Police certificates

Old Sep 26th 2004, 6:57 am
Just Joined

nickg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police certificates

Hi,

I'm looking at emmigrating to Canada, and boy it isn't easy is it?

Still, from what I can see the majority of answers come down to common sense, and reading the guidelines *very* carefully ... however they get rather vague around the police check stage.

(Quick background, 28 years old, emmigrating by myself, BSc Hons Degree, Computer programmer, 15 years edu experience, 5 years work experience, english native, no french ability whatsoever, live in london, no relatives in canada, no arranged employment, point score 67).
Scary stuff, the whole right on the pass mark border eh?

Right, back to the police check. I did one year of my degree in Canada, and the police check thingy says I have to write to the canadian police and the police in the UK. (I've not lived anywhere else). So far so good.

However it gets a little vague here ... I'm assuming that it's the "request for police clearances/certificates" thing....

So as I understand it, I need two copies of that form, which I fill out, one for the UK, and one for Canada, and then I pop down to the local police station, get my finger prints taken, (again twice presumably), and then mail off the form (plus a covering letter?) to the London and Canadian police addresses listed in "Appendix B: Obtaining Police certificates/Clearances" section of the London Checklist?

Or I am being dumb?

If anyone can give a Yay or Nay that would be fab,

Thanks,

Nick
Old Sep 26th 2004, 7:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police certificates

Hi Nick

Originally Posted by nickg
Hi,

I'm looking at emmigrating to Canada, and boy it isn't easy is it?

Still, from what I can see the majority of answers come down to common sense, and reading the guidelines *very* carefully ... however they get rather vague around the police check stage.

(Quick background, 28 years old, emmigrating by myself, BSc Hons Degree, Computer programmer, 15 years edu experience, 5 years work experience, english native, no french ability whatsoever, live in london, no relatives in canada, no arranged employment, point score 67).
Scary stuff, the whole right on the pass mark border eh?

Right, back to the police check. I did one year of my degree in Canada, and the police check thingy says I have to write to the canadian police and the police in the UK. (I've not lived anywhere else). So far so good.

However it gets a little vague here ... I'm assuming that it's the "request for police clearances/certificates" thing....

So as I understand it, I need two copies of that form, which I fill out, one for the UK, and one for Canada, and then I pop down to the local police station, get my finger prints taken, (again twice presumably), and then mail off the form (plus a covering letter?) to the London and Canadian police addresses listed in "Appendix B: Obtaining Police certificates/Clearances" section of the London Checklist?

Or I am being dumb?

If anyone can give a Yay or Nay that would be fab,

Thanks,

Nick
1 Set of fingerprints for the RCMP. You don't require fingerprints for the UK record check. Here is the route there:

For the UK, you contact the local police who advise him that under the UK Data Protection
Act, you can obtain information to confirm whether or not you had any convictions. A resident of London, you write to:
Metropolitan Police
Subject Access Office
10 Broadway
London SW1H 0BG

Local police keep application forms with details on how to apply and pay the
processing fee. If you live outside London, you apply to the regional police
authority for the district where you reside.

PMM
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:34 am
Just Joined

nickg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police certificates

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Nick

1 Set of fingerprints for the RCMP. You don't require fingerprints for the UK record check. Here is the route there:

For the UK, you contact the local police who advise him that under the UK Data Protection
Act, you can obtain information to confirm whether or not you had any convictions. A resident of London, you write to:
Metropolitan Police
Subject Access Office
10 Broadway
London SW1H 0BG

Local police keep application forms with details on how to apply and pay the
processing fee. If you live outside London, you apply to the regional police
authority for the district where you reside.

PMM
Thanks very much for the reply. I shall go have a word with the local police and see what they say ...

Nick