Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

police clearance for stay in the US -> getting it from india

police clearance for stay in the US -> getting it from india

Old Jul 21st 2004, 5:26 am
Just Joined

chico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default police clearance for stay in the US -> getting it from india

I have tried searching if there was a similar topic posted somewhere, but I didnt find one.

I am originally from India and I was in the US for the last 5 years, but right now I am back in India. Like a naiive fool, I forgot to get my police clearance certificate for all those years in the US before I left.

And now I realise that I must somehow apply to the FBI with my fingerprints and request them to send my certificate to me. The information shown on different sites for immigration (like Canada, Australia, etc) differs in their versions.

So I would like to ask if someone has had to go through the very same thing or knows how I could go about this. I am going to get my fingerprints from the passport office here, but I would like to know the correct address for the FBI and the amount of money(in USD) that I must send.

Is it possible to send a US address to the FBI so that they can send my record (certificate) there? I am afraid that the indian post is not the most reliable , and I dont want that certificate to get lost or torn or etc (specially since it is the rainy season right now : )

I plan on applying for studying to Canada, Australia , and/or UK. Do I need to get multiple original PCC's ? If so, how would I do that? Or is it ok to attach certified photocopies on the visa applications?

Lots of questions there....I really appreciate your taking the time to read this.

cheers!
vj
Old Jul 21st 2004, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

SamJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: police clearance for stay in the US -> getting it from india

If you don't get expert advise, I would suggest that you contact the US embassy.

Hope this helps
Sam
Old Jul 21st 2004, 6:32 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chico

Originally posted by chico
I have tried searching if there was a similar topic posted somewhere, but I didnt find one.

I am originally from India and I was in the US for the last 5 years, but right now I am back in India. Like a naiive fool, I forgot to get my police clearance certificate for all those years in the US before I left.

And now I realise that I must somehow apply to the FBI with my fingerprints and request them to send my certificate to me. The information shown on different sites for immigration (like Canada, Australia, etc) differs in their versions.

So I would like to ask if someone has had to go through the very same thing or knows how I could go about this. I am going to get my fingerprints from the passport office here, but I would like to know the correct address for the FBI and the amount of money(in USD) that I must send.

Is it possible to send a US address to the FBI so that they can send my record (certificate) there? I am afraid that the indian post is not the most reliable , and I dont want that certificate to get lost or torn or etc (specially since it is the rainy season right now : )

I plan on applying for studying to Canada, Australia , and/or UK. Do I need to get multiple original PCC's ? If so, how would I do that? Or is it ok to attach certified photocopies on the visa applications?

Lots of questions there....I really appreciate your taking the time to read this.

cheers!
vj
See: http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/...did=398#how_us

for instructions on how to obtain fingerprint card and the clearance from the FBI. Its up to you whether you have them sent to US address or not.

Check with Australia and UK to find out what clearances you need.

PMM
Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Mr.Bedi is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers!
vj
You can download the finger print forms from the FBI Website and you can get your finger prints done in the local police station and then just send them to FBI with a check of 18 dollars.

FBI does mail finger print results to foreign addresses
Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Mr.Bedi is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers!
vj
fbi.gov should have all the information you will need
Old Jul 21st 2004, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough

Contact the US emabssy in India. They will charge you more but they can give you the card and send it to US for clearance.

MadHatters
Old Jul 21st 2004, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Xylene is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers!
vj
read the following and also there was another post in this NG about fbi from india. search since June 2004.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1
Old Jul 21st 2004, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

chico is an unknown quantity at this point

This is great....all of you are very helpful and kind to reply quickly.
Thank you so much.
Yes, I got the link to the FBI site and the link to the canadian consulate page, which is what I need.
By the way, I did try calling the US embassy here in Bombay, they would not help with anything in the slightest bit. I was told to go through the process on my own.

cheers!
vj
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Xylene is an unknown quantity at this point

This is great....all of you are very helpful and kind to reply quickly.
Thank you so much.
Yes, I got the link to the FBI site and the link to the canadian consulate page, which is what I need.
By the way, I did try calling the US embassy here in Bombay, they would not help with anything in the slightest bit. I was told to go through the process on my own.

cheers!
vj
US Embassy does not do that job, FBI does that.
The process has been discussed in this NG as well as
misc.immigration.canada