Police certificate

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

East london is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Police certificate

Hello guys

I`m not british but I live in UK for 5 years. I apply for a job here in Canada, and have been ask to provide a UK police certificate in 3 weeks. Any one whatis the fastest way to get one. I now the ACPO application but this not valid for my case since it is only for travel purpurse. Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police certificate

Originally Posted by East london
Hello guys

I`m not british but I live in UK for 5 years. I apply for a job here in Canada, and have been ask to provide a UK police certificate in 3 weeks. Any one whatis the fastest way to get one. I now the ACPO application but this not valid for my case since it is only for travel purpurse. Thank you for your help.
The ACPO application is the one to apply under
Police certificates (police checks)
You may need a criminal and security check (police certificate) if you are coming to Canada as a:

live-in caregiver,
tourist,
student or
temporary worker.
When you apply to become a permanent resident, you must get a police certificate.

We use police certificates to find out if you have a criminal record. They help visa officers make sure you are not a security risk to Canada.

Find out how to get a police certificate.

Learn more about police certificates.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:37 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

I think ours came in about 10 days so its a pretty quick process
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The ACPO application is the one to apply under
It doesn't sound as though the OP needs a police check for immigration purposes from what he's said, rather that it's been requested by his employer.

Having said that, the ACPO express service would certainly be the quickest option, and at least then he'd have it ready for any visa application, assuming that it hasn't expired by then.

And I don't think you can do a CRB check on yourself anyway, so ACPO may be the only option.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You can get a standard Police/criminal conviction check from your local Police Station.

Take a couple of forms of identification (one with a picture) just in case they ask and complete a short application form and submit it there and then.

I got one done a couple of years ago and got a reply within a couple of weeks.
I think the cost was around £20.

I hope this helps and the procedure is still how it was when we got ours.

Good Luck
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

I think your all over looking something here, they have stated that they are not from the UK originally so won't they have to get a police check from their native country?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger75
I think your all over looking something here, they have stated that they are not from the UK originally so won't they have to get a police check from their native country?
No idea, but as the OP only said he's been asked for a UK police cert, presumably that's why he's had the answers he has. Maybe the employer only wants police certs for the past couple of years, or maybe he just knows how to get a police cert from his own country if it's required. Either way, he didn't ask about anywhere else, only the UK!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see by the thread that the member we are discussing had been in the uk only 5 years but in my experience that is long enough for someone to get involved with the Police and obtain a criminal conviction!
I would suggest a criminal conviction print from both the UK and any other country where he may have resided in the past?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by East london
Hello guys

You need to look at getting this -
http://content.met.police.uk/Article.../1400005855548

Subject Access request, Application 1. Access to Information held by the MPS on the Police National Computer [PNC] is the bit you want.

ACPO is for migration purposes, and CRB checks are done for specific employment roles. To get a print out of your own record (or lack of one) you need the Subject Access route
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:18 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately the OP needs to contact Disclosure Scotland to get a police certificate for non-immigration purposes. http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply/individuals/ They do this on-behalf of all police forces in UK.

The process Disclosure Scotland follows does not allow for applying from outside the UK and they are a useless bunch of ****.

If you dont live in UK, then you need to get a paper form sent to you. As they dont have a mechanism to send mail abroad they use Surface Mail which takes 6 - 10 weeks to get to Canada. You can ask a UK friend/relative to get form sent to them and get it FedEx'ed to you. The form has a unique bar code so you must get the original.

You then return it to them and they do the checks then issue a certificate but if they put a non-uk address then it will go via Surface Mail....hence another 6 - 10 weeks. If you nominate a friend to receive your certificate it will be in their address NOT yours.

The paragraph from Disclosure Scotland website says the following:

"The need to supply application forms or indeed Disclosure Certificates outside of the UK was not envisaged, and is not reflected, in the overall cost of a Disclosure.

We currently have no agreement to send items outwith the UK. Therefore any non-UK mail is sent via Surface Mail, not Airmail, and may take time to reach their destination."

I had to cause a right stink to get someone in Disclosure Scotland to go into the post room and take the envelope with my certificate in my Canadian address and put it into another envelope with a relatives address.

Disclosure Scotland is governed by Scottish Parliament and I also raised the "we aint setup for requests from abroad" with the relevant department....guess what no bloody response, useless SMPs.

p.s. Good Luck

Last edited by JB0591; Sep 24th 2013 at 11:26 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:25 pm
x 0 x

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You need to look at getting this -
http://content.met.police.uk/Article.../1400005855548

Subject Access request, Application 1. Access to Information held by the MPS on the Police National Computer [PNC] is the bit you want.

ACPO is for migration purposes, and CRB checks are done for specific employment roles. To get a print out of your own record (or lack of one) you need the Subject Access route
The webpage you linked to states "PNC is not for employment vetting" and for that you must use Disclosure Scotland route.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:30 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
The webpage you linked to states "PNC is not for employment vetting" and for that you must use Disclosure Scotland route.
well forgive me for trying to help.
Subject access checks are available to everyone who wants a record of their criminal history in the UK, under the Data Protection Act. Employment criminal record checks through CRB are genetally not available to individuals and ACPO checks are for immigration to certain countries. Those countries not yet using ACPO still use subject access.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:32 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Top Cat
Hi

You can get a standard Police/criminal conviction check from your local Police Station.

Take a couple of forms of identification (one with a picture) just in case they ask and complete a short application form and submit it there and then.

I got one done a couple of years ago and got a reply within a couple of weeks.
I think the cost was around £20.

I hope this helps and the procedure is still how it was when we got ours.

Good Luck
thats the subject access check, as in my link to the Met -if you live in another Force area they are available from Police HQ in those areas.

eg http://www.sussex.police.uk/policing...ubject-access/. which is where mine came from last time I needed one.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 25th 2013 at 1:35 am.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:14 am
x 0 x

Originally Posted by Pollyana
thats the subject access check, as in my link to the Met -if you live in another Force area they are available from Police HQ in those areas.

eg http://www.sussex.police.uk/policing...ubject-access/. which is where mine came from last time I needed one.
Yep but that route is same as the other link posted and is not for pre-employment vetting as explained in the 'how to apply' section. If you go that route you are gambling on the Canadian employer not checking up on the info you provided.

I know for a fact that certain Canadian government departments knows the route to be Disclosure Scotland for employment or non-immigration police certificates....

Last edited by JB0591; Sep 25th 2013 at 2:21 am.