Police Check

Old May 18th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

mariar will become famous soon enoughmariar will become famous soon enough
Default Police Check

I am currently getting my application together to send away for Spousal Sponsorship in July. I am British and know that I require a police check to attach to my application.

I arrived in Canada on a Bunac visa and had to have the police check done as part of the visa and at the time the letter advised to pay the additional 5 pounds for an extra copy incase employers wanted to see it, so I did.

My question is, can I use this copy of the police check and send it with my application instead of paying the money and waiting for a new one? The one I have doesnt have a date or anything on it as far as I can see. Im just concerned that they need a fresh one even though I havent been in Britain since the last one was done (June 2010)

Any words of wisdom appreciated
Old May 18th 2011, 4:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Check

Hi

Originally Posted by mariar
I am currently getting my application together to send away for Spousal Sponsorship in July. I am British and know that I require a police check to attach to my application.

I arrived in Canada on a Bunac visa and had to have the police check done as part of the visa and at the time the letter advised to pay the additional 5 pounds for an extra copy incase employers wanted to see it, so I did.

My question is, can I use this copy of the police check and send it with my application instead of paying the money and waiting for a new one? The one I have doesnt have a date or anything on it as far as I can see. Im just concerned that they need a fresh one even though I havent been in Britain since the last one was done (June 2010)

Any words of wisdom appreciated
It can't be older than 3 months when submitted. You submit the old one, you take your chances.
Old May 19th 2011, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

ok - WHOA - this is news to me~! My husband got his police check done in January - now - we mailed our application at the end of march...so what your saying if that we will have to get ANOTHER ONE if they haven't taken a look at it before it expires(which is apparently 3 mos!?!) !?!?!

this is such a *%^&$#ing money grab.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
ok - WHOA - this is news to me~! My husband got his police check done in January - now - we mailed our application at the end of march...so what your saying if that we will have to get ANOTHER ONE if they haven't taken a look at it before it expires(which is apparently 3 mos!?!) !?!?!

this is such a *%^&$#ing money grab.
Re-read PMM's response, and note the 'when submitted' bit.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks PPM, its nerve wracking enough without doing something that I know may delay or cause problems so I will have my police check re done.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Well- here is the thing - "when submitted" to mississauga - or when our case was sent to london UK for processing. If they want to get tricky...is there somewhere that states on the cic website in regardsto expiration times of the police certificates....i've been looking on the site haven't found anything yet.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

*PMM, sorry
Old May 19th 2011, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

I couldnt find anything either, thats why I thought id ask. Sending my one from last year would save time, hassle and money but hey ho. Knew someone would know on here and I dont want to be taking any chances.
Old May 19th 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Yes - so where is the informaiton coming from?
Old May 19th 2011, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The section of the CIC website re: police checks says:

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application.

HTH.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:28 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Police check needs to be three months old or less when you submit, but that may not stop them asking for a new one if it takes them a long time to look at it!
Many post June FSW applicants who submitted their Police checks with their application didn't even get their app forwarded to London by CIO until after three months had passed and many of them are finding that now they receiving their Medical requests and a request for new Police checks at the same time.
So, I am afraid that yes, it is a money grab when you submit the correct thing and just because they are slow, they make you get a new one, but unfortunately this whole process involves paying people for stuff and that's just the nature of the beast.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helcat12
Yes, the Police check needs to be three months old or less when you submit, but that may not stop them asking for a new one if it takes them a long time to look at it!
Many post June FSW applicants who submitted their Police checks with their application didn't even get their app forwarded to London by CIO until after three months had passed and many of them are finding that now they receiving their Medical requests and a request for new Police checks at the same time.
So, I am afraid that yes, it is a money grab when you submit the correct thing and just because they are slow, they make you get a new one, but unfortunately this whole process involves paying people for stuff and that's just the nature of the beast.
well, I wonder who is right.
I'm not sure its a money grab by the CIC because they don't see any of it, but it's a huge WASTE of money if thats the way they do things and really inexcusable- (they should change their instructions on the submission documents)... that and the stories I'm reading about the 'not so free' health care makes me wonder if we're doing the right thing throwing our hard earned money at Canada
Old May 20th 2011, 5:49 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
well, I wonder who is right.
I'm not sure its a money grab by the CIC because they don't see any of it, but it's a huge WASTE of money if thats the way they do things and really inexcusable- (they should change their instructions on the submission documents)... that and the stories I'm reading about the 'not so free' health care makes me wonder if we're doing the right thing throwing our hard earned money at Canada
If you are worried about the cost of redoing the police checks, you do have a choice you know. From Appendix A.

POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
Please consult our website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/index.asp for specific and up-to-date information on how to obtain police certificates from any country.
Note: For applications received at the (CIO) prior to June 26, 2010, you must submit police certificates with your complete application and supporting documents to the visa office within the 120 day deadline set out by the CIO.
If your application is received at the CIO on or after June 26, 2010, you are strongly encouraged to submit your police certificates with your application to the CIO. If you are unable to obtain all the necessary police certificates, you may still send your application to the CIO without them. However, please note that if your application is placed into processing you must be ready to submit them to the visa office when requested.

It will cause a delay, but if you want to save a couple of bucks, it is your choice.
Old May 20th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

If you are worried about the cost of redoing the police checks, you do have a choice you know. From Appendix A.

POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
Please consult our website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/index.asp for specific and up-to-date information on how to obtain police certificates from any country.
Note: For applications received at the (CIO) prior to June 26, 2010, you must submit police certificates with your complete application and supporting documents to the visa office within the 120 day deadline set out by the CIO.
If your application is received at the CIO on or after June 26, 2010, you are strongly encouraged to submit your police certificates with your application to the CIO. If you are unable to obtain all the necessary police certificates, you may still send your application to the CIO without them. However, please note that if your application is placed into processing you must be ready to submit them to the visa office when requested.

It will cause a delay, but if you want to save a couple of bucks, it is your choice.
Thanks, I'm aware of that. I was strongly encouraged to submit, so i did ! (except for 2 countries which were holding things up and are unreliable when it comes to this kind of thing, but I have since submitted these too).

Hey, I'm happy if christmasoompa is correct in implying that once submitted and not older than 3 months, I won't be expected to submit new ones when they do get to me, be it 6 months or 18 months from now.

The choice you refer to isn't really a choice at all- all its saying is the right (preferred- 'please do this') way would be to submit everything in one go BUT if you are being held up for some reason by another country, then they will accept them at a later date , BUT you'd better be quick when they ask for them (well if you are being held up by an unreliable country why would it be any different later on when they decide to ask for them? so how the hell do you get your timing just right?). Its a complete lottery then because you don't know when you're going to get their call- and when you do, do you think those unreliable countries will be any faster in producing the PC's in the time demanded by CIC ??

get my point ?

My other point (if christmasoompa is wrong) is that the system should not ask for new pc's if it takes them so long to process things. Either that or give us a real choice and qualify their requirements by saying that if you do submit them as part of the main application, then its at your own risk and if we take 15 months to get to your application you will be asked to resubmit these again. Alternatively you may submit these at a later date (no penalties or ill will for delays due to some corrupt regime in some dodgy part of the world).

does that not seem fairer?
Old May 20th 2011, 7:13 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

For us, at the time we applied in Sept 2010, the rules had just changed from saying they had to be sent with the initial document pack to saying you need not send them, so as we already had ordered our Police certificates, it seemed silly not to send them.
However, it has taken 6 months for CIO to get our application to London and over two months later we are still not IN PROCESS, so I expect we will have to pay for new ones, along with others who applied at a similar time to us and who have all found that CIO have taken several months to get our applications to the VO. TIt is not that they were under 3 months old at the time they were submitted to CIO, it is the VO that wants them to be within 3 months and that is beyond the applicants' control now that the full pack goes to CIO at the start.
There are applications who have gone through the entire FSW process in 8 months, but they were all at VOs abroad (Manila and New Delhi.) They were not asked for new PCs. London is being much slower, based on current reports.
There should be no delay caused if you do not send the PCs at the start, though, as the Medical request and PC request are being made together, In the time it takes to book and go for the Medicals and have the results sent through to the VO, the Police Checks usually already arrived. If you have to get Police checks from a foreign country and think they will take some time, maybe wait until you see you are IN PROCESS and then send off for the Police checks?
I know you are not FSW, but I just wanted to clarify where I am getting my information from and some of it might be applicable to your case if you are being processed by London VO.

Last edited by helcat12; May 20th 2011 at 7:14 am. Reason: addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.