Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Points are like Liz Taylor's ex-hubbies

Points are like Liz Taylor's ex-hubbies

Old May 27th 2004, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough
Default Points are like Liz Taylor's ex-hubbies

What I am trying to say is that they aren't that important and totally relative to each situation.

If anyone thinks that they are cutting it really close by their estimate, don't even try to apply. The evaluating officer most likely will grade you 20% less than what you thought you should have.

I am not an expert and this is purely on my experience. I thought that with my credentials I would get an 78-79, but indeed the Quebec representative who graded me at the interview told me that I barely passed with the minimum possible, (67-68).

Good luck ya'll!
Old May 27th 2004, 6:06 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points are like Liz Taylor's ex-hubbies

Congrats on passing anyway.

It may help others if you can tell us in what areas you were overestimating your points, and the reasons given (if any) for cutting them back.

Thanks

Iain

Originally posted by prodigyking
What I am trying to say is that they aren't that important and totally relative to each situation.

If anyone thinks that they are cutting it really close by their estimate, don't even try to apply. The evaluating officer most likely will grade you 20% less than what you thought you should have.

I am not an expert and this is purely on my experience. I thought that with my credentials I would get an 78-79, but indeed the Quebec representative who graded me at the interview told me that I barely passed with the minimum possible, (67-68).

Good luck ya'll!
Old May 27th 2004, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by iaink
Congrats on passing anyway.

It may help others if you can tell us in what areas you were overestimating your points, and the reasons given (if any) for cutting them back.

Thanks

Iain

You can't really see the officer's scorecard. But I think that the language points were cut down, especially the French estimate. I don't even think he gave me a full score on English, which is a little frustrating. I think my English is better than that of a lot of native speakers.
Old May 27th 2004, 9:27 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You can't really see the officer's scorecard. But I think that the language points were cut down, especially the French estimate. I don't even think he gave me a full score on English, which is a little frustrating. I think my English is better than that of a lot of native speakers.
I guess you didnt take the tests? IELTS and whatever the french one is?

Iain
Old May 27th 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

I guess you didnt take the tests? IELTS and whatever the french one is?

Iain
One would think that 7 years of going through the ropes of the American educational system including a bachelors degree from an accredited university would make up for it.
Old May 27th 2004, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I know, everyone thinks that, and it really doesnt seem fair, but Im afraid the standard advice here is that if you are not a native English / French speaker (ie "born and bred"), then it is best to take the tests so you know exactly where you stand, and take the decision out of the discresion of the immigration official. I know it doesnt help you now (thankfully you passed anyway), but maybe this post will help others to decide to take the test, rather than risk catching an officer on a bad day!

All the best

Iain

One would think that 7 years of going through the ropes of the American educational system including a bachelors degree from an accredited university would make up for it.
Old May 27th 2004, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

prodigy346 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't compare Quebec and Federal. Quebec is FAR more discretionary. That's why their point system isn't even on their website.

I know, everyone thinks that, and it really doesnt seem fair, but Im afraid the standard advice here is that if you are not a native English / French speaker (ie "born and bred"), then it is best to take the tests so you know exactly where you stand, and take the decision out of the discresion of the immigration official. I know it doesnt help you now (thankfully you passed anyway), but maybe this post will help others to decide to take the test, rather than risk catching an officer on a bad day!

All the best

Iain
Old May 27th 2004, 2:16 pm
xxx
Forum Regular

xxx is an unknown quantity at this point

You should adviced people to take IELTS rather than saying not to apply

If you have IELTS in your hand they cannot cut a single mark , Peroid, same is the case of Education , age etc,
Only we can get discriminated in the sense we estimate a 16 on English with a piece of paper evidence and the officer does not seems to be impressed and he gives what ever he likes,

It is clearly mentioned to take the IELTS , so the it would be nice if you suggest to takes others IELTS
Old May 28th 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by xxx
You should adviced people to take IELTS rather than saying not to apply

If you have IELTS in your hand they cannot cut a single mark , Peroid, same is the case of Education , age etc,
Only we can get discriminated in the sense we estimate a 16 on English with a piece of paper evidence and the officer does not seems to be impressed and he gives what ever he likes,

It is clearly mentioned to take the IELTS , so the it would be nice if you suggest to takes others IELTS
I appologize for not knowing what IELTS is. I have been in US for too long. When I started college I had to take TOEFL but that was in 1998.
Old May 28th 2004, 1:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I appologize for not knowing what IELTS is. I have been in US for too long. When I started college I had to take TOEFL but that was in 1998.
IELTS is one of only two english language proficiency tests recognised by canadian immigration / citizenship, the other is CELPIP, which I think is only available in Canada. This is clearly stated on the cic website in the section on language proficiency. I imagine the same is true for Quebec Provincial nomination, but I dont know for sure.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-3-1.html

Iain