Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Police certificate...takes 4 months?

Police certificate...takes 4 months?

Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:44 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Police certificate...takes 4 months?

Does it really take 4 months to get a police certificate in the US?

We wanted to submit the sponsorship/PR application at the end of this month then i read that it takes 16-18 weeks for the FBI to process it.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ted-states.asp

Does this mean I can't apply for permanent residency (spousal route) for another 4 months, or can it be processed while the police certificate is pending?

Edit: then, on the FBI page, it says "Allow approximately 3-4 weeks for processing, upon receipt to the FBI." (??)

Can anyone who's had their certificate done in the US share how long it took to get yours?

Last edited by jcapulet; Apr 9th 2009 at 12:51 am.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Police certificate...takes 4 months?

Originally Posted by jcapulet

We wanted to submit the sponsorship/PR application at the end of this month then i read that it takes 16-18 weeks for the FBI to process it.

Does this mean I can't apply for permanent residency (spousal route) for another 4 months, or can it be processed while the police certificate is pending?

Edit: then, on the FBI page, it says "Allow approximately 3-4 weeks for processing, upon receipt to the FBI." (??)

Can anyone who's had their certificate done in the US share how long it took to get yours?
Well, well, well Ms. Lisa - where the heck have you been? We miss you and your gory stories in the lounge. Come and visit sometime soon.....
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Our FBI check came back within 3 weeks. Latest CIV requirement is also to get police checks from any states you've lived in. We just got our med requests, but they've asked for state police clearances too. For PR apps, CIC want checks to be current - within 3 months of submitting all information. DOn't know what route you are going down.
Best of luck!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

newfiegurl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jcapulet

I think my partner's clearance came back within 3 weeks.