Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Police certificate; Best option, here in England or there in Spain?

Police certificate; Best option, here in England or there in Spain?

Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

largy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police certificate; Best option, here in England or there in Spain?

Hello

So after lots of time, money and effort I finally received my ITA for permanent residency, all documents submitted…then I get an email saying that my application has been rejected because I didn’t provide a police certificate for the period of 6 months I lived in Spain and did an internship after university back in 2008…

First option - I have filled out form 709 from what I have read here on the forum, so am I right in thinking I now print and mail this to the address in Madrid, there it will get authenticated (legalised/notarised) along with it I send a colour photocopy of my passport and a pre paid envelope for them to send it on to the appropriate office in a second location, there after I will receive a response?

Second option – I think I deserve a cheeky long weekend away so have no problem going to Madrid for a few days (even though my Spanish is awful now) and getting it done in person. Is this method quicker and easier? Also will I definitely be able to get t all sorted in the 3 or 4 days that I’m visiting Madrid?

(Sorry for the Long-winded message. Also FYI, I’m from England, studied and worked here, did the internship in Playa Blanca Spain/Canaries October 2007 to April 2008 & have a score of 473 - Thanks)
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police certificate; Best option, here in England or there in Spain?

According to the CIC website its Model 790 application.

It doesn't say it can or cannot be done in person nor how long it takes.
If not in English or French it will need translating by a certified translator.
How to Get a Police Certificate – Spain (including the Canary Islands)
Old Dec 17th 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to get it legalized. What you can do is use a third party company who provides this service to do the whole process and that is usually quite quick. That is what I would do.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 17th 2016 at 3:43 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou both for your replies. Snowy, do you know of any 3rd parties I could approach?
Old Dec 17th 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by largy
Thankyou both for your replies. Snowy, do you know of any 3rd parties I could approach?
I'll try to get the names on the understanding I'm not vouching for the companies as such. In the meantime, do a google search.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I didn't realize you were in the UK. The person I know used a firm for that purpose here in Canada. I don't think I can help much as I don't know enough about the process when done from the UK and what is required. If I find out more I will post. I do notice the UK gov does a legalization service if required but do not know if this is the right way to go about it:

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 18th 2016 at 12:44 am.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I didn't realize you were in the UK. The person I know used a firm for that purpose here in Canada. I don't think I can help much as I don't know enough about the process when done from the UK and what is required. If I find out more I will post. I do notice the UK gov does a legalization service if required but do not know if this is the right way to go about it:

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

S
Thanks alot, appreciate your help & I have already started looking into it. I'll post my progress on this thread for others anyway.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Please do.

S
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Old Hermit is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar situation to you for my iec application (brit, lived in Spain for a year a long time ago).

I mailed the form, certified passport copy along with proof that I'd paid the 3.70 euros, received the police check back about 2/3 weeks later.

It was legalised by the Spanish ministry. Screenshot below.

http://i.imgur.com/uIc6EC3.jpg

Last edited by Old Hermit; Dec 21st 2016 at 9:13 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Old Hermit
I was in a similar situation to you for my iec application (brit, lived in Spain for a year a long time ago).

I mailed the form, certified passport copy along with proof that I'd paid the 3.70 euros, received the police check back about 2/3 weeks later.

It was legalised by the Spanish ministry. Screenshot below.

http://i.imgur.com/uIc6EC3.jpg
Hello Old Hermit thanks for the reply. By certified passport do you simply mean a photocopy of your passport or does it require some type of signature? Unfortunately the image can not be displayed.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Old Hermit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by largy
Hello Old Hermit thanks for the reply. By certified passport do you simply mean a photocopy of your passport or does it require some type of signature? Unfortunately the image can not be displayed.
Sorry, I deleted it quite quickly...Got a bit freaked out by the hundreds of views after a few minutes and random comments! It was a shot of the page of the doc I received back to show it was legalised by the ministry.

I had the copy of my passport certified by an accountant friend as a true copy of the original. I was playing it safe as the form instructions ask for an original or certified photocopy.