Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Police Clearance Certificate - on a tangent

Wikiposts

Police Clearance Certificate - on a tangent

Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

zigspider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Clearance Certificate - on a tangent

Hi there

We applied through Hampshire Police, as that was our last UK address, as we live in France now. We have confirmed that our French clearance certificates are ok.

My Question is relating to the area in the application relating to Life History from 18. Now Hampshire Police said that my Police record will have been expunged, and will no longer appear on this record.. However, do I still need to mention it in my life history, as I did do a prison term - all be it short. I thought I would just adjust the dates a bit, and that part of my life would be forgotten, but my husband thinks we have to be totally honest.
So if the Police record shows nothing as it was so long ago, and then in my Life History I state my record, is that not going to bring it all to the end anyway.
Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Police Clearance Certificate - on a tangent

Originally Posted by zigspider
Hi there

We applied through Hampshire Police, as that was our last UK address, as we live in France now. We have confirmed that our French clearance certificates are ok.

My Question is relating to the area in the application relating to Life History from 18. Now Hampshire Police said that my Police record will have been expunged, and will no longer appear on this record.. However, do I still need to mention it in my life history, as I did do a prison term - all be it short. I thought I would just adjust the dates a bit, and that part of my life would be forgotten, but my husband thinks we have to be totally honest.
So if the Police record shows nothing as it was so long ago, and then in my Life History I state my record, is that not going to bring it all to the end anyway.
Thanks

Hi there, we have had a similar dilemma. My husband had one drink driving ban and a £20 fine for petty theft 25 years ago. There is nothing on the police reports, but in the end we decided to be honest about it and hope it doesn't go against us. The offences are considered "spent", so we should be alright. It's a risk either way I guess.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

zigspider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Clearance Certificate - on a tangent

Thanks for the advice. I do think it is best to be honest, as I lost my job and was out of work for quite a while, but I also hope that since it was almost 20 years ago that they will consider me rehabilitated.

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Hi there, we have had a similar dilemma. My husband had one drink driving ban and a £20 fine for petty theft 25 years ago. There is nothing on the police reports, but in the end we decided to be honest about it and hope it doesn't go against us. The offences are considered "spent", so we should be alright. It's a risk either way I guess.