Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

"Poison Pen letter" mentioned in CAIPS notes

Wikiposts

"Poison Pen letter" mentioned in CAIPS notes

Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

macoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Poison Pen letter" mentioned in CAIPS notes

I reviewed someone else's CAIPS notes and noticed the following notes

RECD POISON LTR, PA TO BSMT FILE

I think it should be "received poison pen letter, pass to BSMT file". However, I do NOT understand what this is

POISON PEN LETTER

and

BSMT file
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:14 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Poison Pen letter" mentioned in CAIPS notes

Originally Posted by macoy
I reviewed someone else's CAIPS notes and noticed the following notes

RECD POISON LTR, PA TO BSMT FILE

I think it should be "received poison pen letter, pass to BSMT file". However, I do NOT understand what this is

POISON PEN LETTER

and

BSMT file
"Poison pen" indicates that the applicant has an enemy who wrote a negative letter of some sort concerning them. BSMT is the local file where they put such letters.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
"Poison pen" indicates that the applicant has an enemy who wrote a negative letter of some sort concerning them. BSMT is the local file where they put such letters.
that is what I guess.

about BSMT, does it mean all that applicant's files are in BSMT files or Buffalo just put all these sorts of "Poison Pen Letter" to the BSMT files? Anything special about this BSMT file issue?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Dear Jim Humphries,

As a former visa Officer, how did you and your colleauges handle such "poison pen letter"?

My friend would really like to see what was said in the "poison pen letter". What do you think is the appropriate approach to obtain a copy of it? Should he request a copy of the "poison pen letter" from CIC according to the privacy act? If privacy act is not the right one, should he use "access to information act" as a legal weapon to get the copy?

Last edited by macoy; Mar 8th 2005 at 2:07 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:27 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Dear Jim Humphries,

As a former visa Officer, how did you and your colleauges handle such "poison pen letter"?

My friend would really like to see what was said in the "poison pen letter". What do you think is the appropriate approach to obtain a copy of it? Should he request a copy of the "poison pen letter" from CIC according to the privacy act? If privacy act is the right one to talk about, should he use "access to information act" as a legal weapon to get the copy?
He ain't going to get a copy of it under either privacy or access, as it will probably classified as "information received in confidence from another person.

PMM
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

He ain't going to get a copy of it under either privacy or access, as it will probably classified as "information received in confidence from another person.

PMM
but how do the visa officers handle such "poison pen letter"?

if the visa officers take such letters into consideration, that would be really unfair as these letters could be just non-sense and the innocent applicant might never have a chance to defend him/herself.

Last edited by macoy; Mar 8th 2005 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

but how do the visa officers handle such "poison pen letter"?

if the visa officers take such letters into consideration, that would be really unfair as these letters could be just non-sense and the innocent applicant might never have a chance to defend him/herself.
If the letter appears genuine, they will investigate the allegations, and if they feel the allegations are true or there is some basis, they will confront the applicant. If it is "sour grapes" it goes into file 13.

PMM
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

If the letter appears genuine, they will investigate the allegations, and if they feel the allegations are true or there is some basis, they will confront the applicant. If it is "sour grapes" it goes into file 13.

PMM
file 13? what does that mean?

while, the whole situation happens to my friend's previous application. He applied previously on early 2002 and was denied on May 2003 because of increased passing mark and his insufficient work experience. While, on the CAIPS notes, the poison pen letter was received by CIC on Dec 2003. It should not cause any harm to that application as the application was dead anyway at the time CIC received such a letter.

However, he completed a Ph.D. in Canada at early 2004 and then went to work in Canada. He later submitted another immigration applications under the skilled worker category. then the question is how would this "poison pen letter", filed in his first application, effect his second application?

He already received the initial accessment (with interview waiver, medical exam and ask for landing fee) last summer. He requested a CAIPS notes for his recent application but has not received it.

experts, please suggest how my friend should react at such a situation?

Last edited by macoy; Mar 8th 2005 at 4:57 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:00 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Jim Humphries,

My friend would really like to see what was said in the "poison pen letter". What do you think is the appropriate approach to obtain a copy of it? Should he request a copy of the "poison pen letter" from CIC according to the privacy act? If privacy act is not the right one, should he use "access to information act" as a legal weapon to get the copy?
Treatment of poison pen letters would depend on their content. I think your firend might be able to get a copy.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Treatment of poison pen letters would depend on their content. I think your firend might be able to get a copy.
thanks for your reply. I wish he could and I will keep everyone posted with the progress.

would you please also offer your opinion on my recent questions posted on 11:21 pm yesterday? #8
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

PMM
Well I have succeeded in getting copies of such letters. Being lazy I had my lawyer do it. It was very revealing.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Default Experts!! What do you think?

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

PMM

while, the whole situation happens to my friend's previous application. He applied previously on early 2002 and was denied on May 2003 because of increased passing mark and his insufficient work experience. While, on the CAIPS notes, the poison pen letter was received by CIC on Dec 2003. It should not cause any harm to that application as the application was dead anyway at the time CIC received such a letter.

However, he completed a Ph.D. in Canada at early 2004 and then went to work in Canada. He later submitted another immigration applications under the skilled worker category. then the question is how would this "poison pen letter", filed in his first application, effect his second application?

He already received the initial accessment (with interview waiver, medical exam and ask for landing fee) last summer. He requested a CAIPS notes for his recent application but has not received it.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:10 pm

Default Re: Experts!! What do you think?

He should do nothing, I think. It will be the letter of an enemy and unless it seemed to indicate a genuine problem it would be ignored by the visa office.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Experts!! What do you think?

He should do nothing, I think. It will be the letter of an enemy and unless it seemed to indicate a genuine problem it would be ignored by the visa office.
He really wants to get a copy of this letter to see who was doing what.

Should he requests it from CIC, either under access to info or privacy, right now? However, he is concerning that such request might stir the water and attract unnecessary attention from the visa officer that is processing his current application. But making a request now might better prepare him for any potential confrontation from CIC buffalo.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:46 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Same as the "circular file" I suspect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.