Points system

Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Iceboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Points system

Hi All,

My first post, so please be gentle with me.

My wife and I have been discussing moving to Toronto since Christmas and I have started to do my research.

I think the application route we will take, is the professional skilled worker.

From what I understand, we must meet a minimum points requirement to move through the process?

Have the points system changed for 2013, and what is the best online tool to look at our suitability.

We both have 10+ years work experience and university degrees (wife - LLB & LPC-legal and I have BA Hons - Marketing & Business)

The only thing we cannot find, are jobs where salaries are indicated?

I'm sure we will have many more questions.
IceBoy

PS we have both been to Toronto - GTA 5 times in the last 4 years.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points system

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Yes, the points test is changing, see here for more info - http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg2-eng.html So when you apply in May, this is the new score that will be applied.

For salaries you can look at any Canadian job site such as Monster, or try here - http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/wag...ortOption=wage

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 12th 2013 at 10:38 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:11 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Another good one to try is indeed.ca http://www.indeed.com/salary/Canada.html

A salary indicator and indeed is good to review jobs are avaiable in your field and the area your looking at
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Sorry for the silly question. Does this mean I have to submit my paperwork to London in May ?

I did not realise that there was a deadline every year??

Please could someone clarify please.
IceBoy
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:40 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iceboy
Sorry for the silly question. Does this mean I have to submit my paperwork to London in May ?

IceBoy
As places will be limited you will need to get your paperwork in for the re-opening of the FSW visa stream on May 4th and your paperwork needs to go to Sydney in Canada not London.

Also bear in mind you will need to get your credentials checked, get police certificates, references from employers, sit the IELTS and fill in a whole host of forms. So if you are realistically considering a move to Canada you need to start researching and gathering your paperwork asap.

A good start is to check out the wiki, browse the forum and after all that if you have more questions then post a question and the forum members will be more than happy to help

Last edited by Mikeypm; Jan 13th 2013 at 7:41 am. Reason: missed a word
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mikeypm.

I had better get my act together. It was just, a friend told me that the paperwork gets submitted to Canadian Embassy in London or something similar.

Would anyone recommend an agency that can help and take the stress out of it?

IceBoy
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

IceBoy
Yes, as said above the program opens on 4th May. In the past there has been a quota but also a list of eligible occupations (only 29 - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada) so the quota took a while to fill as so few people were eligible to apply.

However, this years it's expected that there won't be an occupation list, meaning that pretty much anybody will be able to apply and those places (it's not been confirmed yet how many) will go incredibly quickly.

If you're serious about applying then start gathering your paperwork (book your IELTS as a priority as there is usually a couple of months wait for an exam slot) ready to apply on 4th May.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 13th 2013 at 8:09 am.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Mikeypm.

I had better get my act together. It was just, a friend told me that the paperwork gets submitted to Canadian Embassy in London or something similar.

Would anyone recommend an agency that can help and take the stress out of it?

IceBoy
Your friend was wrong, probably just out of date as applications to London stopped a few years ago. London will still be your visa office, but you must send it to Nova Scotia where it will be checked to make sure you're eligible, then once you've passed that first screening, they'll forward it to London for processing.

If you really need a consultant (most on the forum don't) then you can search for recently recommended ones. I'd suggest you download the application pack so you can understand the process and forms, and then see how you feel.

HTH.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your friend was wrong, probably just out of date as applications to London stopped a few years ago. London will still be your visa office, but you must send it to Nova Scotia where it will be checked to make sure you're eligible, then once you've passed that first screening, they'll forward it to London for processing.

If you really need a consultant (most on the forum don't) then you can search for recently recommended ones. I'd suggest you download the application pack so you can understand the process and forms, and then see how you feel.

HTH.
As christmassompa said most people do not use a consultant, I would say a consultant is more for peace of mind then anything. If you get stuck on any of the forms their will be plenty on the forum whom have filled the same form and can offer advice. In the big scheme of things its an expensive business when you start doing IELTS, police certificates, then if your application goes through application fees, medical fees, shipping goods out etc. It will all mount up and then if you add a consultant its more cost, but its your choice and what you feel comfortable with. As christmasoompa suggested print off the forms and see what you think?

Best get your thinking cap on though as you will need to confirm your address and travel for at least ten years or upto the age of 18 whatever comes first.

I have had about 16 addresses and my girlfriend about the same, addd to that myself and my girlfriend have frequently travelled means there will be some additional sheets with the application
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:11 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

We used a consultant (based in Canada). They have done a great job. If you still feel you need one, send me a PM and I'll supply their information.

Would we use a consultant again? No... but we are more familiar with the paperwork/process now and this Forum, so would do it on a self application basis.

The process may initially seem daunting but, as mentioned above, if you are stumped with completing a particular form either the information is in the Canada Wiki, has been previously asked and can be searched for within the forum or, failing that, ask and people will help.

Good luck!

Last edited by james.mc; Jan 13th 2013 at 11:15 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Shelld79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Am I right in thinking that there is only one intake to Canada a year through the swilled workers route. I will be looking for work as a LD nurse and my hubby is a roofer. Although I will be trying to find emplyment as the main earner my hubby will work. Would we both need to take the IELTS test?

I was also thinking of finding a job before I apply, am I doing this the wrong way???

Iceboy, how are you getting on with paperwork?

Shelld79

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
As places will be limited you will need to get your paperwork in for the re-opening of the FSW visa stream on May 4th and your paperwork needs to go to Sydney in Canada not London.

Also bear in mind you will need to get your credentials checked, get police certificates, references from employers, sit the IELTS and fill in a whole host of forms. So if you are realistically considering a move to Canada you need to start researching and gathering your paperwork asap.

A good start is to check out the wiki, browse the forum and after all that if you have more questions then post a question and the forum members will be more than happy to help