Wikiposts

Points questions

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:44 am
Kent to (hopefully) Banff

neilrufc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Points questions

Hello again,

We have decided to look at all options open to us - skilled visa, TWP with arranged employment and the working holiday.

I have just done the skilled visa test on the cic website.

I would like to ask a question regarding education please -

My Wife was at school for 11 years (junior school to comprehensive school leaving at 16.

She went to collagge for 1 year and completed a GNVQ foundation in Health and social care.

She has since recieved a NVQ level 2 in childcare 1 year course (day release from work once a week.

She also gained NVQ level 3 in childcare 2 years day release from work.

I have read previous posts but it has confused me to be honest and hope somebody could guide me please as to what option to select on the skilled worker test please?

On the spouse part of the test, for myself I have completed 11 years at school and the went on to recieve a GNVQ in Business and Finance foundation which took one year at collage. Does this count as a diploma?

Thanks for reading,

A very confused Neil and his sweetheart
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Points questions

Originally Posted by neilrufc
Hello again,

On the spouse part of the test, for myself I have completed 11 years at school and the went on to recieve a GNVQ in Business and Finance foundation which took one year at collage. Does this count as a diploma?
Your sweetheart ( aw bless!) NVQ level 3 - does it state diploma? if not then the level 3 is worth 2 years further education so I believe

As for yourself - This is a foundation level so no! I believe it would be worth mentioning in a letter as an explanation but I believe that Level 1 - 2 is basic level and generally not worth much, level 3 is a higher and often states that it is a diploma etc so if it states a diploma then count it up as one
Google the issuing body for a more accurate explanation of each NVQ you never know your luck. Also this is only my opinion which I have gained from researching my own qualifications, it is a very grey area!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:18 am

Hi,

sorry, its intermediate not foundation
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:27 am

sorry forgot to say thank you for your reply, if the NVQ counts as a 2 year diploma or 2 years further education, with myself as the standard 11 years education, we just meet the 67 point marks. If my GNVQ intermediate Business and finance counts as a diploma / extra year education, we fly pass the points mark.

This is getting reaally stressfull but guess it's part of the process of a new life hey.....

First BUNAC visas put to the back of our mind due to not being allowed to rent the house out - hense - we have to sell up.

TWP looks like a good idea but arrange employment could be be difficult although there is a little light shining.

Skilled visa would be perfect. We are thinking of attending the Canadian seminar in October at London but I think we will learn more from this forum.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Try this

http://www.cityandguilds.com/42791.html

Absolute fab reading and will not actually clear anything up but I read it so I think everyone should have a nice long boring read of it!
Nah! hope this helps!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes it is all very confusing!
I have been lingering around these forums for a long time and with out any doubt I am almost daily finding out great information on here.
The education is very much a grey area and I have searched and search it but I am struggling to get any solid clear advice!
If my NVQ diploma is not recognized then it is almost certainly the end of my dream, or will certainly knock me back for a couple of years!
I have also looked into all the same routes. It is really hard to network from here using the net and the telephone, but I have myself had little glimmers of hope. I dont intend to give in, people are claiming it is becoming more difficult to get a LMO, but I think that is all down to the current economic situation which is beginning to move (admittedly not very fast) so there is hope!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hello again,

We have decided to look at all options open to us - skilled visa, TWP with arranged employment and the working holiday.

I have just done the skilled visa test on the cic website.

I would like to ask a question regarding education please -

My Wife was at school for 11 years (junior school to comprehensive school leaving at 16.

She went to collagge for 1 year and completed a GNVQ foundation in Health and social care.

She has since recieved a NVQ level 2 in childcare 1 year course (day release from work once a week.

I have read previous posts but it has confused me to be honest and hope somebody could guide me please as to what option to select on the skilled worker test please?

Thanks for reading,

A very confused Neil and his sweetheart
Your problem is going to be the number of years to complete the course, in your case you have 12 years of education so the most you can expect is 12 points. There was a federal court ruling, http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/200...2009fc518.html which sort of applies to your wife. She has a 11 years of schooling + 1 year for the NVQ (full time study) but her further accomplishments were not full time, so the most, I would think that she could hope to get is 15 points.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Surely
NVQ City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma is classed as 2 years full time education diploma or equivelant?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:12 pm

wow - really confused now. I remeber she spent 1 day equalling 8 hours a week, 32 hours a month at collage for the nvq level 2.

After she completed the nvq 2, she went on to do a two year course for the nvq level 3. I will confirm what how many hours in month she did in the morning.

If she gets 15 points, we miss out by 2 points so it would be back to the other 2 options :-(

When it comes to the language section for a English born / speaking individual. Am I right in thinking that fluent English speaking, listening etc counts as top marks on the point test?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:17 pm

I hope so but not too sure. My Wife has a further education - 1 year at collage, then a course that took 1 year to complete (nvq level 2), then the nvq level 3 that took 2 years to complete. From what PMM mention, it was not full time education which is a stinker if thats the case.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

For the English I believe it is if you were taught in the UK and it is your first language then you max the score on them!
French is quite hard to score points if you are not fluent, even though I did OK in school with the chalk board and stone carvings many years ago I am nowhere near getting any points for French, others have commented that it is quite difficult to score points in French!
I still believe that if you are level 3 and over and the certificate issued states diploma then you have the equivalent of 2 years education diploma. The key is the wording of the question, it states "or equivalent"
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:31 pm

if so we hit 72 points

I think I will research more on this tomorrow then decided whether to take the skilled option - it's looking good at the sec.

If you get the skilled visa, while looking for work in Canada in your trade, can you do various jobs while you wait for work in the trade?

I hear 6 - 12 months is the waiting time for the skilled visa, is that the same for jobs in providences where jobs are classed as under pressure? My Wife has her medical already (taken for the BUNAC visa) and is valid up until September 2010. Do you think that would cut the timeline down?

If my words seem a bit muddle - sorry it's late and enjoying a bottle of classic cider :/
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry but those questions are beyond me!
However "enjoying a bottle of classic cider" that is well within my grasp!
Anyway Cheers and goodnight! past cinderellas bedtime!
PS I am Mr Cinders before you say anything!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:42 pm

lol...

I am off to bed also, been a bit of a late one tonight exploring the skilled visa option.

If anyone has further information on the NVQ issue, please could you share your experiences / advice?

Thanks and goodnight
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

if so we hit 72 points

I think I will research more on this tomorrow then decided whether to take the skilled option - it's looking good at the sec.

If you get the skilled visa, while looking for work in Canada in your trade, can you do various jobs while you wait for work in the trade?

I hear 6 - 12 months is the waiting time for the skilled visa, is that the same for jobs in providences where jobs are classed as under pressure? My Wife has her medical already (taken for the BUNAC visa) and is valid up until September 2010. Do you think that would cut the timeline down?

If my words seem a bit muddle - sorry it's late and enjoying a bottle of classic cider :/
1. Actually it usually works out longer for a PNP as you have to go through the province and then the Feds.
2. She would require a new medical as well.