Police Caution - "no trace"

Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

benpals is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Caution - "no trace"

I recived a police caution so many years agao I cant remeber for

" theft" - of a garden gnome ... ( from a neighbour)

I spent 3-4 hrs in a police cell and was questioned to the amusement of the entire police station. The gnome was in an evidence bag ..lol...! any way....

Was clearly drunken hi jinks, out of character and as a much younger immature lad.

I was told i should accept a caution and be on my way as a ticking off, and not even sure if this was actioned after my departure. It may have been simply a no further action case.

The neighbour was the local magistrate so I expect a call was made to scare the wits out of me, in the first instance anyway.

I cannot even remember the year, or even how to find out, i was over 18 though.

It is certainly not a prosecution and never needed disclosing as criminal background ect at any point in my life.

In accordance with police step down rules it is so long ago it is no longer recorded or recognised, even if it was recorded..?

To be certain I got my Acpo certificate which is specifically for immigration purposes and it indeed shows NO trace and specifically mentions cautions in the header.

I thus imagine that since this is extinguished or perhaps not even registered , i do not tick either " been convicted.... or subject of any criminal proceedings in any country box " and / or " been detained or put in jail "

Jail implies at HM pleasure which i do not think police station is anyway . I was held awaiting an interview , jail is gained only after a prosecution.
Where do we read the definitions..?

All opinions welcome please....?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Caution - "no trace"

Others may comment further but if the certificate says "no trace" it may well mean that no action was ever taken.

You could do a subject access request for local police records. But if you can find no record of it, it may well be reasonable to assume nothing was ever done.

And don't go around incriminating yourself for something that may not exist.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by benpals

I spent 3-4 hrs in a police cell and was questioned to the amusement of the entire police station. The gnome was in an evidence bag ..lol...! any way....

Was clearly drunken hi jinks, out of character and as a much younger immature lad.

I was told i should accept a caution and be on my way as a ticking off, and not even sure if this was actioned after my departure. It may have been simply a no further action case.

The neighbour was the local magistrate so I expect a call was made to scare the wits out of me, in the first instance anyway.

It is certainly not a prosecution and never needed disclosing as criminal background ect at any point in my life.

In accordance with police step down rules it is so long ago it is no longer recorded or recognised, even if it was recorded..?

To be certain I got my Acpo certificate which is specifically for immigration purposes and it indeed shows NO trace and specifically mentions cautions in the header.

I thus imagine that since this is extinguished or perhaps not even registered , i do not tick either " been convicted.... or subject of any criminal proceedings in any country box " and / or " been detained or put in jail "

Jail implies at HM pleasure which i do not think police station is anyway . I was held awaiting an interview , jail is gained only after a prosecution.

Sorry for laughing, I can't get the scene from The Full Monty out of my head where they pinch the garden gnomes!!!!
Anyway back to the real subject at hand, I have a similar situation whereas I received a caution whilst serving with the Royal Navy again whilst very drunk. As I understand it you are correct as you were not convicted as you weren't officially charged so tick neither box, my caution was 6 years ago so I hope its time has been served (5 years I believe) and my cert when it comes back says No Trace otherwise I will have a big problem!!!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags1972
Sorry for laughing, I can't get the scene from The Full Monty out of my head where they pinch the garden gnomes!!!!
Anyway back to the real subject at hand, I have a similar situation whereas I received a caution whilst serving with the Royal Navy again whilst very drunk. As I understand it you are correct as you were not convicted as you weren't officially charged so tick neither box, my caution was 6 years ago so I hope its time has been served (5 years I believe) and my cert when it comes back says No Trace otherwise I will have a big problem!!!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news Mags1972, but my son had a caution 8 years ago (at age 18) which showed up on his UK Police Certificate / check last October, luckily he had mentioned it on the application forms for immigration and he sent an accompanying letter explaining that it would be stepped down / spent by now. For Immigration purposes the one done is the "enhanced" CRB check, which shows everything and even though cautions are considered "spent" immediately (see here) they still show up.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by siouxie
I hate to be the bearer of bad news Mags1972, but my son had a caution 8 years ago (at age 18) which showed up on his UK Police Certificate / check last October, luckily he had mentioned it on the application forms for immigration and he sent an accompanying letter explaining that it would be stepped down / spent by now. For Immigration purposes the one done is the "enhanced" CRB check, which shows everything and even though cautions are considered "spent" immediately (see here) they still show up.
Now I have a bad feeling about this, so if my report comes back with a spent caution on it what problem will it cause, it was my only brush with the law ever and wasn't exactly a bad offense. And it does say "This means that if you are asked on an application form if you have a caution you can reply 'no'." which is exactly the reason why it hasn't been mentioned to CIC on my initial application!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sorry, but I really don't see what problem this will be to your application.

If it was me I would be totally upfront about it and send in a cover letter with your application explaining the no trace situation. I honestly don't think it'll be an issue as long as you declare it - they will probably find out what it was anyway.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Police Caution - "no trace"

Originally Posted by spaceace
I'm sorry, but I really don't see what problem this will be to your application.

If it was me I would be totally upfront about it and send in a cover letter with your application explaining the no trace situation. I honestly don't think it'll be an issue as long as you declare it - they will probably find out what it was anyway.

Police cautions received after 18 years of age, are active for 5 years when they may be disclosed in case of further offences committed. after this time, they may no longer appear on the Police National Computer. admittedly some still stay on the system.
cautions/final warnings/ reprimand obtaine dbelow the age of 18, are 'wiped' at 18.

hope this helps
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

hi all
imam in the same boat
when i was young and silly got a caution for theft in 96 (was 18 at the time)
then in nov 2000 was very drunk and fell through a window and got charge for criminal damage.
a close mate done a check on me (he is a police man) it came back as i was known to the police and the above was on record.

will this effect me to gain entry to alberta (have not filled application)

graham
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

No it wont affect your application unless you lie about it or don't disclose it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/inFORMa...des/5312E3.asp
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

honesty is the best policy as the say.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
For Immigration purposes the one done is the "enhanced" CRB check, which shows everything

Not true.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:51 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benpals

No trace means you do not have any convictions

No LIVE trace means you do have a police record and information is held about you on the Police National Computer. The information does not appear on your certificate as it has been "stepped down"

Which one do you have?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:01 am
Kent to (hopefully) Banff

neilrufc is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone ever heard or had a visa application rejected for having a police caution?

There seems to be a mix response on the subject.

I have a police caution which is 9 years old and not on my police check. I am waiting for my acpo check to arrive. My is more serious as it was a drugs offence (possession).

I am going to be honest on the forms and will send a a letter explaing the caution and also one for explaining when I was arrested.

I had some chats with people and they seem to think there is nothing to worry about especially when the caution is 9 years old.

Be honest and put a letter explaining why you recieved the caution.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

mr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud of

I'm just glad you're not applying for a Gnomeland Visa.....Kidnapping is a serious offence there.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not true.

If that is the case, (not an enhanced check), why did my son's caution from 2000 show up on his Police check? It revealed he had been cautioned, the date and what the caution was for!

Are you saying it shouldn't have been shown? If so then can he make a formal complaint?

He wrote a cover letter and sent it with the Police check explaining that the caution was stepped down, which presumably CIC London accepted as he has since had his medical request.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.