Positive LMO - Next step?

Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Rathers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Positive LMO - Next step?

Hi,

My company has recently applied for and got a positive LMO for my job in Nova Scotia. I have been working in Halifax for about 4 months on a IEC visa.

So now I have a positive LMO I am just wondering what is the best way to apply for a work permit?

My work have recommended using this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_appl...ply_online.asp

I was just wondering if there is a paper version I could complete and send to be processed in Canada rather than using the UK London office?

Thank you for any help.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive LMO - Next step?

Why not just whizz to the border and get your TWP there? Unless you need a medical of course.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks. Ive been wondering if I could do that but seems kind of too easy. Also dont really want to take 2 days off work to go to the border and return/find out I have to do more paperwork.

Is there a way to do this in Halifax?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rathers
Thanks. Ive been wondering if I could do that but seems kind of too easy. Also dont really want to take 2 days off work to go to the border and return/find out I have to do more paperwork.

No, you either have to apply via a visa office (approx 10 weeks processing time), or at the border. See the Wiki article entitled 'TWP Where to Apply' for more info on the available options to you.

HTH.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nearest crossing for flagpoling is approx 6 hours drive to St Stephen NB.
All you need is the LMO and $150 plus a copy of your contract thats how easy it is. Dont you get any days off work?
Applying through a CIC office will take longer and no you cant do it in Halifax unless you make an appointment with the CIC office.
Halifax

1741 Brunswick Street, Suite B110
Halifax, NS
B3J 3X8
In-person help by appointment only. Once your application has been received, CIC will contact you to schedule an appointment if deemed necessary by the processing office.

For refugee claims, please contact the Call Centre for an appointment.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Applying through a CIC office will take longer and no you cant do it in Halifax unless you make an appointment with the CIC office.
The OP can't do it at all, it's not possible to get TWP's at a CIC office, only to 'land' as PR's.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The OP can't do it at all, it's not possible to get TWP's at a CIC office, only to 'land' as PR's.
In most cases they wont but they have been known to relent when enough pressure is given though they dont advertise this fact. I guess if he doesnt want to flagpole then CPC Vegreville it is then.
CPC Vegreville
Work Permit
6212-55th Avenue – Unit 555
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Thank you both very much. Helpful as always. I get days off I was just wondering if I could do it from Canada. Thanks for all the info. By the sounds of it flying to Boston for a day or 2 is probably going to be the easiest way. I keep forgetting that Maine is so close.

My work seems to think that applying online will take only 4 weeks and is the way to go. Im not entirely convinced.

Also thank you for the Wiki article. I was not aware there was one.

Thank you very much.

Andrew
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:02 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you both very much. Helpful as always. I get days off I was just wondering if I could do it from Canada. Thanks for all the info. By the sounds of it flying to Boston for a day or 2 is probably going to be the easiest way. I keep forgetting that Maine is so close.

My work seems to think that applying online will take only 4 weeks and is the way to go. Im not entirely convinced.

Also thank you for the Wiki article. I was not aware there was one.

Thank you very much.

Andrew
I wouldn't be convinced either, since the posted time for work permits is 56 days for those submitted on line. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp