Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Police clearance from Norway and Sweden

Wikiposts

Police clearance from Norway and Sweden

Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:43 am
Enjoying being in Canada!

ExBritExAfrican is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police clearance from Norway and Sweden

Hi - I was asked to provide police clearance for my Norwegian ex-wife from Norway and Sweden. Anyone know how to do this? Any addresses and/or forms for Oslo and Stockholm police would be very much appreciated. I know wannabe is a good contributor but haven't seen his posts in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police clearance from Norway and Sweden

Originally Posted by ExBritExAfrican
Hi - I was asked to provide police clearance for my Norwegian ex-wife from Norway and Sweden. Anyone know how to do this? Any addresses and/or forms for Oslo and Stockholm police would be very much appreciated. I know wannabe is a good contributor but haven't seen his posts in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Will they issue police clearances to you if you're not the person in question?

Why would they ask for police checks for your ex-wife anyway? If you get on well with her, then by all means provide them, if not, then why not just waive your rights to sponsor her in future?

Jeremy
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:38 am

Thanks Jeremy for your input.

[QUOTE=JAJ]Will they issue police clearances to you if you're not the person in question?

No they won't - I was trying to get all the info I can get to pass it on to my ex-wife.

[QUOTE=JAJ Why would they ask for police checks for your ex-wife anyway? If you get on well with her, then by all means provide them, if not, then why not just waive your rights to sponsor her in future?

I would love to waive my right to sponsor her in future - she has no interest in immigrating anyway - but because the divorce is still in process, apparently you can't waive your rights. She has agreed to do it so I hope it will be settled soon. I have 90 days to get the clearances!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritExAfrican

I would love to waive my right to sponsor her in future - she has no interest in immigrating anyway - but because the divorce is still in process, apparently you can't waive your rights.
Is that really true? In that case how do people manage when they come from a country where there is a lengthy waiting period for divorce, or divorce is forbidden completely (still the law in a few places).

I'd have thought CIC would simply look for evidence there's a permanent separation and a divorce in progress.

I'd be interested to see if Andrew Miller has any comment on this.

Jeremy
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Swedish PC is easy - check www.polisen.se - they have special blankets in English for "registerutdrag". Then pay something like 120SEK, fax them the blanket and 3-4 weeks later you'll get the document.

I'd say Norwegian PC is similar, unless of course Bjorn Rosengren was right about the lats Soviet state
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is that really true? In that case how do people manage when they come from a country where there is a lengthy waiting period for divorce, or divorce is forbidden completely (still the law in a few places).

I'd have thought CIC would simply look for evidence there's a permanent separation and a divorce in progress.

I'd be interested to see if Andrew Miller has any comment on this.

Jeremy
Here is what Andrew said on a similar topic (on medical tests)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=320422&pp=15
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by bartM
Swedish PC is easy - check www.polisen.se - they have special blankets in English for "registerutdrag". Then pay something like 120SEK, fax them the blanket and 3-4 weeks later you'll get the document.

I'd say Norwegian PC is similar, unless of course Bjorn Rosengren was right about the lats Soviet state
Bart, thanks for the info - The Norwegian PC doesnt seem to be a problem - My ex-wife lives in Oslo so it should be ok - It was the Swedish I wasnt sure about so I have fwd your response and hopefully I can submit everything before the 90 days deadline.

Thanks again, Ermias