Police checks - HELP

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

alanw22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police checks - HELP

Hi all,

I'm reposting these questions as I cant seem to get answers anywhere! help please..

Hi all,

I have some points that may or may not be able to be answered but here goes!

1. What does 6 months residency constitute as stated on CIC website? Does it include travelling/backpackig or not?

2. Is it 6 calendar months or does it count as days? ie 180 days

3. If I was classed as resident in a country but exited to travel elsewhere does this reduce my time in the original country? EG, I lived in Bangladesh but travelled to Nepal and to India while there. I travelled South Africa but went to Namibia for 3 days. I also worked on Kibbutz/moshav but travelled off to Egypt/Jordan. Does all this reduce my time in Bangladesh, South Africa, Israel to below 6 months?

Final question...!

4. Has anyone experience of getting police checks from Bangladesh, South Africa and Israel and how easy is it? (I am UK citizen). The Bangladesh one worries the crap out of me to be honest, knowing their bureaucracy!

Thanks in advance

Alan
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police checks - HELP

The CIC website states:

You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

The key words are "LIVED for six consecutive months"

As far as I am aware, backpacking doesn't generally count as you do not "live" in a country, you are visiting it. So, theoretically, you were touring the Indian continent and visited Bangledesh, Napal and India during a six month period.

I am sure someone with more knowledge can give you a definitive answer.

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:30 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

sadly i can only answer one question:
getting a police check from South Africa is not too difficult (just a huge pain in the arse!!), but I think you only need it done if you have been living there for a year or more? Have you contacted Canada Immigration for help?
If you need the SA police check details, pm me and I'll dig it out for you.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:31 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
sadly i can only answer one question:
getting a police check from South Africa is not too difficult (just a huge pain in the arse!!), but I think you only need it done if you have been living there for a year or more? Have you contacted Canada Immigration for help?
If you need the SA police check details, pm me and I'll dig it out for you.
ok 6 months
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:34 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by alanw22
Hi all,

I'm reposting these questions as I cant seem to get answers anywhere! help please..

Hi all,

I have some points that may or may not be able to be answered but here goes!

1. What does 6 months residency constitute as stated on CIC website? Does it include travelling/backpackig or not?

2. Is it 6 calendar months or does it count as days? ie 180 days

3. If I was classed as resident in a country but exited to travel elsewhere does this reduce my time in the original country? EG, I lived in Bangladesh but travelled to Nepal and to India while there. I travelled South Africa but went to Namibia for 3 days. I also worked on Kibbutz/moshav but travelled off to Egypt/Jordan. Does all this reduce my time in Bangladesh, South Africa, Israel to below 6 months?

Final question...!

4. Has anyone experience of getting police checks from Bangladesh, South Africa and Israel and how easy is it? (I am UK citizen). The Bangladesh one worries the crap out of me to be honest, knowing their bureaucracy!

Thanks in advance

Alan
1. It is 6 months in the country, whether you sat on the beach or ran around the perimeter
2. 6 calendar months.
3. Get the PCCs, it is quite likely that CIC/CHC is going to insist anyway, with a 3 day break in residency.
4. South Africa is slow, Isreal is a pain in that you apply at an Isrealli consulate and the PCC is sent back to the consulate for you to pick up. Good luck on the Bangladesh one. Hopefully you know someone in Bangladesh to apply on your behalf.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. It is 6 months in the country, whether you sat on the beach or ran around the perimeter
2. 6 calendar months.
3. Get the PCCs, it is quite likely that CIC/CHC is going to insist anyway, with a 3 day break in residency.
4. South Africa is slow, Isreal is a pain in that you apply at an Isrealli consulate and the PCC is sent back to the consulate for you to pick up. Good luck on the Bangladesh one. Hopefully you know someone in Bangladesh to apply on your behalf.
So basically any period over 6 months spent abroad needs a police check? Coordinating all these checks are going to be a nightmare. I tried getting clarification from CIC and the embassy here in London but they replied but didnt answer these questions! Its so ridiculous that we cant get a definitive answer from the proper authority! Can you clarify where your info comes from regarding these points?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanw22
So basically any period over 6 months spent abroad needs a police check? Coordinating all these checks are going to be a nightmare. I tried getting clarification from CIC and the embassy here in London but they replied but didnt answer these questions! Its so ridiculous that we cant get a definitive answer from the proper authority! Can you clarify where your info comes from regarding these points?
PMM is one of our regular immigration experts - if he says it, you can take it as correct!

Plus Siouxie has already given you the info taken directly from the CIC website which clearly states you need a police check for anywhere you've been for longer than 6 months at a time.

Good luck getting them sorted.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

ok let me help break it down in plain ENGLISH

180 days = 6 months, so i went to india and lived there without travelling out for 181 days = 6months n 1 day , yes I will need/ I need a police report from India.

Ok, I went to India and i lived in in without travelling out for 179 days = 5 months 29 days lol = I dont need a police report..

I went to South Africa and lived for 180 days = 6 months and went to Namibia for 3 days and came back , to SA i will needa police cert from SA. alos I was in SA for 179 days and went to namibia for 3 days and came back to SA for 179 days. I dont need a Police report from SA..

I hope u can use this with the other countries..

Plain English..

good luck
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bflava
ok let me help break it down in plain ENGLISH

180 days = 6 months, so i went to india and lived there without travelling out for 181 days = 6months n 1 day , yes I will need/ I need a police report from India.

Ok, I went to India and i lived in in without travelling out for 179 days = 5 months 29 days lol = I dont need a police report..

I went to South Africa and lived for 180 days = 6 months and went to Namibia for 3 days and came back , to SA i will needa police cert from SA. alos I was in SA for 179 days and went to namibia for 3 days and came back to SA for 179 days. I dont need a Police report from SA..

I hope u can use this with the other countries..

Plain English..

good luck
Hi Bflava,

Thanks for the info. Is this definite? Are you also in the immigration business? I need to know as the least police checks I need to get and tie in with the others and sending off forms to CIC the better. As you can imagine, I need Bangladesh Police cert and this wont come easy!!

Cheers and thanks again!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

6 months actually works out to 182.5 days (some months have 31) using the formula 365 (days) divided by 12 (months) times by 6 (months).
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

What about when it's a leap year