British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Police report/Court record help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/police-report-court-record-help-921935/)

Liam5lv Feb 10th 2019 3:48 pm

Police report/Court record help

I am currently applying for a Canadian working holiday Visa, i have applied for my police certificates for the UK and New Zealand (Which i previously spent a year). One of the supporting documents i need to upload is a Court record/Police report which details the crime i was involved in, how i was involved and also the outcome, does anybody know where i can get such a document as google hasnt been much help? TIA.

Former Lancastrian Feb 10th 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Police report/Court record help

You would have to contact the court/police where the offence was committed/heard. Was it a conviction?

Liam5lv Feb 10th 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12635134)
You would have to contact the court/police where the offence was committed/heard. Was it a conviction?

It was a conviction from 2015

Former Lancastrian Feb 10th 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Liam5lv (Post 12635139)
It was a conviction from 2015

Then depending on what the conviction was for and any sentence imposed you could be found inadmissible and therefore not eligible for the WHV. What was the conviction for and sentence?

Liam5lv Feb 10th 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12635178)
Then depending on what the conviction was for and any sentence imposed you could be found inadmissible and therefore not eligible for the WHV. What was the conviction for and sentence?

The conviction was for ABH and possession of an offensive weapon, there were some mitigating circumstances but i know they see the conviction in black and white. I realise theres a good chance i will get turned down but i can only try. NZ immigration let me in even after i explained all this to them so i suppose there is a small amount of hope. The sentance was a fine and a months curfew, no prison time although i know that guarantees nothing. Thanks for the advice btw

Former Lancastrian Feb 10th 2019 9:50 pm

Possession Offences

Marginal note:Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose
  • 88 (1) Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence.
  • Marginal note:Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)
    • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or
      In this case its a serious criminal offence and you would never be deemed rehabilitated as the term mentions ten years imprsionment even if no prison sentence given.

Assault with a weapon or causing bodily harm

267 Every one who, in committing an assault,
  • (a) carries, uses or threatens to use a weapon or an imitation thereof, or
  • (b) causes bodily harm to the complainant,
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years or an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

Again considered a serious offence and mentions 10 years imprisonment so no deemed rehabilitation.

Without seeing the literal charge and details of the offence the only hope you have is that it was dropped down to just assault which only mentions a 5 yr term of imprisonment under section 266

Assault

266 Every one who commits an assault is guilty of
  • (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
  • (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
You would have to wait until 5 years from the date any sentence imposed was completed in full before you can apply for individual rehabilitation.