Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Police Reprimand When I was 16 - Can anyone help ?

Police Reprimand When I was 16 - Can anyone help ?

Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:08 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Reprimand When I was 16 - Can anyone help ?

But the OP was a minor when he received the reprimand. He did not receive a caution and was not convicted.

As previously stated in this thread, he would be treated as a juvenile and would not be inadmissible.

Reprimands and cautions remain on police records however, they are deemed spent at the time of issuance:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q562.htm

According to CIC's website, the reprimand is not a reason to be deemed inadmissible:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/5312ETOC.asp

Were you convicted as a juvenile?

In Canada, a young offender is someone who is 12 years of age or older but less than 18 years of age.

You are not inadmissible if:

you were convicted in Canada under the Young Offenders Act or the Youth Criminal Justice Act, unless you received an adult sentence,

you were treated as a young offender in a country which has special provisions for young offenders, or

you were convicted in a country which does not have special provisions for young offenders but the circumstances of your conviction are such that you would not have received an adult sentence in Canada

I would suggest ticking the box on the form as 'yes' and giving an explanation, together with quoting the relevant sections that show your reprimand is deemed spent and that you are not, nor have ever been, inadmissible to Canada.

Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think that's the problem, there is room for interpretation of the rules.

Others have had that letter too and it's been posted on the forum before, but then others have been told they must have criminal rehab to enter Canada. Shame CIC can't be consistent!

If I were the OP, I'd definitely tick yes on the application and then keep fingers crossed he gets somebody that interprets things his way that reviews his application.
Yes it is a shame they can't be consistent. I expected my application to be worded in a way that after review I did not need to apply for rehab but it actually said it was a successful application for rehab. Which is strange because I didnt pay any fee. Maybe I was lucky and dotted all the I's and crossed the t's

Or maybe the VO was in a good mood and wanted a clear desk before christmas
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

I am in a similar position to the op.
At around 15/16 I was searched by the police and I admitted I was carrying an offensive weapon ( a lead fishing weight attached to a piece of string). The police officer let me off on the spot with a caution and said nothing else will happen. However a month or so went by and I received a summons to the sherrif court ( from the procurate fiscal, this happened in Scotland.)
The judge said as it was my first offence I would be admonished. ( basically found guilty but no custodial sentence or fine)
This happened over 17 years ago, I have just sent off today my police check and admitted on the application what happened.
I have a job offer and am awaiting my LMO approval, when this is approved I will be applying for a TWP.
I have been to Canada 3 times since as a visitor with no problems.
Will I be ok as the offence was while I was a juvenile and well over 10 years ago?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004
I am in a similar position to the op.
At around 15/16 I was searched by the police and I admitted I was carrying an offensive weapon ( a lead fishing weight attached to a piece of string). The police officer let me off on the spot with a caution and said nothing else will happen. However a month or so went by and I received a summons to the sherrif court ( from the procurate fiscal, this happened in Scotland.)
The judge said as it was my first offence I would be admonished. ( basically found guilty but no custodial sentence or fine)
This happened over 17 years ago, I have just sent off today my police check and admitted on the application what happened.
I have a job offer and am awaiting my LMO approval, when this is approved I will be applying for a TWP.
I have been to Canada 3 times since as a visitor with no problems.
Will I be ok as the offence was while I was a juvenile and well over 10 years ago?

Based on my experience I would imgine you were be ok so long as you have disclosed all the relevant information. I didn't want to chance being asked for more information at the application stage which is why I opted to apply for criminal rehab for information only whilst waiting for my sponsors application to be processed at Mississauga.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Originally Posted by yzf.shaun
Based on my experience I would imgine you were be ok so long as you have disclosed all the relevant information. I didn't want to chance being asked for more information at the application stage which is why I opted to apply for criminal rehab for information only whilst waiting for my sponsors application to be processed at Mississauga.
I think I would find it difficult to apply for rehab as I have no documentation for the offence.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the info you have supplied and only having the 1 offence you should be ok so dont worry too much. Have you submitted a criminal record check to CIC and if so where there any recorded convictions on it?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

I've just submitted my application for a police check today, so I'll get that back in around 3 weeks and see what's written on it. The guide for TWP doesn't say anything about submitting a police check but I thought I'd send it to be sure. (I'm applying in uk to the CHC not at POE just to make sure I don't get rejected and sent back to uk)
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

True for applying for a TWP you dont need to submit a criminal record check but people get caught up in the background information section in particular the question about arrested, charged or convicted. If they tick yes then more info is needed. If they tick No and a criminal record check is found to contain convictions then they have lied and can be refused.

Yes its a pain but honesty wins out in the end and in about 3 to 4 weeks you will know how to proceed.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Police Reprimand When I was 16 - Can anyone help ?

Many thanks former lancastrian
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just posted this on your other thread........http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

You mention a Canadian girlfriend, so does that mean you've entered Canada as a visitor previously? If so, what was the answer when you looked to see if you were criminally inadmissible for any previous visits?
I doubt that anyone just visiting Canada is going to take it upon themselves to determine if they are "criminally inadmissable".
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

I got a caution for the damage to property around 9 years ago, I had to send a detailed account what happened and I got my pr visa
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:22 am
Just Joined

kieron011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hutchy100
I got a caution for the damage to property around 9 years ago, I had to send a detailed account what happened and I got my pr visa
i think this was the answer and few people were waiting for. Thanks fellow Hutchings/Hutchinson
Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchy100
Ah, I am in a similar situation. Received a police caution in 2001 for criminal damage (ex-boyfriend having an affair, wrath of a woman scorned and all that) so police certificate has come back No Live Trace. I provided details on my original PR application but do have a niggling worry that I will be declined based on the "No Live Trace"....
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hermione
Ah, I am in a similar situation. Received a police caution in 2001 for criminal damage (ex-boyfriend having an affair, wrath of a woman scorned and all that) so police certificate has come back No Live Trace. I provided details on my original PR application but do have a niggling worry that I will be declined based on the "No Live Trace"....
Im tending to think the No Live Trace works in your favour i.e no convictions
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im tending to think the No Live Trace works in your favour i.e no convictions
It would say 'No Trace' if there wasn't any convictions. AFAIK 'No Live Trace' means the conviction is deemed spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.