of a new estimate and just gave me the local office's fax number and postal address.
I faxed them for a new estimate, no reply.
So I finally visited them and am told that they received my file in Sep 2007 and that there is currently a backlog of 18 months to look at such cases !!

18 months is just ridiculous and ruins my life. If I had know of such a backlog, I would have waited to accumlate my 2 years again and applied in July 2008, instead of now waiting till March 2009 (waiting on a seat full of pins, nervously) just to find out what they will do with my case. And of-course if I travel during this time, go through the hassles of applying for a travel document.

I searched high and low on other forums checking to see if anyone who did not meet residency obligations, had applied for renewal and what happened or had they waited to accumlate a new 2 years. I guess people are fearfull of revealing the facts, so I did not get any replies.

Some told me about this forum today, so I dropped in to see and voila, found this post.

So to help others, I have posted my story...moral is don't apply to renewa thinking you have a good chance of being renewed under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds, because they take too long just to look at such cases. Just wait till you accumlate your 2 years and then apply.
The local CIC office guy at the counter did not seem to think so. He was saying they look at your stay in 5 years of your PR cards validity. I don't interpret that way when I read the application form.

Want to know what other folks here understood from reading the form.

Originally Posted by pop
After landing, a person ever did not reside in the Canada for 730 days within five years before. His PR card has already expired. However, he is now residing in the Canada and will meet the residency obligation soon. He wonders whether it is possible for him to get a new PR card again at the time of his residency having accumulated 730 days. Have you seen the similar case?