Police Certificate

Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:32 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph Ontario
Posts: 69
segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future
Default Police Certificate

A quick question about the above please

I lived in Nigeria till age 28 and have been in the UK since (13years) and now also hold a British passport

Do I need a police check from both UK and Nigeria? For TWP

Thanks

Last edited by segs; Dec 4th 2012 at 7:32 pm. Reason: Incomplete
segs is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:38 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,063
Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Certificate

Originally Posted by segs
A quick question about the above please

I lived in Nigeria till age 28 and have been in the UK since (13years) and now also hold a British passport

Do I need a police check from both UK and Nigeria? For TWP

Thanks
Neither
Dave n Ailsa is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:23 am
  #3  
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Certificate

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Neither
So you don't need a Police cert for TWP?
fabretti18 is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:41 am
  #4  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Certificate

Hi


Originally Posted by fabretti18
So you don't need a Police cert for TWP?

1. Did you look at the London checklist for a TWP? :http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...wchecklist.pdf

You might find the following

"An original Police Certificate for everyone requiring a Work Permit. Further information available here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/index.asp If you have any criminal convictions, please provide a
personal explanation. UK residents should provide an ACPO police certificate
PMM is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:33 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Ailsa n Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Was Glasgow Scotland, now Ancaster, Ontario
Posts: 229
Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice
Default Re: Police Certificate

Hi PMM,

Do you need a Police report with you if you are applying for a TWP at POE or just if you are posting an application?
Ailsa n Dave is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:10 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Certificate

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi





1. Did you look at the London checklist for a TWP? :http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...wchecklist.pdf

You might find the following

"An original Police Certificate for everyone requiring a Work Permit. Further information available here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/index.asp If you have any criminal convictions, please provide a
personal explanation. UK residents should provide an ACPO police certificate
Yes, that's what I thought and I've already applied for mine. Just got confused by the first reply to OP......it's been a long day
fabretti18 is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:23 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph Ontario
Posts: 69
segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Police Certificate

Thanks for all the comments
segs is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:30 am
  #8  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Certificate

Hi


Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
Hi PMM,

Do you need a Police report with you if you are applying for a TWP at POE or just if you are posting an application?
Yes, but most of the time the BSO forgets to ask.
PMM is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:36 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
sheffield2toronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Certificate

Hi,

I lived in Nigeria until 1986. Just needed UK police checks for Canada immigration.

thx..
sheffield2toronto is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:02 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,870
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Certificate

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi




Yes, but most of the time the BSO forgets to ask.
Not wishing to start an argument with PMM or doubting his wisdom
if he could point out in any CIC Manual that a certificate is required I would be grateful. The CIC website does state this

You may need a criminal record check if you are coming to Canada as a live-in caregiver, tourist, student or temporary worker. If you are applying for permanent residence, you must have one done.

Can you imagine the line ups at the border if every BSO started asking for a police certificate for visitors and temporary workers
IMHO the cross training modules for legacy Customs Inspectors now known as CBSA who receive the Immigration training do not mention this nor cover it as its a MAY and for the reasons stated above.
Sorry PMM gotta disagree with you on this one as we dont forget
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:03 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph Ontario
Posts: 69
segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Police Certificate

aaarrrggghhh
Former Lancastrian, I was holding my tongue before but now I must speak...
I'm as confused as when I asked the question!
And there you go 'not wanting to start an argument'

It's nice to read diff replies though- I'll get to the bottom of what I should do eventually
segs is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:54 am
  #12  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Certificate

Hi


Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not wishing to start an argument with PMM or doubting his wisdom
if he could point out in any CIC Manual that a certificate is required I would be grateful. The CIC website does state this

You may need a criminal record check if you are coming to Canada as a live-in caregiver, tourist, student or temporary worker. If you are applying for permanent residence, you must have one done.

Can you imagine the line ups at the border if every BSO started asking for a police certificate for visitors and temporary workers
IMHO the cross training modules for legacy Customs Inspectors now known as CBSA who receive the Immigration training do not mention this nor cover it as its a MAY and for the reasons stated above.
Sorry PMM gotta disagree with you on this one as we dont forget
Not visitors, but workers. If you apply for a work permit at London, you have to submit a police certificate http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...wchecklist.pdf Whereas CHC Sydney Australia only requires truck drivers to submit Criminal Records checks. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ang=eng&view=d

Not exactly consistent is it?
PMM is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:47 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,870
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Certificate

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi




Not visitors, but workers. If you apply for a work permit at London, you have to submit a police certificate http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...wchecklist.pdf Whereas CHC Sydney Australia only requires truck drivers to submit Criminal Records checks. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ang=eng&view=d

Not exactly consistent is it?
No its not. Personally Im of the opinion that all applications for a TWP be it at a consulate overseas or at a POE a valid Police Certificate should be mandatory before any TWP is issued. Students mmmm not sure on this one however as the vast majority of students are non US citizens and have to apply for the permit overseas then I see no hardship in providing one.
Visitors only when hell freezes over will they be required to provide one.
Former Lancastrian is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.